Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

On 12/24/2018 at 8:56 AM, darksidedog said:

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order, covering accident and medical. Costs around 4,000 baht a year. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

EDIT: This is a very basic policy. I am only 54, so it may be higher for those older. If you have serious health issues, you probably require something more upmarket.

Doesn’t reach the 40k OPD

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what will happen to people over a certain age who cant get it ,but have lived here years and have familly here?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most people who have lived here for years are doing annual extensions of stay. There has to date been no discussion of making this a requirement for extension of stay, only for issuance of the O-A visa.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most people who have lived here for years are doing annual extensions of stay. There has to date been no discussion of making this a requirement for extension of stay, only for issuance of the O-A visa.

Sheryl is 100% correct.
Lads..why not chill out and relax..imo..nothing will be announced by the powers that be in the next couple of months...there's an general election in the next few weeks remember.
Life is short..enjoy it!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Doesn't make sense to do it for the visa and not extension. Gives people hope for a bit longer though

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Doesn't make sense to do it for the visa and not extension. Gives people hope for a bit longer though

It might be easier too enforce as the OA Visa is can only be obtained in the home country or Bangkok I believe ?

On 1/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

They could create a Bank Account, 1 million baht in a fixed account no withdrawals except for Medical treatment.

it would pay interest but the government could also benefit from the investment as well and any benefits would be paid into th healthcare system.

No need to make it one million. Just make sure that 440,000 is in the account year round, instead of just three months for the 800,000 total.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:34 PM, CMNightRider said:

I think you are 100% right about creating enough hoops for the farang, and they will leave.  I believe once the farangs do leave, they won't return. Travel writers will have to write about other destinations for retired farangs, and how wonderful Thailand used to be.

I suspect the Chinese will fill the void as the farangs leave.  Personally, I don't think that will work out so good for Thailand but it seems as though this is what they prefer. ????

Yeah, I'm just about at the tipping point. I was thinking this morning that I have just about had enough. They are not doing me any favors letting me live here. I'm generating income for them.  They may/probably don't care. But after a while, the surliness, the smirking greediness, the rules dreamed up on a whim, and that sh**t eating grin just wears you down. The nice weather isn't worth it all. I've been lethargic about planning an exit. I'm just about ready to do so, however. This place was supposed to provide a relaxation from the pace of life and stress of the US. Now, it's getting much more like there--and worse in many instances.

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Yeah, I'm just about at the tipping point. I was thinking this morning that I have just about had enough. They are not doing me any favors letting me live here. I'm generating income for them.  They may/probably don't care. But after a while, the surliness, the smirking greediness, the rules dreamed up on a whim, and that sh**t eating grin just wears you down. The nice weather isn't worth it all. I've been lethargic about planning an exit. I'm just about ready to do so, however. This place was supposed to provide a relaxation from the pace of life and stress of the US. Now, it's getting much more like there--and worse in many instances.

I have talked to several friends of mine who feel the same way.  It is really too bad the people in charge of immigration have taken this nonsense of making it more difficult for retired farangs to live in Thailand to this level.  A lot of us have married and bought homes here which even makes moving more difficult, and effects Thai families as well.  Well, good luck to you zydeco, and thanks for the comment.????  

zydeco - They are not doing me any favors letting me live here. I'm generating income for them. 

Very curious. As I think about my entire life experience I can not recall when I was allowed to live for free or my care provider lost money while I lived with them.. Opps I forgot about my childhood. Now I get your logic. Hey maybe you can go live with your mother and father again?

zydeco said, "they are not doing me any favors letting me live here. I'm generating income for them."

Very curious. As I think about my entire life experience I can not recall when I was allowed to live for free or my care provider lost money while I lived with them.. Opps I forgot about my childhood. Now I get your logic. Hey maybe you can go live with your mother and father again?

Once it comes into effect, foreigners having 1-year non-immigrant visa will be required to have Thai Health insurance policies covering their entire stay in Thailand with minimum 40,000 THB for out-patient medical bill coverage and minimum 400,000 THB in-patient medical bill coverage. 

For many, it will be feeding insurance companies.

It would be better if there was a choice between an insurance policy and self-insurance in the form of a deposit in a Thai Bank for example. Min. 500,000 THB.

The bank book with deposit could be shown to Immigration every 3 months when we confirm our address.

At least the money is still ours and does not belong to the insurance company.

Insurance premium for elderly people is more or less unplayable. I’m 79 years of age, I checked premium last year and I would have to pay about 20.000 THB per month for similar small coverage.

Insurance premium for elderly people is more or less unplayable. I’m 79 years of age, I checked premium last year and I would have to pay about 20.000 THB per month for similar small coverage.

Some people who aren't willing to pay will just opt to not bother with a visa and extension, problem solved, especially at an older age

Once it comes into effect, foreigners having 1-year non-immigrant visa will be required to have Thai Health insurance policies covering their entire stay in Thailand with minimum 40,000 THB for out-patient medical bill coverage and minimum 400,000 THB in-patient medical bill coverage. 

It would be better if there was a choice between an insurance policy and self-insurance in the form of a deposit in a Thai Bank for example. Min. 500,000 THB.

The bank book with deposit could be shown to Immigration every 3 months when we confirm our address.

Well Misab, your post makes a lot of sense!

Frankly many of us came to retire here, maybe in denial ,that we would at some time need medical care!

The concern I feel is, getting insurance ,regarding the following.

A at a sane cost,
B how to deal with cover for pre existing conditions!

So painful as it may seem , for those able to lodge 440,000.
Then this would be a sensible option, if allowed.

Being an ill wind, this should encourage people , to be aware of healthy eating, to avoid arthritis, cardiac and cancer issues.

Elections now delayed until later this year, so maybe this issue will be back in focus.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A possible moving of the goalposts will deter future retirees from coming here but for those still here what is to be done? Well nothing has happened as yet and remember the banning of pick up trucks with bench seats in and the buses that were to be taken off the road within 6 months and maybe it will be just waffle  and not appear again, however, should it move forward there is going to be a problem. We all know that the older we get the harder it becomes to get or afford insurance and what the proposal has not said is "affordable" ( whatever that may be deemed to be) and a guarantee that insurance would be provided until death, I think we can discount those 2 issues they will not be attractive to the insurance lobby.

I can see the logic is demonstrating you have funds in the bank for healthcare, a realistic balance but, I can also see a lot of people over 60 looking around and begining to think that they are as welcome as what they were and investigating new options which would mean leaving here and if you do not have a property right now it begins to look attractive so where looks likely to fill the bill?

It would be wise to plan for a worst case scenario but hope you need it.

I have plenty of money to pay my own bills, I have money because I don't pay insurance.

I was declined by an insurer once ....30 years ago, that was it. never ever again. . . now laughing at what I have saved.

I'm sure a little bribe should be enough.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, Peasandmash said:

zydeco - They are not doing me any favors letting me live here. I'm generating income for them. 

So you equate not having insurance with living for free?

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, fouryesrs said:

they need to give us thai government social security  cover to same price as locals cause after all we are like locals

If it is a compulsory Thai Insurance policy, it will probably be drafted to only cover treatment in Thai government hospitals, and not private ones. They've got to make a profit somehow.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, Misab said:

Looking at the latest rules on retirement extensions at 800,000 for 6 months and 400,000 for 6 months that seems to be covered.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Looking at the latest rules on retirement extensions at 800,000 for 6 months and 400,000 for 6 months that seems to be covered.

Not really, if you spend any of that money, even for medical, you will break the 800,000/400,000 rules.

Archived