Bikes dl cc categories?

Xaos

Hi got thai dl, was stopped in Pattaya last night on 1000cc bike, cop said my licence is for 150cc, do they even got cattegories like that? I was stopped 1000 times before and no one ever said it.

Did he try scam me?

Have asked around about this and come up with different answers from my Thai friends it seems some believe if it is the first licence or temporary e category then 150cc is the limit if  category f 5 year licence then your ok . Seems to be a very grey area that even Thais aren't sure about

I don't see any cc restrictions or class/category on my license. The only thing is on the back it has a text "Restriction of use" but then nothing else there. I'd assume if there were licenses which were restricted to 150cc, that's where it would say so.

There are no tiered licenses for bike here like in some other countries. There were talks and ideas floating around to introduce a big bike license but nothing has been implemented yet.

Pretty clear he tried to scam you imho.

• Like 1

When you have passed your Thai motorbike test or have received a Thai motorcycle DL from presenting your home country full DL including a motorcycle category the only Thai motorbike DL law I know of is from 15 to 18 you can only ride up to 110 cc.

• Like 1

I think a while ago i read some news that they plan to introduce two motorbike classes, smalle bikes and big bikes, but they didn't do this yet. So currently the only limitation i'm aware of is that under 18 year olds can only drive up to 110cc, but other than that the license should be good to drive any motorbike.

• Like 1

The police stopped me often enough in Bangkok, mostly for not riding on the left lane, and nobody ever complained about the wrong license.

I guess it the police would ask me about it I would ask them to show me an example of the big-bike license. And I guess there is no such thing...

In Pattaya it's not unreasonable for police to think a big bike rider might be a tourist who doesn't know about the local regulations and might be easy prey. I assume this was the case here and that's also why the officer let him go once he saw he's not a tourist due to speaking Thai.

Have asked around about this and come up with different answers from my Thai friends it seems some believe if it is the first licence or temporary e category then 150cc is the limit if  category f 5 year licence then your ok . Seems to be a very grey area that even Thais aren't sure about
It's 5 years licence my 2nd one

When you have passed your Thai motorbike test or have received a Thai motorcycle DL from presenting your home country full DL including a motorcycle category the only Thai motorbike DL law I know of is from 15 to 18 you can only ride up to 110 cc.
I did full test here

6 minutes ago, Xaos said:

I did full test here

Good on ya so you can ride anything as long as your over 18 years old. 

More training would be beneficial to anyone just passing a motorcycle test here in Thailand IMHO. though, just saying.

Good on ya so you can ride anything as long as your over 18 years old. 
More training would be beneficial to anyone just passing a motorcycle test here in Thailand IMHO. though, just saying.
Over 18

I started on scooter then 300cc then 821cc now 1000cc

Whole test was a joke really.

When I was doing car dl in poland as 18 y old I, was only 1 passing it. Was lucky i guess, but that how tough it was.

3 hours ago, Xaos said:

Over 18

I started on scooter then 300cc then 821cc now 1000cc

Whole test was a joke really.

When I was doing car dl in poland as 18 y old I, was only 1 passing it. Was lucky i guess, but that how tough it was.

Well done, ride safe and dodge the devil always. ????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only CC restriction for Thai motorcycle licence is 110cc for those under 18 (15-17years old) only they'll even get nicked for riding a 125, which is hardly different from 110 cc and to think the law was written in the age of 2-stroke it made even less sense

There's a 'big-bike' licence category in the pipeline now but it's not law yet

I would have called his bluff and asked for him to give me a ticket. Then take it to Soi 9 and ask them if it is valid. If not if has his details on the ticket.
He would tick different reason i guess cuz there is no such offence listed. But im aware now will rekt them next time.