Big Joke arrests corrupt Thai immigration officers issuing fake stamps to foreigners

rooster59

Seriously wondering, how this works. I cross in and out very often and they always, irrespective of border post, insist on taking a photo, cap off, glasses off, no smile! 
Quite obviously the immigration programme needs a photo to complete the transaction. As this is not possible .......... just asking, if a face recognition programme would sort out all those fellas where the photo does not match. Unless, of course, you could "rent a Nigerian" to stand in for Jonathan Goodfellow's underling! 

• Thanks 1

I guess I am confused about why a genuine immigration officer would use a fake stamp in somebody's passport.  

I can understand why some street corner scammer would do it - because they're not really immigration officers and hence they don't have access to the genuine stamps.  But why would a real immigration officer risk being caught by using a fake stamp to imprint a passport when they have access to the genuine stamps?

[edit] The reason I ask is because I always hear about these fake stamps, and every time I leave immigration I look at my passport and ask myself how do I know if he used a fake stamp or a real one?

Edited by attrayant

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I guess I am confused about why a genuine immigration officer would use a fake stamp in somebody's passport.  

Could be fake in that the passport holder never left Thailand, rather than the stamp not being a genuine stamp. In that way, the Immigration computer would also be updated. The only thing missing would be the photo.

I know they can stamp you in without a photo as once with me they forgot. And then they chased after me a couple of minutes later and called me back to have my photo taken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

It won't be an invite will it, anyone using an agent because they don't have the required funds, or because they cannot bring themselves to trust a Thai bank with the measly amount needed would be in for a quick trip back home.

MEASLY ????   The required funds are far too high,  Think for a cross section, not everyone has 65k a month and can live a very comfortable life here on Half of that, posters with your attitude smell on TVF,  selfish and non caring.......If I have lived here in a 3 bed bungalow 14 years  new car, pets and have savings from the 30k a month  makes your smug post irrelevant.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, Ossy said:

Could be the ONLY honest cop in Thailand.

I came across a few at a check point driving from mae sai to nong khai. I didn't have the red book filled out for drivinf3on tje red plates. And they just didn't help me to fill it out but also informed me to keep my fine receipt incase i get stopped again and asked for fine money. Then they asked me if i knew where i was going in laos to make my new visa to make sure i knew where i was going to make a new visa for thailand. They wanted to make aueei waa safe and taken care of and i safely got my new visa to stay in thailand. For sure on the rare side though. I will say this much. I like what big like did here. But the more difficult visa extensions i don't like. Like for myself after get married and get first 1 extension bassed on marriage in April from embassy income letter. But next yr need to show 40k baht month being transfered into a thai bank account for 12 months to get it. Having the 400k in a thai bank account. A mix between the 400k and income or the 40k month income from another country i could easily meet. But now dont know how going to do so. We have around 33k month which is plenty for us to live on. But to get that extra 10k as after the fee to make the transfer comes out to more around 43k or more to make the 40k month receive after transfer. How we will get me that extra 10k we have no idea especially in a short amount if time being 2 months for it to start. I also worry about my long term visa situation if not gain thai citizenship and if this keeps going. After we leave to go america after we finish study at university. We may not be able to live here anymore. And only come back for visits. Which could put a serious strain and hardship on our marriage. Thailand has both good and bad things happening right now and sadly the bad is far outweighing the good. 

• Like 1

400-800k too high? people here who think that almost certainly don't have medical insurance and if they cannot meet the LEGAL requirements to stay here such people need to take responsibility for themselves and go home.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

400-800k too high? people here who think that almost certainly don't have medical insurance and if they cannot meet the LEGAL requirements to stay here such people need to take responsibility for themselves and go home.

I don't complain about the 400k but the 40k month transfer every month starting next yr i do.its lot easier to get 400k into a thai bank account then it is to have 40k transgered from another country every month. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

It is not just the 800k and well you know it,  so if your'e alright jack ....not post,  your'e after brownie points and not for you to tell people to go home, too many of your type on here ,  put your point but not dig at other people.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

I don't complain about the 400k but the 40k month transfer every month starting next yr i do.its lot easier to get 400k into a thai bank account then it is to have 40k transgered from another country every month. 

