Do you hoard ‘Farang’ food?

Chomper Higgot

No I don't . I try to avoid processed food , especially meat. 

I like western food and eat out a couple of times per week , and make my own dinner the rest of the week.  As long as there are potatoes, carrots, onions, veggies, chicken etc available I don't need to hoard. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

About nine months ago I found fresh/frozen Australian corned beef vacuumed packed in Villa Mart PloenChit and Sukhumvit Soi 11. Purchased as much as I could carry. Never seen it since.

After 9 months, how much of it have you eaten?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

No. Considering the availability of fresh veggies and fruit, good quality rice as well as fish and seafood, I see absolutely no reason to eat western food when I am here. ........

But I would definitely hoard red wine, if I came across something decent and reasonably priced!

With you, it's red wine.  With others, it's cheese.  With me, it was a specific flavor of barbecue sauce that I found once, then it went out of stock for years.  When they came back into stock, I stocked up.  I left a lot behind for others, which turned out to be a mistake when I ran out after a few months and never saw that flavor again.  I resorted to making my own barbecue sauce.

• Like 2

I stock up here in Chiang Rai.. If tops have Jarlsberg cheese I usually buy a few packs as when its gone you can bet your bottom dollar it wont be back in for a long time . Same as Makro they get in Australian smoked salmon from Tasmania . I buy about 6 packets and leave a few there . It takes them about 2 months to get more stock

1 hour ago, Justin Side said:

I have learnt that if you find anything you like, buy the whole stock as you will probably never see it again.

This applies to lots of things here.

"Tops" in Surin stocked Mallon's sausage when they first opened (about 4 years ago). It sold like hot cakes for a month. Never seen it since. The price sticker is still on the fridge.

• Like 1

i lived and worked in mongolia 20 years ago, the local food could be pretty grim and all foreign food had to come by road. i would pop into the sparcely stocked supermarket a couple of times  a week to see if there had been a delivery of western products and stock up when there had been. thailand today is nothing like mongolia 20  years ago.

45 minutes ago, samsensam said:

...thailand today is nothing like mongolia 20  years ago.

Or like most of China today- with the possible exception of Tier 1 cities.  I get a kick out of the "imported goods" section of most Chinese supermarkets where the same crappy stuff that nobody buys back home languishes on the shelf for years.  Meanwhile the stuff that people actually crave from back home is there for a day or 2, then it's months before they get it back in.

I very rarely buy foreign food stuff in Thailand unless it is a heavy promotion, since I can live without, especially at those rip off prices, but when I go to my home country or have friends coming over, the freezer get stuffed.

Just a few days ago I had friend bring me President Camembert 1.70 Euro for 250gr - 515 Baht in Thailand

Chorizo dried salami 7.80 Euro per kilo - 1750 Baht in Thailand

Regular sliced salami with garlic. 0.5 Euro for 150 gram - Thailand about 300 Baht for similar.

Sliced Gouda cheese - forgot the price, but for sure again 1/5th of Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I very rarely buy foreign food stuff in Thailand unless it is a heavy promotion, since I can live without, especially at those rip off prices, but when I go to my home country or have friends coming over, the freezer get stuffed.

Just a few days ago I had friend bring me President Camembert 1.70 Euro for 250gr - 515 Baht in Thailand

Chorizo dried salami 7.80 Euro per kilo - 1750 Baht in Thailand

Regular sliced salami with garlic. 0.5 Euro for 150 gram - Thailand about 300 Baht for similar.

Sliced Gouda cheese - forgot the price, but for sure again 1/5th of Thailand.

I bet your fridge stinks even without the camembert

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

About twice a year, a supermarket chain in Chiang Mai used to get in Fray and Bentos steak and kidney pies.  These cook up wonderfully in the oven.  

But sad to say, as soon as any hit the shelves, they're all gone!

Why they can't place a larger order is beyond me.  Same obviously applies to corned beef.

A limit of 1 or 2 per customer might help.

• Like 1