Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

webfact

12 hours ago, baboon said:

No. And there are plenty of Polish and others in my (UK) neighborhood.

However I don't doubt for a second that the problems you mention above are not endemic in many parts of the country. However you are going after the wrong people. It isn't the Polacks but a government who has imposed harsher and harsher public spending cuts, year after year. Why don't you look at them, rather than the unfortunates they point the finger at in order to divert attention away from who the real culprits are?

Thats the answer I expected hence my comment dont blame the Government for lack of investment. Lets be real here, if these EU immigrants are supposedly doing the low paid jobs that UK citizens wont do then they are invariably a drain on the system due to paying very little tax and recieving more in benefits which is then mostly sent back to the EU. I dont blame anyone for wanting a better life, its natural...hey Im in Thailand seeking a better life but something needs to be done. You are one of the lucky ones if it hasnt impacted seriously on your life...however I take it as this is a Thai forum you are living here also but its a totally different story for my relatives.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Exactly that.

Unfortunately Remainers cannot accept the principle of a democratic vote and even when analogies are presented to them in an attempt to explain their folly they’ll still close their minds and drivel about ‘comparing apples and oranges’ and such.

Much earlier in this thread (post #143) I asked if Remainers would be perfectly OK with the Thai Junta calling for another vote if Future Forward and an anti-Govt coalition win by a 4% margin in the upcoming election, on the grounds that they thought that the majority of voters had made a mistake and Thai people should be given a second chance.

The replies to my post were ‘apples and oranges’ again.

No they are not. The comparison is valid. The principle is exactly the same.

Just because you say an orange is an apple, or you are unable to spot the difference, that doesn’t make an orange an apple. So keep comparing a manipulated, ambiguous, non-binding referendum with a football match; just down expect anyone to buy into your oranges-with-apples comparisons. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, baboon said:

What IS the difference between us, Bill? You are veering all over the place.

Are we going to start comparing Papa Doc with Pol Pot or what? Are you saying that in your opinion JRM is quite possibly a very nice man? Do you honestly believe he has the back of your UK based relatives? 

I didn't bring up Papa Doc. I thought it was you.

Do I think JRM is a nice man? Yes I do.

Has he got the back of my UK relatives?

My answer is simple.  Has ANY politician or political party in the UK got the back of my UK relatives?

No they haven't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugon said:

Why the hell didn't they vote in the first one?

It is not democratic to have a vote, then have another one if some are not happy with the result. Total nonsense.

It was an opinion poll. Thanks for your opinion. Parliament thanks you!

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Well, I've spent a nice time reading all these posts and still can't find anyone showing me exactly why it's so bad to leave
Perhaps we have a very clever remainder who can tell us
Anyone care to give the true facts,
How much it will cost, and exactly why
How much we will save from not paying into eu, and why
How long it will take to sort out, and why
And mostly, what laws, increased payments, etc will the eu be imposing in the next 10 years if we stay in
All I hear is people arguing who's got the biggest dick and who's the poorest loser, so come on , as a leaver I don't know, but am willing to risk it on the facts I know now
But I'm fascinated to know the full facts from some of our remainers
Don't bother with with what you think, or hope, or should be, enlighten all us leavers and maybe, just maybe we could change our minds, after knowing all the true facts that you will give us

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Nice of you to admit that you don't know all the salient facts! Why do you vote if you don't know the facts? Irresponsible in my book. 

11 hours ago, Grouse said:

Thanks for that

What a decent man!

Certainly got me thinking. Maybe he's right and we can never hope to be taken as a solid member of the EU again. Maybe N or N+ is sensible ???? And the best we can hope for.

Of course UK's image is severely downgraded, not only vis a vis EU but also world wide.

The whole world has been watching the Brexit process very closely, and many are the countries

in which heads are shaken.

I think the worst is that UK has demonstrated that it is not trustworthy.

Say no more, but large scale trade agreements is built on trust.

Who is at fault? In my view, the UK parliament must take the blame for this.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

then please feel free to enlighten us on the facts, not the scaremonger or bullshit, tell us what is going to happen during the next 10 years, A, if we leave and B if we stay, and please include all costs, laws, immigration, jobs etc that you obviously have full knowledge of to be able to vote remain

i, and many others will wait patiently while you compile these facts for us so can know the truth 

You don’t have to know “what is going to happen during the next 10 years (...) all costs, laws, immigration, jobs etc” to understand that in 45 years a bit more things have changed and developed than just a membership status.  

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You don’t have to know “what is going to happen during the next 10 years (...) all costs, laws, immigration, jobs etc” to understand that in 45 years a bit more things have changed and developed than just a membership status.  

No sh1t Sherlock!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Grouse said:

BTW, I think N+ is fine as a general solution but I can't see us being accepted by EFTA for reasons explained by our Scandinavian contributors. So in fact it means leaving but staying in the SM and CU. This of course also solves the Irish question. We should use existing rules and maybe extend these to throttle immigration to acceptable levels.

My personal view is that UK officials would absolutely hate a N solution as soon as they fully

understand what they have done, will probably take quite some time.

Re contributions, handled very differently from how EU members are billed and is to a larger degree negotiable.

The EEA treaty is probably the most complex treaty ever penned, I'd suggest that less than 10 people 

in the world have full and deep insight in that acquis, and none of those are in the UK.

Yes, Barnier has voiced some commercials re EFTA/EEA several times.

However, I think that the Commission employees dealing with EFTA and EEA would immensely dislike UK being part of it.

Now, as to gaining access;

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

think many politicians in Norway would prefer to oppose but I guess could be pressed to yes,

Norway and UK has very long and close relationships

Liechtenstein normally leaves foreign affairs matters like this to be handled by Switzerland.

I see no good reason for Switzerland(Liechtenstein) to accept UK in EFTA, I see several reasons why they should not.

Iceland? If they are really serious about becoming a EU member Juncker and Tusk could probably press them to say yes,

otherwise I think they would prefer no.

(UK doesn't fit culturally into the EFTA/EEA scheme)

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Leavers need to stop the moronic chanting and understand that some things are rather more complex than a bloody football match!

football for plebs and simpletons, we Drs watch rugby and cricket

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Now, as to gaining access;

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland

think many politicians in Norway would prefer to oppose but I guess could be pressed to yes,

Norway and UK has very long and close relationships

Liechtenstein normally leaves foreign affairs matters like this to be handled by Switzerland.

I see no good reason for Switzerland(Liechtenstein) to accept UK in EFTA, I see several reasons why they should not.

Iceland? If they are really serious about becoming a EU member Juncker and Tusk could probably press them to say yes,

otherwise I think they would prefer no.

(UK doesn't fit culturally into the EFTA/EEA scheme)

Sounds like UK's problem joining EFTA is similar to Russian or Turkish problems joining EU. They all are far too large to join in without disturbing power balance of these clubs.

UK would be a temporary monster within EFTA which would come and then go after few years of ruling the club. It's understandable that the existing EFTA countries don't want a temporary storm on their playground.