I agree, it is not just about the cash it is about the pension transferred from the pension department to a Thai bank, and a UK pension is adequate at 30k,  so please tell me how I can ask the pension department for an increase ??   I loathe arrogant people on here telling other members to GO HOME

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

I came across a few at a check point driving from mae sai to nong khai. I didn't have the red book filled out for drivinf3on tje red plates. And they just didn't help me to fill it out but also informed me to keep my fine receipt incase i get stopped again and asked for fine money. Then they asked me if i knew where i was going in laos to make my new visa to make sure i knew where i was going to make a new visa for thailand. They wanted to make aueei waa safe and taken care of and i safely got my new visa to stay in thailand. For sure on the rare side though. I will say this much. I like what big like did here. But the more difficult visa extensions i don't like. Like for myself after get married and get first 1 extension bassed on marriage in April from embassy income letter. But next yr need to show 40k baht month being transfered into a thai bank account for 12 months to get it. Having the 400k in a thai bank account. A mix between the 400k and income or the 40k month income from another country i could easily meet. But now dont know how going to do so. We have around 33k month which is plenty for us to live on. But to get that extra 10k as after the fee to make the transfer comes out to more around 43k or more to make the 40k month receive after transfer. How we will get me that extra 10k we have no idea especially in a short amount if time being 2 months for it to start. I also worry about my long term visa situation if not gain thai citizenship and if this keeps going. After we leave to go america after we finish study at university. We may not be able to live here anymore. And only come back for visits. Which could put a serious strain and hardship on our marriage. Thailand has both good and bad things happening right now and sadly the bad is far outweighing the good. 

Too true, mate and a welcome though rare post ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Could be fake in that the passport holder never left Thailand, rather than the stamp not being a genuine stamp.

Thanks, that makes some sense.  In that case, the OP should have said stamps were fraudulently issued.  An important distinction.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

How does it work, an immigration officer doesn't have to use fake stamps, they can just stamp with the real stamps that they use at work, can someone explain how it works? 

Even if the rubber stamps are real, if the data is not entered into the system, the stamps would be fake. It is only good for visual checks not logging into the immigration computer system. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, rooster59 said:

The police have been charged with dereliction of duty and accepting or encouraging others to accept bribes. 

Hmm, didn't know dereliction of duty, accepting and encouraging others to accept bribes were chargeable offences in Thailand. At the rate this is going, there will be no more law enforcers in the country? Never mind the police.

In any case, credit where it is due and good luck Big Joke. Hope this isn't a flash-in-a-pan.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

The thing is, many of them are at home (Thailand)

Well put.....A good point to think about, A good ranking school teacher here on 30k a month  usually has a car, a nice home, family, and lives far better that most people.  But immigration putting a figure of 65k income for ex pats , and some posters agreeing with it...... in reality the school teacher should demand another 35k a month because he cannot live on his 30k,  get my drift.       The high threshold for ex pats is encouraging more corruption to get round the problem.      Most pensioners that get the UK 30k a month can live the same as a school teacher----get my drift  ???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kannot said:

The sort of TOTAL AND  UTTER CRAP that another poster  said doesnt  happen, like our bed photo, had  about 6  inches missing off  the corner, wouldnt accept it................how the <deleted> does that prove we  are  married?? its  just stupidity

SO sorry this happened to you. Must be karma.

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

The problem I see with the above is that immigration need the agents to facilitate their countrymen and ease the path to immigration's back door, I for one would not be brazen enough to ask outright of an immigration official if they were up for a backhander !! Would you :stoner:

No need  to  ask , any problems , i use the  discreet sittang on the table method ,

quicker, and more cost effective .

Sadly with the  demise of the gbp,  it is becoming the  option of many expats in LOS.

9 hours ago, ginjag said:

I agree, it is not just about the cash it is about the pension transferred from the pension department to a Thai bank, and a UK pension is adequate at 30k,  so please tell me how I can ask the pension department for an increase ??   I loathe arrogant people on here telling other members to GO HOME

Can't you have your pension deposited in a bank back home and have them transfer to a Thai bank each month? That leave the pension dept out of it as they might not have the facilities (or desire) to make an international deposit/transfer for you. 

1 minute ago, HuskerDo said:

Can't you have your pension deposited in a bank back home and have them transfer to a Thai bank each month? That leave the pension dept out of it as they might not have the facilities (or desire) to make an international deposit/transfer for you. 

See my previous post(on 16), 30k per month UK pension  Is insufficient according to Immigration, but wealthy school teachers manage to buy a home, have a new car,family living on the same 30k per month,   does NOT make sense to me.  to note the pension is ordered to come from source direct to a Thai bank...