Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

If it is made compulsory it will be the final nail in the coffin for many expats
It's the best thing that can happen. Thousands will be saved from the nightmare of chronic illness with no money to pay the bill and forget go fund me, that only works for young TOURISTS and 70 year old expats have a terrible reputation as being in Thailand as PEDOS. SURE we know it's rare but in the West there minds are made up

Repatriation is the way to go IMO
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, phetphet said:
If it is a compulsory Thai Insurance policy, it will probably be drafted to only cover treatment in Thai government hospitals, and not private ones. They've got to make a profit somehow.

If it is made compulsory it will be the final nail in the coffin for many expats

It’s coming. Plan accordingly.

• Confused 1

It's the best thing that can happen. Thousands will be saved from the nightmare of chronic illness with no money to pay the bill and forget go fund me, that only works for young TOURISTS and 70 year old expats have a terrible reputation as being in Thailand as PEDOS. SURE we know it's rare but in the West there minds are made up

Repatriation is the way to go IMO
Its daft, lots of Thai families over here will lose their income support, oh well the Thai authorities don't seem to care 1 satang

How much does a 40,000/400,000 policy cost in Thailand?
For Cigna cover i looked at quote which gives decent cover. From memory, if fifty 3,000 baht a month, if Seventy 12,000 baht a month if Eighty 20,000 baht a month. That doesn't take account of any pre existing conditions.

The thai company cover somebody quoted was inadequate cover for anything serious and costly

On 12/24/2018 at 4:02 AM, superal said:

Some might say the writing is on the wall , what with the latest visa problems Big Jokes crack down and now this insurance event which I forecast 2 days ago .  It does feel as if a " clear out operation " is underway to reduce the less well off falang retirees .  Had a recent quote of 3-400 pounds a month for basic insurance ( age 71 ) . The best bet is a return to my country , UK ,  get a non imm; o visa and then an extended holiday insurance policy which will exceed the quoted requirements . I have done this and claimed when hospitalised . Policy paid out and well taken care of . Policy renewed and no premium added .

The Philippines & Vietnam are starting to attract a lot of interest 

Can you tell us what UK policy?

Are you sure ? I think your memory might be playing up (and that's not covered)

There is no way a 50 year old is getting cover that's of any use for 3,000 and would be even more surprised at that seventy year old quote. The thing is with Cigna you get a headline quote on the first page and then find on the second all the addons (incl outpatient which it sounds like you will need here) which is ridiculously expensive and adds a sizable chunk to the premium.

I've just ran a quote for a 50 year old (with ONLY outpatient cover so excluding eyes, dental, repatriation, and their counselling stuff which would all add more) and the very basic cover is 8,610baht per month going up to a whopping 17100 baht per month for Premium (or 24,272 per month incl all add ons) - so sadly your 3000baht is miles out.

When i did the online quote i used the biggest excess which was £6k at 50, i lowered the excess for 70 and 80. The point is people need to get quotes at different ages to get a feel just how expensive it is and its whopping.

Anyone who gets an online quote i recommend not giving your real phone number as they don't stop harassing you to take up the insurance

Yet another move to extort money from foreigners!

Go to hospital, pay your hospital bill first and then try to claim your expenses back! 

For those who have lived in Thailand for a while, we all know how difficult it is to claim for anything especially money.

My advise would be, save your money while you can, retire or live elsewhere. There are many more and better places on this planet. Sex can be found everywhere, not just in Thailand.

This place is in a downward spiral...

• Like 2

Spoke to a Cigna rep today and he has heard that Repatriation insurance may soon be compulsory for Thailand (obv could have just been trying to sell the add on) but seemed a genuine enough guy as he was clipping the premium down elsewhere for me.

Given I would rather be ill in a Thai hospital than a UK one that really would be a premium I wouldn't want to pay
The Cigna rep won't stop emailing or calling me to sign up. Did you get quotes at different ages? so you get a feel how expensive it gets when you most likely need it

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Benroon said:
Spoke to a Cigna rep today and he has heard that Repatriation insurance may soon be compulsory for Thailand (obv could have just been trying to sell the add on) but seemed a genuine enough guy as he was clipping the premium down elsewhere for me.

