Will British Pound rise against Thai baht?

Yes, if the BoE raises rates when it next meets 2/7 provided the ECB sits pat tomorrow.  But it all depends on what the Fed says or does on 1/30.

Meanwhile, manufacturing is thriving (UK is expected to become the 5th largest industrial nation in 2 years, from the current 8th), construction output is at an all-time high and the services sector (80% of UK GDP) has stalled.

16 hours ago, natway09 said:

The Pound will struggle for 5 years after the UK babies in Parliament have stopped trying to look after their own interests rather than the interests of the country.

A country in turmoil & the money market is reacting as you would

In a nut shell

• Like 1

18 hours ago, soalbundy said:

The Baht is on a roll, not just against the pound, it's having a ball and this will probably continue for some time unfortunately. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind. 

It is not the baht that is on a roll, it is the Western currencies that are on a roll, downwards. Continued money printing, fiscal deficits, trading deficits, unlimited immigration etc will guarantee their gradual decline against the baht. Brexit just adds to the Pounds woe for the moment but should stablise when we know what will happen.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Why do people ask such innane questionsIf?  If people knew they would be speculating on the money markets looking to make a fortune. Duh!

The Op could apply the tried and tested calculation of

How long a piece of string is,  to determine the exchange rate fluctuations over the next few years. 1 baht = 1 inch

Place the tape measure at the base of the string,  and measure the full length of the ridged string to the tip.

My piece of string is 9 1/2 inches.  So the exchange rate fluctuation over the next few years will be around 9.5 baht.

and I don't have any crystal balls. :giggle:

Now to determine, if it's a positive or negative fluctuation.

Hold the string Perpendicular to the horizon for a moment.  then let it go,  a left movement would indicate a negative fluctuation for that day.

This test can be repeated many times in the

course of a  day. :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

Lots of uncertainty about the UK at the moment,which investors hate.Its not just Brexit which might drag on for months or even years more,its also the threat of a loony left Corbyn Govt. and their plan to radically shift wealth from the private to the public sector via higher taxes and confiscation of assets.Then theres still the prospect of Scotland leaving the Union.

So , I would be surprised to see the £ get back to previous levels against the $ and even less so against the Baht.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Lots of uncertainty about the UK at the moment,which investors hate.Its not just Brexit which might drag on for months or even years more,its also the threat of a loony left Corbyn Govt. and their plan to radically shift wealth from the private to the public sector via higher taxes and confiscation of assets.Then theres still the prospect of Scotland leaving the Union.

So , I would be surprised to see the £ get back to previous levels against the $ and even less so against the Baht.

With that uncertainty comes opportunity.

Some are exhibiting the balls to invest now while bargains exists at current artificially depressed exchange rates.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:33 PM, Chivas said:

Fluctuations in either pairing effects the exchange rate so whilst the Baht rising against the Dollar has absolutely nothing to do with Brits it unfortunately still effects the exchange rate

That's right, if the Dollar depreciates against baht. Pound also must depreciate against baht. Other wise you could generate dollars. IE. Pound = $1.30  , Pound = 41 baht. So buy 41 baht and in extreme example if dollar went to 25 baht then 41/25 = $1.65. So then pound would have to drop to 32.5 baht. 32.5/25 = $1.30/pound. And also generate pounds, with $1.65/$1.30 gets 1.27 pounds starting with 1 pound

Edited by morrobay

On 1/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, Chivas said:

Dear oh dear don't give up your day job....

After reading Morobay's post #42 in answering yours............I have a headache.  I think I'll let sleeping dog's lie for now and wait & watch = I learned a thing or two........

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

After reading Morobay's post #42 in answering yours............I have a headache.  I think I'll let sleeping dog's lie for now and wait & watch = I learned a thing or two........

Lol I'm still trying to work out what he's trying to say in addition

It's just a daisy chain that can generate pounds if dollar depreciates against baht and pound does not: pound = 41B, so if dollar depreciates to 25B then 41/25 gets you $1.65 and with pound currently at $1.30 then the $1.65 generated above gets you 1.65/1.30 = 1.27 pounds starting with 1 pound. 

• 4 weeks later...

I do believe BJ, and that's not the chief Imm cop here in LOS,  said last week in a Sky News interview that 'Sterling will go where it wants to'.

The same Boris who also said 'fck business'.

Personally I would settle for pre referendum rate again. Slim chance I guess, and Slim just left town.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Janner1 said:

So many ExPERTS with heads full of magic but no idea.

Entirely without prejudice 

The £ has been and is continually being devalued by the bank of England as punishment for voting Brexit.

one particular element within the bank knows full well that when it opens it’s mouth a round of uncertainty will result and the London money market in collusion with this manipulation will cause the £ to fall again.

The most sensible post for many a day - well done Sir, you have explained the situation perfectly  ????

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:09 AM, phutoie2 said:

I do believe BJ, and that's not the chief Imm cop here in LOS,  said last week in a Sky News interview that 'Sterling will go where it wants to'.

The same Boris who also said 'fck business'.

Personally I would settle for pre referendum rate again. Slim chance I guess, and Slim just left town.

cheer up man,you need to contact member malagateddy on here,back to 50 within 3 months but only if a no deal happens,???? duh

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

i could accept the baht's strength but a few years ago they were firing rocket propelled grenades 

at the airport and it never fazed the Baht. so been going on a good while.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, Henryford said:

Surely that's a advantage. We won't have to subsidise the Scots.

If the union breaks up because the Scots remain in the EU, England won't have to worry about subsidising anyone.  That could be a good thing, or.................................    

On 1/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, HHTel said:

If it wasn't for Brexit, the pound would be surging just now.  Unemployment the lowest since 1975 and employment at it's highest ever!  That explains the slight rise of the last couple of days.

where have you been for the last month?  Employment is sure to hit 2.5 million in the next 3 months as businesses all over the UK go to the wall and furloughing stops. The FT is predicting a bottom out at 2.8 to 3 million unemployed by the new Year. The UK economy and the Pound have been trashed and will take years to recover to pre Covid levels,  if they ever do. Enjoy what you get now for your trashed Pound, that's the best its going to get in my lifetime. 

OK what would drive a rise in the value of the pound?

A strong economy?

With the disastrous way Johnson has handled the corona virus and a hard Brexit a certainty the economy will be floored for a decade.

Scottish independence on top of that?

Nah. The pound is a gutter currency. Be lucky not to be trading on parity with the Zimbabwean dollar.  

• 4 weeks later...

No one, I mean NO ONE knows the answer to that question.  All predictions are codswallop.

You could ask it of the heads of the Bank of England and the Bank of Thailand, and if they were honest they would shrug their shoulders.  If you changed the question a bit and asked "what will happen to the baht/pound exchange rate over the next year" (or month or week...), the only honest answer would be "it will fluctuate."

• Like 1