Thai Post in the wars again! Postie says just throw mail away if it's not important

webfact

In another region of Buriram province I'm pretty sure that less than half my mail gets through. I now use a PO Box situated 26 Km away. I was sent a One Time Password by Bangkok Bank and I never received it; after going through the lengthy procedure of form filling I was aghast when they said they were going to do this by post, no alternative. I still don't have Internet banking.

• Like 2

Actually not surprising out guards act as the drop off point for parcels and such if we are not home.  They just flag us down when we come into the complex.

She probably had most of the people coming into her store anyway and it is a good way to drive traffic into your store.

• Like 1

I asked the gf about mail delivery in her village (in Sa Kaeo) and she said much the same thing - the mail (and parcels) are dropped off at the pooyai baan who then delivers it to (whoever) in the village (or they can go to the pooyai baan's house to pick up the mail).
Kind of worrisome for me (if I moved there) as I tend to order a lot of stuff online but in rural areas it would be kind of hard to deliver to individual houses as many of them are on sois that aren't even numbered (or named) and the homes aren't numbered either.

In rural areas in Canada the mail is delivered to a community mail box. Each home in the community can register for a box and if they get more people that there are boxes, they can easily slap in another unit with another 15-20 or so individual boxes in it, something like these ones:

super-mailboxes.jpg.ee7973e78a23812086795e3fcf66b8b5.jpg

The largest box is the "parcel" box. If you have a parcel (that will fit into that box) they put it in there and then put the key in your mailbox. After you get your parcel you drop the key in the "outgoing mail" slot so they can retrieve it on the next delivery. Parcels too large to fit usually result in you having to make a trip to the nearest post office to collect.

It works in small, remote communities where everyone knows each other and there aren't a lot of "strangers" passing through that might take a crack at breaking into those boxes, which may be somewhat centrally located but rarely in a "secure" location.

Still better than just being dumped in a box on someone's porch and hoping your mail will eventually make it to your house (or still be there when you go to wherever to pick it up) !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

And she even did that for 4 whole years!?? 

Amazing. There's are 2 simple event flows that will clear all this up.

1. Thais never to anything for nothing or without expectation of reward.

2. This one is a pooyay bahn.

3. All pooyay bahn's should be assumed to be corrupt.

'Favour' my foot.

Action to be taken:

1. Sack the postie, no pension

2. Sack the pooyay bahn for receiving post addressed to other people and assume she was receiving corrupt money for attending to the mail.

3. Rinse and repeat, this will not be the only case.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Katia said:

I wish my postman would toss my unimportant mail... or even better, send the junk and ads back and let the senders deal with their own crap rather than making me do it.

Careful what you wish for, they may start opening it up to check if it is important to junk mail.

You may never get another letter delivered, worst still, only falang mail.. toss it!!!

Same where I live, in a large Moo Baan of 14 apartment blocks, I'm the only foreign resident.

Many times the maids who do the area cleaning pick my letters out of the bins & put it in my door...

The postie cannot read English although the building number/room number is understandable.

wait for a post man to be shafted...

he is willfully interfering with a public service that operates under the Crown

his choices 'are' hopefully now 'were' to:

- deliver

- return

- shift to dead letter office

I have learned that postal service in Thailand is VERY SLOW.  I can get a letter from the USA, which is 8,000+ miles in 7 to 10 days,  but I send a letter to Mai Rim, which is less than 30 miles and it takes 10 to 14 days.  GO FIGURE.

• Like 1

Had a very important affidavit sent EMS by the Embassy to my house in a moo Baan.

I guess I was out or didn't hear him but the postie left it with the security guys.

They had logged it and handed it over when i raced down to ask them. ..the "acceptance" had been signed for in Thai by one if the guards.

The EMS tracking online said "delivered"!!

It was a VIP letter for! my extension of stay!

Lucky I guess that they know me.

• Like 1

Kerryd said:

in rural areas it would be kind of hard to deliver to individual houses as many of them are on sois that aren't even numbered (or named) and the homes aren't numbered either.

(saves quoting the whole post)

There's a great solution for that: https://what3words.com/

It's being fitted to some new Mercedes cars. 

Maybe in your village. My head man has gone so far out of his way to assist I've been embarrassed. Maybe your attitude is a contributing factor ???

Or simply a tendency to make sweeping generalizations based on a few cases.

I've lived in .my current home 21 years and in that time seen at least 3 village heads (2 male, 1 female) come and go. 1 was awful, 1 was so-so and the current one is terrific. Could 't ask for better.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe in your village. My head man has gone so far out of his way to assist I've been embarrassed. Maybe your attitude is a contributing factor ???

I've lived in .my current home 21 years and in that time seen at least 3 village heads (2 male, 1 female) come and go. 1 was awful, 1 was so-so and the current one is terrific. Could 't ask for better.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Likewise mailmen and post offices vary. In my village -- despite being small without street names or numbers -- a postal employee does come round daily and deliver mail. However for the first 15 years of my living there he would not deliver mine but rather brought it to the nearby meditation center and I would have to collect it there. My house is off the road down a long driveway so I tried installing a mailbox right up on the road, but neither this nor repeated requests helped. I had the house built on what was previously unused former rice fields and his position sermed to be that there never used to be a house there and shouldn't be now.

Then around 5 years ago he retired and his replacement immediately began delivering my mail into my mailbox...and has done ever since. [emoji1]

• Like 2