Can I move to Australia?

I am 56, Canadian with Thai wife and 2 thai/canuck kids.  

Retired with about US$1milllion in assets.

My wife is a chef and could open a Thai restaurant in Australia.

I understand to apply for an Australia visa costs $6,000.

What might the odds be for us to get permission to move there?

22 minutes ago, foxteen said:

I would not go to Australia for Thai Restaurant ...we have so many ..i mean alot but against all odds you restaurant can be noticed and the business will flow. Main cities is Sydney,Melbourne and Queensland...Perth is small. Don't forget Australia has 24 Million people and the market is not that big. If you eventually decide have to go to top location and face high rent but is always possible open a business and do well. Food must be good and tasty and service. 

Yes.. rent is he killer.. for a home and especially for a business.. not a lot of change out of a million buying a home in any of the big cities..  I like the suggestion above... Costa Del Sol.. Spain..

• Like 2

If you're serious about Oz, you need to check carefully whether you & your spouse meet the criteria for settlement there. At age 56 you probably will need more money than US$1m - just to get in, let alone live - but that would depend at least in part on what job skills you bring. You need to be able to supply skills that are in short supply (financial services? driving a huge mining excavator? nurse? victim? refugee? ... ).

If you can get in, then your wife & kids aren't a problem providing everything is above board & (as for Thai visas) PROVABLE (eg marriage certificate, photos, joint names on bills, car & house ownership ...). Health & police checks mandatory. As others have suggested, I doubt that 'Thai chef' will cut it with Immigration.

There are millions of people (eg 'refugees') who want to settle in Oz. The government has just announced a few weeks ago that the numbers of people entering Oz for residency is being reduced from c200,000 a year to c130,000. The big cities are getting overcrowded & not adapting well to the continuing flood of newcomers. This is probably a short-term political gesture (Oz NEEDS 200,000 a year) but it's certainly getting tougher to get in, and all but impossible without either (1) lots of money or (2) family reunion or (3) refugee status (but there's a million of them on the waiting list) or (4) appropriate job skills.

If you wanted to move to a regional city or town that has a population decline or a skill shortage it would improve your chances. Rent would be cheaper, housing would be cheaper and yor wife could get a gig initially at an RSL or club or a restaurant. Most Thai restaurants are run by Chinese. I took my girlfriend to two that the staff could not speak Thai.

• Like 2

I'm based in Thailand, but am currently in Australia on holiday. Yes, there are plenty of Thai restaurants, and Thai people, but there is always room for a new one.

I suggest you work through the Australian Immigration web site information. Most allow you to test the criteria so you can see if you're likely to be successful. I would guess that a business type visa might be suitable depending on the asset requirements. If you're determined, you'll get residency eventually, even if you have to go over (with the family) on an initial 6 month study visa. The trick is getting a legal visa to Australia that allows you to work at least some of the time. Once you have that, you can extend your stay indefinitely (while working to support yourself).

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1

I do not know if there are exemptions for Canadians but trying to get a visa to work in Oz is very difficult for a Thai. We would like to go for 3 months each year for my wife (47 yo) to do fruit picking but cannot. There is no work visa for anyone over 30 years old without special skills or sponsored by an existing employer.

As others have said you would need to look at the regional/rural areas as well.

For me to my wife there on a permanent basis the current wait time for a temporary visa is about 13 months and the permanent visa will take another 2 years after that. The fees are now over $7000 so check the immigration website.

Edited by GreasyFingers
added content.
  • Like 1

And here am I trying to persuade my wife (Thai) to move back to Thailand (with me of course). 

Half of your funds ($1.4mAUD) will go into a residence if you decided to buy in Sydney or Melbourne. As others have said there are many Thai Restaurants in the populated areas of OZ so a fair bit of serious research (which you would no doubt undertake in any event) would be essential.

I’m not aware of immigration requirements, so my apprehension is driven by how OZ is changing, not for the better insofar as I am concerned.

This is of course my personal opinion and would be of no relevance to many.

• Like 1

Totally agree with most of what has been stated so far, Australia has become very expensive particularly Sydney where I use to live.

Before you start exploring Visa options I would suggest you do some research on what your costs will be for the business.

If you are going to operate legally and by that I mean complying with the legislation / regulations you will find Australia is highly regulated in all areas and the cost of employing staff is high perhaps things you have not experienced before.

Rent has already been mentioned.

I would suggest you have a look on the internet at some of the government sites in the States where you are thinking of living there is information for people thinking of opening a business, also some of the Employer/ Business Associations provide information

As has been previously stated in real terms the amount of money you have isn’t huge when you look at the costs in Australia and you are going to have to live until your business is sustainable.

I wish you luck but as one who operated a successful small business do your research on the on costs as that is what often cripples a business.

• Like 1

If you are in Bangkok the visa office that approves visa for Australia has a service once or twice a week , not the Embassy, you can sit down with them and they will tell you every thing you want to know. give them a call very good service.  if you are not in Thailand contact the Australian Embassy near you, they are always very helpful . they will tell you much more than any one on TV can. 

