CONFIRMED: Here is exactly what’s needed for retirement & marriage extensions (income method) from 2019

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

I was asking whether the US Embassy or US military here might have a BANK on embassy grounds that could do the signature guarantee.  The embassy and various military bases in Japan all have a US bank to serve the civilians and military members there.  I was NOT asking whether the embassy itself was able to issue Medallion Signature Guarantees.

All the notices I have seen for bank medallion service in the USA require that you have an account for at least 6 months at the bank before they will offer the service not ala carte.

However, having PR in Japan, is there some reason why you cannot go to the Thai Embassy in Tokyo and get an O-A visa?

http://site.thaiembassy.jp/en/visa/type/394/

BTW Your "They could have just" "It would have been simpler" "I suppose it's possible" lines would make for a good stand-up comedy routine. Very entertaining. Kinda like Seinfeld.

Edited by JLCrab

4 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Actually, it would have been simpler if immigration had just continued accepting the proof of income that they had been accepting all along.

Not for everyone, actually. Some find this much better. Saves a trip to the embassy, transfers are cheap via ACH, and withdrawals will be much cheaper from a Thai account. 

But you see they didn't continue accepting the old proof of income. Why didn't they simplify it to just accept your word only, phoned in? Why fool around with any documents or appearances. Yeah!

In my case that was regular retirement income shown on my USAA checking statement.

Oh, your USAA checking statement was accepted in lieu of the embassy letter? This is news. Should have let us all know about that before.

If all of the cash-advance money were deposited into my Bangkok Bank within five minutes of the cash being produced, how would that not qualify as a transfer of funds from a foreign source?

For you, it qualifies. Which is cool.????  For TI, no, because it won't be shown in your bankbook as a transfer from a foreign source. Now you could deposit B800,000 of cash-advance money five minutes after the cash is produced if it's then kept in the account for the 3 months before you apply for your extension. Then the foreign bit all goes away. Are we done yet? 

Edited by BigStar

An international ACH was not available from USAA so I sent a SWIFT international transfer of $2,200 to Bangkok Bank.  Cost me $45.00.  I will get a Medallion Guranteed Signature so I can do Fidelity wires as soon as I get back to Washington in July.  In the meantime, I am out 6 x 45 = $230. 

My checking account statement was examined for proof of income after they took the embassy affidavit.  The embassy affidavit was never proof of anything.  In recent years, they didn't ask to see the proof of income, they just accepted the embassy sworn statement.  Others have reported that their proof of income backing up their embassy statement was also examined each year.  If they understood the proof in previous years then they very well could have opted to continue understanding it since the embassy statement really didn't prove anything as they came to realize. 

• Like 2

I just completed a one time $2,100 SWIFT international wire transfer from my US based Fidelity account to my Thailand Bangkok Bank account over the phone (No forms or medallion signature required). Here is what I did:

1. Called the Fidelity 800 number

2. Rep confirmed my identity via voice matching and routine questions. On my request connected me to another rep from the international wire desk.

3. The wire desk rep reconfirmed my identity and gave me an "Approval Code". He then sent me a message via the secure message tab within my Fidelity online account with instructions.

4. I followed those instructions by creating a word document containing the wire instructions (included the "Approval Code", SWIFT code, receiving and sending bank details ... etc.). Pretty straight forward.

5. I printed the letter, signed it, dated it and scanned it into a PDF file using my all-in-one printer.

6. I attached the signed pdf wire instructions in my reply to the secure message sent to me by the wire desk.

Thats it! An hour later I received an email stating successful completion of my outgoing wire transfer. I also received a corresponding debit transaction in my Fidelity account for $2,100.

The entire process took approx. 30 minutes. No fees charged by Fidelity. I should see $2100 x 31.78 (Assuming today's Bangkok Bank closing TT rate) = 66738 - 200 (bangkok Bank fee) = 66538 baht credit to my Bangkok Bank account in about two business days.

I will be doing this once every month for the income method.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

Others have reported that their proof of income backing up their embassy statement was also examined each year.  If they understood the proof in previous years then they very well could have opted to continue understanding it

But they didn't. They opted to see money deposited each month into a Thai bank.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:
16 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

But they didn't. They opted to see money deposited each month into a Thai bank

It ain't over-till it's over!!

You are expecting maybe a mulligan do-over?

57 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

still pursuing a few leads...

Maybe a few leads are pursuing you.

I was happy that there actually was a monthly income option and not being told the only way for retirement extension of stay for those from countries whose embassies won't play ball with the IMM folks in Thailand was 800K baht in the bank but I guess for some that wasn't enough.

Whether it's IMM or the US Embassy it's why didn't they do this and why didn't they do that and they coulda done this or it would have been much easier/simpler/expedient/less confusing/less costly ad nauseam.

Edited by JLCrab

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

They had a variety of ways before.  This new method is crap and the Thais should not be congratulated for this

The way before has been removed by the 4 Embassies unless you are going back further. This new method is to accommodate people for that. There seems to be plenty of ways for people to legitimately retire in Thailand and get the necessary extension, having the financial means and not working is all that is required!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimn said:

I entirely agree with you. There are so many differing views and confused people with this issue. Unfortunately there are going to be many peple especially the older retirees caught out by this. For me personally I intend to use my BE income letter when my extension is due in May 2019. For 2020 I need to start planning because if I am going to transfer 65k monthly I need to start in April/May this year. 

