Thai govt unveils 20-year plan for rubber sector

webfact

Govt unveils 20-year plan for rubber sector

Drying_rubber_in_Thailand.jpg

FILE photo//Wikipedia

BANGKOK, 15th January 2019 (NNT) - The Rubber Authority of Thailand has launched a 20-year rubber strategy with a focus on research on rubber processing and promotion of domestic consumption. 

Acting Governor of the Rubber Authority of Thailand, Yiam Thawarorit said the 20-year rubber strategy for the years 2017 - 2036 is in alignment with the government's 20-year national strategy. The main objectives are to decrease the size of rubber plantations, increase the range of rubber products and domestic rubber consumption and stimulate rubber exports. 

During the first five years of the strategy, the focus is on finding solutions to encroachment on national parks and establishing higher rubber consumption in the public sector. 

The 6th to 10th year of the strategy will focus on development of rubber quality, research and establishment of a fund to support rubber-related activities. 

For the 11th to the 20th years, the strategy will seek to develop technologies for rubber plantations, conduct research on new rubber products and establish a rubber one-stop service. 

The 20-year rubber strategy will be driven by a subcommittee under the Natural Rubber Policy Committee. The strategy will first be submitted to the Cabinet for consideration.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2019-01-15

Well, somebody is making a killing on rubber these days. The price dropped from 80 to 17 Baht; in 20 years all those rubber tree farmers will be (at least financially) dead. 
The world market price in November 2018 stood at USD 1.35/kg; a slight gap to the Thai price of 17 Baht ........ 

The less the government gets its greedy fingers it, the better. Concentrate on the job description of a government = serve the people. Latter could include stringent  adherence to law, rules, regulations and systems - to start with. Nose poking over rubber issues covering the next 20 years is further down the agenda! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the 20-year rubber strategy for the years 2017 - 2036 is in alignment with the government's 20-year national strategy.

The latter which cannot be changed without a constitutional amendment that the pro-junta Senate can prevent.

Another hobble on future elected governments that, regardless of what their political agenda may be, must continue to abide by Prayut's junta agenda for the next 20 years. Thus in effect, maintaining the authority of the military without regard to a majority electorate mandate.

So much for the Constitution that says sovereignty of the nation belongs to the Thai people.

I expect if and when the next election draws near, we will see more last minute 20-year strategies perhaps covering more strategies in the agricultural, financial and manufacturing sectors (ie., EEC).

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

In alignment with the Governments 20 year road map which already has had many detours only wish I will still be alive to see the final results of the road map

Don't worry what you see today is what will be in 20 years. 

• Haha 2

Okay...there is so much wrong here...where to begin?

Maybe with this gem, here: "The 6th to 10th year of the strategy will focus on development of rubber quality, research and establishment of a fund to support rubber-related activities."

A fund to support rubber- related activities!!!

Who comes up with that???

:cheesy:

Sorry, Thailand can’t do Chinese 20 year plans.  They can’t even enforce or control anything with the military in charge ????

They will continue to loose any power they have, as they fall further and further behind.  Projecting the future of rubber 20 years into the from now is interesting  

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The latter which cannot be changed without a constitutional amendment that the pro-junta Senate can prevent.

Another hobble on future elected governments that, regardless of what their political agenda may be, must continue to abide by Prayut's junta agenda for the next 20 years. Thus in effect, maintaining the authority of the military without regard to a majority electorate mandate.

So much for the Constitution that says sovereignty of the nation belongs to the Thai people.

I expect if and when the next election draws near, we will see more last minute 20-year strategies perhaps covering more strategies in the agricultural, financial and manufacturing sectors (ie., EEC).

This is a serious threat to Thailands future and you guys are joking.  I was in hau hin when that flim flam  constitution  deception/vote occurred.  Thai people were so stupid not to see the truth then.  

I stopped it at a roadside rubber cup rubber take in point.  I wanted to learn all about it.  I still want to cut some trees someday.  At the drop off point I had Thai people ask me to buy their  rubber plantations.  They were sick of the hard work and low price. 

Not sure everyone know the trees must be cut at night so worked do this 8-3 am and collect then have to collect the cups.   Lots of ghosts at night and mosquitoes.  

Not ANOTHER '20-year-plan'! All words, words, words (whatever they say) without substance.

Why not make it a 50-year-plan? Or a 1,000-year plan? Or a 1,000,000-year plan? 

It would all be just as meaningless and reality-detached as anything and everything that comes out of Thai officialdom's mouths.

Thailand: the hub of (pathetically empty) words, words, words.

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Okay...there is so much wrong here...where to begin?

Maybe with this gem, here: "The 6th to 10th year of the strategy will focus on development of rubber quality, research and establishment of a fund to support rubber-related activities."

A fund to support rubber- related activities!!!

Who comes up with that???

:cheesy:

What saddens me is that all of this is more band aids and more band aids, year after year, even decade after decade. 

When, when, when, will we see some enlightened policies which totally cast aside old items and take farmers etc., into the modern world / new approaches etc?

Seems to me that making a good living /having a good quality of life from farming is finished. Even perhaps to the point where food production will have to be highly subsidized because it's actually not fair for farmers to work hard to feed their own country but themselves live in poverty?

I think the answer is food production subsidized by the state.

But Thai political parties stay in policies and scenarios which have failed for decades and continue to add more band aids which everybody can see will achieve nothing.

• Thanks 1