I had two Thai restaurants at difference times in Australia, the first one was in a small town in Queensland,, the town had six Thai Restaurants, We did OK  but not great, the second one was in West End Brisbane, in a restaurant area, did not do so good, both was very hard work and long hours would never have another restaurant again, if your wife is a real Thai chef she would get work easy and earn good money.  

• Like 1

Have you been to Australia?   https://canada.embassy.gov.au/otwa/Visas_and_Migration.html

Get in Touch with Canadians living and working in Australia.  

I spent three months travelling around Australia on ETA visa.  I saw many Thai restaurants for sale and/or closed. 

Australia is Very Nice place to visit. Next Year, I will go again add New Zealand  too .  Lovely and friendly people 

In Canada Thai food made to Canadian or Thai taste does not sell well.  Just look at Vancouver's Thai restaurants market, most close as soon as they open. 

...Wish You All the Best ... BeHappY Life is short... 

57 minutes ago, merlen10002 said:

If you are in Bangkok the visa office that approves visa for Australia has a service once or twice a week , not the Embassy, you can sit down with them and they will tell you every thing you want to know. give them a call very good service.  if you are not in Thailand contact the Australian Embassy near you, they are always very helpful . they will tell you much more than any one on TV can. 

I had two Thai restaurants at difference times in Australia, the first one was in a small town in Queensland,, the town had six Thai Restaurants, We did OK  but not great, the second one was in West End Brisbane, in a restaurant area, did not do so good, both was very hard work and long hours would never have another restaurant again, if your wife is a real Thai chef she would get work easy and earn good money.  

Perhaps you paid your staff correctly. Both my wife and stepson have worked in Thai restaurants in Oz, the reality is pay is woeful if owned by Thais, no sick leave, holiday pay etc The Thai restaurants I know on the Sunshine Coast are either owned by Thais or a white guy with Thai wife. Tough to make a living income, but a few do so.

Was in Pattaya a few weeks ago and went to Mays Thai Restaurant. IMO they would have a good chance of being successful in Oz with the right location. OP check them out next time in Pattaya.

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

OP: If you have the required background / skills it may be easier to apply for a family migrant visa. However, intro info for an investment visa below.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/business-innovation-and-investment-188

Note Australia is gradually introducing more challenging criteria for investment / retirement visas. To open a Thai restaurant and achieve business success would require very good business development skills. Generally a good idea not to purchase an existing Thai restaurant business.

Yes, good options for your childrens education and nice lifestyle but expensive to live and a difficult business environment.  I agree with a previous post, dont buy an existing business.

Good luck

5 hours ago, merlen10002 said:

And if you do not have an appointment at vfs it will cost you 627 baht before you see anyone.

Go to Portugal and get an investment visa by buying an apartment for 350K Euro in Lisbon. This will open up 26 country Eurozone for you and your family to live and work. And there is no feaking 90-day reporting, no money in the bank, and yearly immigration hassle. For children, it won't be difficult to learn new languages. Portugal is still cheap. 350K Euro will give you a visa and a place to live. For Spain, you have to spend around 500K. There are not many Thai restaurants in Lisbon unlike Australia. I have seen a few Chinese and Indian restaurants. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Go to Portugal and get an investment visa by buying an apartment for 350K Euro in Lisbon. This will open up 26 country Eurozone for you and your family to live and work. And there is no feaking 90-day reporting, no money in the bank, and yearly immigration hassle. For children, it won't be difficult to learn new languages. Portugal is still cheap. 350K Euro will give you a visa and a place to live. For Spain, you have to spend around 500K.

Indeed,Portugal is a very nice place.

As other posters have pointed out setting up a restaurant in OZ is expensive, labour intensive and drenched in red tape.

My medium sized country town is awash with club/pub food,coffee shops,a couple of Thai,3 Chinese and 2 Indian restaurants whilst being ringed with the usual fast food outlets.

I would agree that getting a job as a chef might be a more viable option-at least in the short term.

I also sense that Thai is now rather old hat..sometimes it pays to be a little different.

On the other hand..this beautiful little restaurant was 80 kilometers away up a mountainous dirt road and it was going gangbusters last week.

186.JPG

185.JPG

179.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I had two Thai restaurants at difference times in Australia, the first one was in a small town in Queensland,, the town had six Thai Restaurants, We did OK  but not great, the second one was in West End Brisbane,

My wife's collegue went to Australia, worked in brisbane in a thai restaurant and few months later was the owner of it..she married the boss and is Ozzy now i believe.

Didn't see her for some years now. If you look good everything is easy.

• Haha 1

Good luck with the paperwork. They want to know when you born and why. It was a big hassle to get all the documents and everything has to be translated in english and a justice of the peace has to singn. Then you have to go to the doctors at the office for immigration and maybe a 25 year old girl tell's you about your future, means yes or no. The 6000AU$ will be gone so or so.

And it will be not easy for your lady to stay far away from home with two kids and a restaurant. It is everything different there and the Aussies are very conservative.

Think again....

• Like 1

the Australian government will take all you own just to get in and then leave you in a state of mental limbo for the rest of your life.  Your wife will not be happy and according to Immigration figures, by far the most of Thais want to return home.

For me I would seriously consider Ecuador these days where the pot it legal.  :cheesy: