‘Phoenix’ substandard – more officials face legal action

webfact

I can understand newcomers expressing amazement and indignation but the amount of old guys bothers me.  This is Thailand after all.  If the place is so terrible then why do so many come here and please don't tell me it is for the beaches.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

[........  With the number of accidents on water and on the roads, it seems that, whenever possible, flying is the only safe way to travel.

I live in the hopeful belief that air travel in Thailand is indeed safer; but: Air transport officials of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) have said they will have an official air safety master plan, but not before 2022......

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Substandard to what?

the whole system of registration, inspection maintenance records follow up fines issued needs to be questioned 

the government not doing their job up to the sinking should be held accountable...

this substandardness really extends to all industries in LOS

LOS = Land of Substandardness

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

With the number of accidents on water and on the roads, it seems that, whenever possible, flying is the only safe way to travel.

I am a pilot. You have a very myopic view.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I thought the biggest joke was transferred to immigration? What is happening here? He cannot let the police franchise go? Is he having second thoughts about taking the position? He has zero authority in police matters anymore. He is now an immigration franchisee. Granted, the top franchisee in the nation, but still he has to rely on immigration only, for his rather lavish living, and presumably enormous income. 

As stated in the article: “More officials or engineers who were involved in the plans, and who approved the boat’s registration, will face legal action. The former Phuket Marine Office Chief has already been arrested and facing legal action for ignoring his duties.” 

We all hope that the marine office chief gets sentenced to decades in prison, for being so lax in his job. Will that happen? One has doubts. But, will anyone further up the food chain take responsibility? How about high ranking army members, who are responsible for public safety, and safeguarding the tourism cash cow? Bet none of them ever see the inside of a jail cell.

Prayuth was installed to protect the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, those that are in power, and the police. He has done a fine job in that assignment. 

Yes-bang on.

'Franchise' is the correct word and concept

1 hour ago, Dap said:

I don't understand what the connection is between Immigration and the sinking of the Phoenix. Anyone?

Sinking of the boat involves chinese deaths which directly affect Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand . Immigration had came up with a couple of incentives like free visa to encourage more Chinese arrivals. Since immigration handles all arrivals to Thailand, they are certainly involved in ensuring tourist safety and good health. Immigration department is part of the Royal Thai Police force.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phoenix substandard,,, substandard to what? western standards ? Don't forget that this is Asia , One can't expect everything being the same standard that one is use to in the Western countries.People all over the world use concrete for boat ballast , Any old engine can be Marinised to fit in a boat,car or truck or tuk tuk engine . 

• Like 1

Interesting that, apart from the watertight door issue, they have picked on ‘problems’ that are not problems. Nothing wrong with a truck or construction equipment power plant used in a boat. Marine grade glass won’t be easily broken by passengers without tools anyway and ballast, cement, pig iron or lead, is often used to trim a boat. I am seeing a way out here.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dap said:

I don't understand what the connection is between Immigration and the sinking of the Phoenix. Anyone?

It is another case of the publicity seeking desperado biggest joke over reaching beyond his ability, capacity, or understanding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

Sinking of the boat involves chinese deaths which directly affect Chinese tourist arrivals to Thailand . Immigration had came up with a couple of incentives like free visa to encourage more Chinese arrivals. Since immigration handles all arrivals to Thailand, they are certainly involved in ensuring tourist safety and good health. Immigration department is part of the Royal Thai Police force.

Please share with us a single instance of immigration engaging in any sort of public safety. Anywhere. Anything. 

Did not think so. No ministry in this country takes public or traffic safety seriously, much less immigration. 

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is another case of the publicity seeking desperado biggest joke over reaching beyond his ability, capacity, or understanding. 

He is the one who gets things done. In this case raise the boat and have an investigation. And while here he also ended a years lasting case of land encroachment.

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The vessel looks like it been designed by the same guy who came up with the blue print for the Thai busses, too high and narrow hull.

Are you joking or just trolling. No coaches are built in Thailand. Only the truck chassis style with custom coach work. Rest are all imports. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Please share with us a single instance of immigration engaging in any sort of public safety. Anywhere. Anything. 

Did not think so. No ministry in this country takes public or traffic safety seriously, much less immigration. 

I think this time, immigration ( big joke by proxy) is serious about tourist ( Chinese anyway) safety and well being. I can understand the situation with the immigration working in the front end to increase arrivals and the good work undone by unsafe practices from the tour companies.. phuket’s tourism livelihood is at stake here if not the whole of thailand’s .

3 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

Interesting that, apart from the watertight door issue, they have picked on ‘problems’ that are not problems. Nothing wrong with a truck or construction equipment power plant used in a boat. Marine grade glass won’t be easily broken by passengers without tools anyway and ballast, cement, pig iron or lead, is often used to trim a boat. I am seeing a way out here.....

My view exactly. External glass on sea worthy vessels is extremely strong so how they say the glass not breaking is a problem seams very odd. Added to the other 2 non faults, it looks like someone is being set up for a big fall. Did it take on water before capsizing? If not would watertight doors have made a difference even if they were closed properly? Maybe they should have used more cement or something heavier like lead to keep it upright. 

There must be a reason that they are blaming the boat design, maybe it's the easiest or most favourable path. I am sure that in any tragedy of this nature there are many, many small infringements all the way through that contributed to the deaths of the tourists as there are in many tragic accidents. I am sure that the Thais will lock up the right people...er not. An open and frank audit of everything, then a programmed solution to ensure that something like this is very unlikely to occur again is a much better path to follow, but of course who really wants to see qualified crew, certified inspections, safety equipment, obedience of the law etc. The Thais would much rather live in ignorance of anything that is actually necessary to ensure safe tourism as they prefer to live in the land of wishful thinking.....Thailand is safe, Thailand is safe.... everyone to their own. I like Thailand, but I am under no illusions that it is safe at all and for a long time have certainly avoided boats and will continue to do so.

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Remember that everyone that received brown envelopes passed 'X %' up the line, right up to the place nobody would ever dare to expose, so all the minnions will be spared from any serious punishment because they have paid their 'Protection Insurance' to the Powers that be.

This isn't China, where most of those involved would get a bullet in the head, this is Thailand, the 'Tolerant Society' that lets even murderer's go free by one route or another.

Any Court Cases will be drawn out over years or even decades and meanwhile it's business as usual.

I have to disagree with your post, yes X % was probably passed up the line as per usual... but when it comes to legal action, real jail time the "minions as you call them are expected to take the fall... the people in the ivory towers where no-one dares to go are spared any embarrassment!!