Given I would rather be ill in a Thai hospital than a UK one that really would be a premium I wouldn't want to pay

The Cigna rep won't stop emailing or calling me to sign up. Did you get quotes at different ages? so you get a feel how expensive it gets when you most likely need it

When I have been shopping for Medical Insurance in the past I have been given a chart which shows the increased premium per age bracket. 

The issue with this is that the Insurance premium increased by 12% per year more than the chart stated (and in some cases reported on ThaiVisa.com by more).

This is because the Chart states the prices at todays rates. The insurance company is unable to predict the cost of medical care and calculate future premiums. 

I would like to know how much insurance would cost me per year 20 years from now, I have no idea. I would like to see an insurance company which is prepared to cover me (on my currently level of cover) for a fixed amount per year which never changes (beyond inflation) - i.e. if I'm spending £2500 per year for my family now, I want to know I'm paying £2500 per year 20 years from now (corrected for inflation of course). 

When I have been shopping for Medical Insurance in the past I have been given a chart which shows the increased premium per age bracket. 

The issue with this is that the Insurance premium increased by 12% per year more than the chart stated (and in some cases reported on ThaiVisa.com by more).

This is because the Chart states the prices at todays rates. The insurance company is unable to predict the cost of medical care and calculate future premiums. 

I would like to know how much insurance would cost me per year 20 years from now, I have no idea. I would like to see an insurance company which is prepared to cover me (on my currently level of cover) for a fixed amount per year which never changes (beyond inflation) - i.e. if I'm spending £2500 per year for my family now, I want to know I'm paying £2500 per year 20 years from now (corrected for inflation of course). 

Insurance companies could give estimates based on historic information but i guess they don't want to as it will scare people. What i would do is get quotes now based on say current age 60, 70, 80 and increase by estimated inflation each year say 3%.

So, if currently 60 but want to know how much it will be when 80, take the 80 quote and apply inflation of say 3% to it for 20 years. Will probably be a scary number

I can get 400,000 bt cover with a Thai Insurance company for 94,000 bt pa. I am 72 next month and the premium would rise as I got older. I once followed the link on this site for an insurance quote when I was 70 and wait for it!!!! 24000 bt per month. !!! The former would be an exit consideration and the latter would be a 100% exit ..Nowhere in the world is this required. Easier if this happens to go back "Down Under" and just visit hear as a tourist on a 90 day visa....  For my retirement visa I have always  used a 400,000 bt fixed deposit combo plus my pension which arrives 13 times a year. I would draw that down by having my pension go back into an Australian bank prior to exiting. This country is getting less friendly all the time ..

• Like 1

I can get 400,000 bt cover with a Thai Insurance company for 94,000 bt pa. I am 72 next month and the premium would rise as I got older. I once followed the link on this site for an insurance quote when I was 70 and wait for it!!!! 24000 bt per month. !!! The former would be an exit consideration and the latter would be a 100% exit ..Nowhere in the world is this required. Easier if this happens to go back "Down Under" and just visit hear as a tourist on a 90 day visa....  For my retirement visa I have always  used a 400,000 bt fixed deposit combo plus my pension which arrives 13 times a year. I would draw that down by having my pension go back into an Australian bank prior to exiting. This country is getting less friendly all the time ..

I agree, moving to 1 or 2 tourist visas instead is the solution to ridiculously expensive insurance and spend your money elsewhere

• Like 2

On 12/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, darksidedog said:

This is for those on O-A visa. It does not  impact those on retirement extensions, although any with sense will have some form of insurance anyway. We have all seen people getting hurt and having to go fund me to pay their bills. The big question is how long before they start focusing on the tourists and insisting they have some insurance too. There are Thai policies which cover this requirement for a few thousand baht and they have to offer cover to people up to 100 years of age, so no worries on the too old bit.

Hi, so how do i find the thai policies for a couple of thousand baht, in 69 with pre exsisting  conditions ? Thank for your help. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 7:26 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, moving to 1 or 2 tourist visas instead is the solution to ridiculously expensive insurance and spend your money elsewhere

Agreed sir but perhaps  now we have set up our thai families this is the game, when you havnt any more to contribute other than pension which is equivalent to a lottery win in thai terms they dont need us anymore, but if all that monthly pension stops comeing in to Thai banjs, then what another rule change maybe

• 2 months later...

I am very sure this insurance issue, is really stressing people here!

