National Alcoholic Beverage Policy Committee to enforce law during New Year festival

rooster59

Of course, all hope is that people are so stupid that they will not think of buying alcohol in advance. And local stores that sell alcohol at any time, day or night, suddenly change their mind about selling alcohol. Always sold, but this time they will change their mind and close before the end of the holidays.

49 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Is there a legitimate reason that the police here do not appear to carry out the kind of daily activities, routine patrols or interaction with the public such as in Europe or the USA?

I believe going around making tea money collections, spending time keeping up with their Facebook profiles and taking a nap in the local police box are contributing factors.... :tongue:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Alcoholic beverages will not be sold to people under 20 years of age or to those who may already be drunk. 

Well that should stop the drunks from getting drunk, although they may become aggressive if they don't get what they want.

3 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

.......police here do not appear to carry out the kind of daily activities, routine patrols or interaction with the public such as in Europe or the USA?

One of the reason why I chose SEA. No nanny state, save us from ourselves over policing.

I understand the concern that many have but we knew the score on arrival and we still chose to reside here. Why would anyone want this country changed to the ways of the nations we left as we did leave for a reason, no?

Sure the road toll is astronomical but what % of that is foreigners taking all safety precautions? 

I’m more than happy to keep the status quo and look after myself 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

Yada Yada Yada

Thailand seems incapable of actual change.

These steps are purely reactionary.  They are the same programs rolled out with fanfare year after year after year - but there is nothing new, nothing proactive.  All that the authorities do is to maintain the same baseline of traffic deaths but the status quo never changes. 

It would take a complete redesign of how enforcement is carried out to actually change the carnage stats related traffic accidents.  But the Thai government shows no interest in altering the enforcement models, such as adopting First World traffic policing methods, so at the end of the day it truly is nothing but another year of "yada, yada, yada" - just so much blathering noise and photo-ops for the higher ups.

Yada, Yada, Yada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

imo I don't believe you can reduce the impaired driving unless you make the punishments extremely painful (1st offence jail/crippling fines for example). That's the way it was brought under control in many parts of the world, and Thailand will be no different. Some of the comments here talk about 'nanny state' enforcement and I get it, no one likes to be controlled by others. But when you're 'freedom' ends up taking the life or mobility of an innocent bystander/driver because you wanted to spend your last baht on another drink instead of a taxi, this is selfishness to the extreme. Driving loaded is basically saying that there is NO ONE as important as you, and if the shit hits the fan, too bad so sad. That's a hell of a way to go through life, believing your amusement is more important than anybody around you. To me this indicates a tragic lack of maturity, these people just never grew up. Enough of the rant - i just hope all here have a SAFE and happy holiday season with their friends and family and the new year brings a resolution to the TV immigration woes concerning $ and extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this may sound stupid, but it is only a few days before the holidays,why so late.Maybe,if back in say June/July, they sat down and said"what are we going to do about the death toll over the new year holiday".They would then be able to plan a proper course of actions that will actually help the situation.Instead of afterwards saying, well we told them to drive safely,not our fault they ignored our advice.

Sorry,I forgot where I was!!! planning in advance, what a strange concept!

maybe if the police got off their <deleted> and went out on the roads they would be able to pull over all the drunk drivers, set up booze buses like they do in Australia on main roads, arrest anyone over the limit and dont let them take their cars home. Toss them in jail and give huge fines, money and jail time seem to be the only things that upset thais but the fines are usually p*ss poor and they let them go home, its pathetic

18 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

To suggest that they will enforce an already existing law suggests that they don't currently do it.... can they really not recognise the root cause failings of partial enforcements and reactionary measures, instead of pro active enforcement on a continual basis....
Some of these statements both stun and sadden me, I fear that we will not progress here for a very long time......

Is there a legitimate reason that the police here do not appear to carry out the kind of daily activities, routine patrols or interaction with the public such as in Europe or the USA?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That meeting was a meeting about nothing. They have the laws but don't enforce it. We all know why? Oh oh, they are going to stop 20-year-olds from buying alcohol if they seem drunk What a bloody joke. But if you are 30, 40 50 60 and you are drunk you can buy alcohol. The meeting chaired by deputy PM number 4( never seen a country with so many deputy Pms) easy ways to pick 100,000 baht to attend meetings or is it only the deputy pm with the all the watches that were given to him only get that

14 hours ago, CeeGee said:

I know this may sound stupid, but it is only a few days before the holidays,why so late.Maybe,if back in say June/July, they sat down and said"what are we going to do about the death toll over the new year holiday".They would then be able to plan a proper course of actions that will actually help the situation.Instead of afterwards saying, well we told them to drive safely,not our fault they ignored our advice.

Sorry,I forgot where I was!!! planning in advance, what a strange concept!

Actually, back in June/July they should have been discussing what they would do about the death toll at that time of the year. As is shown year after year, the safest times to drive in Thailand are, ironically, New Year's and Songkran.