Health insurance questions

Chicksaw

I am looking to switch to a new provider for health insurance. Questions:

1. I've heard of AA. What other options are there for brokers, based in Thailand and expat-friendly, who work with international outfits like April, David Shield, etc? Particularly one with office/rep in Bkk.

2. I've been recommended David Shield by someone not in Thailand. Anyone have experience with them here?

Thanks.

AA is the best one by far IMO and I tried several before them. While they do nto have an office in Bangkok they are easy to work with by email.

David Shield has attractive prices (relatively speaking i.e. compared to other insurers) and a so far good reputation though they expanded onto the international market only comparatively recently.  Worth considering if you are young enough. They do not  newly enroll over 64.

I tried to get my pre-existing condition covered when taking attempting to take out private health cover for the first two years I was here, I was knocked back twice by two insurers who wanted something like 100,000 baht per annum without the pre-existing cover, I naturally declined both of them and continued to self insure.

My broker who I insure my house and car with, when asked, recommended David Shield as they can accept my pre-existing conditions over 5 years old, mine was a (stent) in a main artery a decade ago, they accepted it for an extra premium per month if I wanted it, I believe it was an extra 1,400 baht per month on top of the normal policy which was about 50,000 baht per annum, although all payable in US currency.

The policy is for emergency cover, i.e. inpatient only, which also covers normal surgery for up to a mil US$ and you are covered in 4 neighbouring countries and 90 days emergency cover when travelling overseas.

If you would like the brokers details PM me and I will pass them on.

I have not had a claim with them, but feel they all have to be pretty much the same. David Shield provide you with a David Shield Visa card and put the money in it when you are approved at the hospital for surgery and the hospital provides them with the quote, fortunately for me, I haven't had to try it out and don't intend to, but having my pre-existing covered makes it all the more worthwhile for me and I don't feel I am forking out thousands of $'s for the benefit of the other insurers who won't cover my pre-existing condition, after all, one hat doesn't fit all heads, so to speak.

22 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

2. I've been recommended David Shield by someone not in Thailand. Anyone have experience with them here?

After a very long and fairly exhaustive search through various providers I signed up with them in November via AA Insurance Brokers although the premium is paid direct to David Shield. They appeared to offer the optimal solution for in patient cover - IE cost/benefit compared to the rest. 

AA apparently have a lot of people covered with them so that may help if it was ever necessary. I have not come across any negative feedback yet. 

I considered a Pacific Cross Plan but too many question marks for me.  

Archived