Can you cope with a Fan room ?

georgegeorgia

Just wondering how many of you live in fan only housing ?

As a visitor to Thailand I tried it few times w/o  Air Con and only Condo where there was a shady side and cool breeze coming in could i survive without it .

it actually wasnt too bad, it was a high rise condo up at the Flybird apartment building in Pattaya and the cool breeze coming in was much better than a Air Con.

I stayed there 6 weeks using Air Bnb paid 4,000 a month , and whilst at first i was angry with myself for being so stingy,choosing a accomodation with no Air Con , after a few weeks I got used to it believe it or not .

had a few ceiling fan plus desk type fans plus cool breeze coming in and i started to be as happy as larry, didnt want Air Con by the time I left 6 weeks later , i just got used to being without it.

I do know a Aussie expat on the pension renting a room who chooses not to have it for various reasons.

my question is how many of you choose ‘ fan only ‘ rooms/ accomodation  when on holidays or even living as a expat ?

And if you have a “ fan only” room, is that because of financial reasons eg Air Con too expensive or because of health  reasons eg Air con causing throat infections etc or you just prefer and CAN live without it.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes you do get used to it after awhile .

The problem with AlWAYS using a Air Con is that you start never wanting to be without it.

I had the same problem, always turned in the Air con everytime i entered room the too, Regardless if it sas  hot or not, my body then couldn’t cope without it.

You start wanting to turn it on nearly everytime u enter the room because yoir body is used to not being uncomfortable 

I wonder if those if you who live in villages have acclimatised yourself to be without it ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

When i was cheap when i first came here and lived in a rented house without aircon I hated it. But i knew the owner did not want to install one. The moment the wife and me got a home for ourselves i bought an aircon. I never looked back I got 3 aircon now, one in the bedroom one in my gym and one in the living room. Not going to save money on not having one if I had to save money i would rather save it on something else. 

God Bless Mom n Dad,

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Not many are honest enough to say they cant afford it, so you will get some waffley BS eventually about "i donr need it", so far so good. Cars n House @ 25, Bangkok Banks are colder than our freezer.!

Whilst I probaly could afford it , i prefer not to 

I prefer a fan room with an air conditioner blowing directly behind it.

Nothing wrong with those who prefer a fan only room, hopefully they take the showering habits of the Thais too. Yesterday a musty unwashed body smell was detected on more than a few foreigners.

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

and the cool breeze coming in was much better than a Air Con.

No way!

The main problem for many people is not temperature, but Humidity !

By example yesterday afternoon the humidity was below 40%,

but in the middle of the night it climbs above 90% !

So I often let my aircon run at night in "DRY mode", with t° 27-28 °C

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

I know some people , even me, get sick by using Air con, bronchitis etc, and flu viruses

I just think there is no need. Once you get used to being without A/C you're fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I just think there is no need. Once you get used to being without A/C you're fine.

People and situations are different, I lived for at least a year without aircon. I never got used to it it was hel. Maybe the house i lived in was hotter.

Same for working, if i don't have aircon on i get far less productive. So for me its easy use an aircon. 

My brother and his wife on the other hand when we were on a holliday in the south of Thailand only used the aircon a bit some days not as they did not like it. So people are just different. 

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes you do get used to it after awhile .

The problem with AlWAYS using a Air Con is that you start never wanting to be without it.

I had the same problem, always turned in the Air con everytime i entered room the too, Regardless if it sas  hot or not, my body then couldn’t cope without it.

You start wanting to turn it on nearly everytime u enter the room because yoir body is used to not being uncomfortable 

I wonder if those if you who live in villages have acclimatised yourself to be without it ?

I live in the countryside and unfortunately, we are shielded by local  hills and so get little in the way of breeze. Yes, I have got used to not having air-con on during the day, and the evening, but it is hard going sometimes. I must admit that it is keeping the bills within reasonable bounds that stops me using it in the evenings, in the study or watching TV. I have a pool, so in the last resort, its a quick dip in the evenings to cool down. I spent many years in the Military and  of course, not so much as a fan in many of the hot places we operated.  I don't remember ever being too bothered by the heat , except when strapping into a very hot aircraft cockpit in mid summer, oh,  and on one notable exception in Malta in August, but I was newly married at the time, which perhaps explains it.  ????