If the Falklands was invaded today, Could the UK without help take it back again

phetpeter

7 hours ago, phetpeter said:

But glad someone is interested. 

It would depend, as it did last time, how both sides played their hand.

Last time Argentina made a serious mistake, early on in the conflict which, effectively, lost it for them.

The hands are very different, on both sides, this time.

Don't mean to be rude, but, as I am not really interested in playing out the possible scenarios (including initial invasion by Argentina) via the medium of online print, you will have to make do with 50/50!

Happy New Year.

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Falklands are 200+ miles off the coast of Argentina. Do you think that all islands are the "property" of the nearest mainland country, or should the people whose ancestors have lived there for over 250 years decide?

A history of the Islands, written by the folks who live there ...

https://www.falklands.gov.fk/our-people/our-history/

You shouldn't have mentioned that because the Chinese is going to say those islands off the coast of China (Paracel Islands now in dispute) belongs to China base on what you said. The Chinese visited those Islands 600 years ago using a world map, yes, the Chinese drew the first world map which was passed on to India then to Middle East arriving in Europe much later and the European drew their world map based on the Chinese map. Read Gavin Menzies "1421 The year China discovered America" Menzies is a retired British Submarine Commander. His research based on facts not on hearsay.

5 minutes ago, madusa said:

You shouldn't have mentioned that because the Chinese is going to say those islands off the coast of China (Paracel Islands now in dispute) belongs to China base on what you said. The Chinese visited those Islands 600 years ago using a world map, yes, the Chinese drew the first world map which was passed on to India then to Middle East arriving in Europe much later and the European drew their world map based on the Chinese map. Read Gavin Menzies "1421 The year China discovered America" Menzies is a retired British Submarine Commander. His research based on facts not on hearsay.

Why do you insist in going off topic?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, madusa said:

The first World Map based on the belief that the Earth was spherical and not flat is attributed to the Greek Ptolemy ( 2nd CE ) and remained authoritative into the Middle Ages .. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, transam said:

Yet one of the top financial countries in the world via a small population...Why is that...?

Could be because they made it so easy for the world's rich to hide $$$ trillions in assets, to dodge taxes, and to get away with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_ylvc8Zj8

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thanks for that. I didn't know this programme existed. I've just enjoyed a very nostalgic viewing.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the description of the bombing calculation system, 'All pulleys, gongs and bicycle chains'. What he was describing was the 'Navigation and Bombing System' or NBS. It was quite a correct description. Think Meccano set on a grand scale.

A truly amazing feat.

Operation Black Buck was the name given to the bombing raid by the Vulcan and is a quite superb read particularly the refuelling program required to get them all the way down there and back .. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I was a nipper of 14,  glued to the tv hungry for news.... that raid by the Avro Vulcans on Port Stanley was truly amazing, rattled the argies, I think they moved their aircraft back to the mainland after that seriously reducing their range of operation beyond the islands. Some stupid government minister gave the game away by publicly announcing the plan to launch an airstrike on port Stanley. And those Harriers..... ”counted them out, and counted them all in”   Yes, I'm British ???????? and proud.

Me too.

• Like 2

I spoke to a pommy guy in a gay bar in Pattaya about 10 years ago, he had served in Northern ireland and had heard stories from the Falklands

Dont qoute me on it ,but he told me there were British and Argentine soldiers caught in houses getting it on with each other,he said his mates raided a house and they actually caught them in the act.

can anyone verify this?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

I spoke to a pommy guy in a gay bar in Pattaya about 10 years ago, he had served in Northern ireland and had heard stories from the Falklands

Dont qoute me on it ,but he told me there were British and Argentine soldiers caught in houses getting it on with each other,he said his mates raided a house and they actually caught them in the act.

can anyone verify this?

Malicious intent.

• Like 2