I am however reluctant to do this. Why?

(1) I am only in Thailand 7 months per year, if I transfer my company pension monthly to Thailand what money do I use when in the UK. (2) Even when I am in Thailand I have financial commitments in the UK (Council Tax, Power/Water Bills, insurance etc), as I still maintain a property there. These take up about 15-20% of my pension. (3) Ridiculous pound to baht exchange rate at the moment, caused by Brexit worries. (4) Once one starts transferring UK state pension to Thailand you lose any future increases.

Its why for the very first time and I hate to say it, but using an agent in Pattaya for 12,900 baht all in may be my best option.

Well written, especially the part about not being in Thailand all the time.  Making somebody make constant deposits has also of negative points many of which you mentioned.  Not to mention the first level that one needs to establish a Thai banking relationship and deal with their address issues and account verification issues which are a pain in this modern age where many people are mobile and don't necessarily have a regular place

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Well written, especially the part about not being in Thailand all the time. 

If that's the case an O-A for you should be easy -- biggest issue for me with O-A is that the turnaround time required for the visa and to assemble all the required documents is more time that I care to spend on a visit to the Estados Unidos.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Wasn't Thailand added in November 2018, ie., using SWIFT code?

https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm

It was approved then but no action yet on how to do it and info on which banks will do it. They still have to create a special SSA-1199 for Thailand as well and it will be processed by the Manila SSA office.

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

Sorry but not been following this thread, but are Thai Immigration still honouring the letter of income from the embassies, my case British.

The British Embassy is no longer issuing them. Old letters will be accepted up to six months from issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, comfortablynumb54 said:

why does it still state you can get an income certificate from your embassy? shows this in last paragraph

According to Wikipedia there are 79 embassies in Bangkok.

Only 4 are not issuing income letters anymore.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Whether it's IMM or the US Embassy it's why didn't they do this and why didn't they do that and they coulda done this or it would have been much easier/simpler/expedient/less confusing/less costly ad nauseam.

I'm glad this works for you-  however- there are many who have issues with this situation- if you are tired of  the debate-please feel free to ignore posts that you do not agree with.

IMO- while I am glad the Thai Immigration found ways to continue the income method, they could have added one more way by simply- stating "  Or evidence showing an income stream of 65K per month generated from Abroad."  Simple to prove a few sheets of paper-award letters with amounts.

The second issue that has never been completely explained with full disclosure or transparency is why only 4 Embassies have stopped the income letter and  70+ still do it.  Because of a lack of transparency- citizens of these countries believe rightly or wrongly that their Embassies took the easy way out instead of making  an effort to negotiate a positive outcome.

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I'm glad this works for you-  however- there are many who have issues with this situation-

I'm glad that you and others have issues -- it's very entertaining reading.

As to why the other country embassies, I guess in some way shape or form they are able to guarantee the stated incomes of their citizens. US at least won't or can not take your pick.

Edited by JLCrab

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I,m OK Jack I believe you mean! 

Maybe so but because some on here have issues' with the new regs, do you expect them to change anything? Maybe instead of the "Don't they realize ...?" comments that often appear on this forum, IMM knows exactly what they are doing and fully realize what are the repercussions among the affected populace.

Edited by JLCrab

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Wasn't Thailand added in November 2018, ie., using SWIFT code?

https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm

Yeap...SSA approved adding Thailand to their International Direct Deposit Program (IDD) in Nov 18 and have even written a SSA instruction for Thailand IDD.  This 5 Nov 18 instruction provides overall policy guidance and direct deposit coding requirements.   See below weblink. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402419

But real world implementation is still not complete like which Thai bank(s) will be part of the IDD....I expect that takes buy-in from Thai banks willing to participate. 

And please note in the instruction it says a "US Dollar account" will be required or what Thai banks call a "Foreign Currency Deposit" account; different than the current Thai baht savings direct deposit account.    Also you will need to have a foreign address on-file with SSA to use the IDD. 

We just need to standby...await SSA approval for IDD signup which is suppose to happen during Jan-Mar 19 time frame based on what the US Embassy - Bangkok said.   

32 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe so but because some on here have issues' with the new regs, do you expect them to change anything? Maybe instead of the "Don't they realize ...?" comments that often appear on this forum, IMM knows exactly what they are doing and fully realize what are the repercussions among the affected populace.

Certainly won’t change TI, options to cope will be varied,questions regarding clarity and procedure are informative to many here.Also helps to vent the frustration occasionally too.Can I ask do you find the Swift fees do able, for me they will be around 15k ?

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Can I ask do you find the Swift fees do able, for me they will be around 15k ?

US$25 each month -- Discussion on how to cope with the new regs is one thing. Saying that the new regs should've been something else is another.

Edited by JLCrab

13 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you. May be next time, before they make any changes to the regulations, they will check in with you first because you seem to know how things should be done better than the people who actually do them.

Glad you finally realized that... I'll keep you  posted..