Frankly there is no way anyone can stay here once over 70 plus, premiums through the roof, and most have pre existing conditions that are not covered anyway!

The obvious fair answer to benefit everyone, oh except the insurance companies is to just park 450,000 baht in a bonded account.

This will save people a fortune ,and provide cover for the Thai authorities.

I have to ask , is anyone actively promoting this idea, to the powers that be?

The other option is 20 year elite visa, I guess the worry there is if they make medical cover mandatory for that!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/23/2018 at 9:19 PM, BestB said:

Nothing happens, you still take out a policy, it just does not cover much ????

Though 400 000 baht policy, would not cover much anyways.

It would at a government hospital, it doesn't always have to be Bkk hospital.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d4291797 said:

I am very sure this insurance issue, is really stressing people here!

Frankly there is no way anyone can stay here once over 70 plus, premiums through the roof, and most have pre existing conditions that are not covered anyway!

The obvious fair answer to benefit everyone, oh except the insurance companies is to just park 450,000 baht in a bonded account.

This will save people a fortune ,and provide cover for the Thai authorities.

I have to ask , is anyone actively promoting this idea, to the powers that be?

The other option is 20 year elite visa, I guess the worry there is if they make medical cover mandatory for that!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

No need to stress, or worry.   Just a proposal,   for O-A only.  Probably never happen.  

Just park 450k in a bonded account ?  I doubt that anyone is actively promoting your idea to the powers that be.  

And if they did i don't think the powers that be would listen unfortunately,. TIT

930376233_ScreenShot2019-05-11at08_35_33.png.ea797f6c18f05fd7ed7c4bf4c3f7b633.png

When you get old enough best for many people is to move homeland and if still enough health and eligible for travelinsurance from homeland you can spend about half of the year in Thailand using way much cheaper travel insurance cover.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 2:53 PM, BestB said:

What are the offers from Thai insurance? Last time i checked to get equally as good cover as my International is same if not more.

I am in early 40's and paying around 50 000 per year, and it does not include ODP, if i was to add ODP my premium would almost double.

Now why on earth do i need to have ODP?, its 600-1000 per visit, why on earth would i want to have insurance which only covers 400 000 hospitalization? Thats 2-3 nights in a decent hospital with a minor surgery, any thing more serious and surgery alone is 400 000 already 

even my shit insurance would not be valid bcs NO OPD  but 5mio baht hospital , and that for mid 50s  for 1800 usd -without pre condition at thai insurance

..but i dont care more, already on the move. have already new local insurance in turkey, whats madatory  for 5yr residence , at better coverage for  1/3 of price like in thailand. i done it already even i am in thai, to get rid of the 12 month waiting period for pre existing conditions..so at moment i pay two.............. but the last time in thai

already bought new home in turkey..just here,waiting to sell more assets( good luck most is gone) and end february 2020 i am gone !! fact !!!!

the only thing i missing here is nightlife girls and the rest asociated with it,,,,,,,,,,, the rest even can kiss my..............

after 31 years thailand bye bye

Would expect LINE and Rabbit Finance (which already has entered this business) to become greenfield leaders.

No clue what the underlying infrastructure (backend billing/claims systems) looks like? Guessing it's "messy".

what is it with the *****outpatient***** coverage? 

that stuff is pocket change. 

and it is not an at all intelligent insurance choice as far as I know. 

inpatient coverage, yeah require it.  that makes sense.  it also even includes cataracts.

not because having to add that stupid outpatient option onto our policies now is a really big problem...... just that it is so dumb. in fact, anyone for whom outpatient coverage is a necessity should not even be allowed in as a tourist and the person must be quite ill or unhealthy as well.  for anyone else it's TOTAL chump change.  it just looks so dumb to require it.  or worse, it looks like a scam of some kind.  

Edited by WeekendRaider

On 12/23/2018 at 8:45 PM, anterian said:

I thought that was the basic point of the 800 kBaht, to show that one could cover medical expenses. 

800k is small....a friend of mine some yrs ago had to pay 520,000 for an op.... then 26k for each kemo session he had...

many insurance places DO NOT INSURE a person of a certain age....plus if one smokes or has diabetes 2 then they will not cover one also..

So, just how does one get health insurance.

A friend of mine is 72....he cant get insurance due to being diagnosed with prostrate cancer !!

He has NOW left this place for good...having been here for at least 12 years....