Can you cope with a Fan room ?

georgegeorgia

I prefer a fan as I find the contrast between indoors and outside messes with my body.

The same up here in North West Scotland, I rarely put the heating for more than a couple 

of hours a day in the winter.

My girl is from Ubon and anywhere we stay, she has to set the Aircon as low as it can go.

She says she does it for me, so I will feel comfortable, but I think it's more of a treat for

herself!

Depends on the humidity level. I usually use fans only and keep the air con set to 26 - 27 but it doesn't come on all that often. Everyone is different. I know one guy that wore a sweater at work when the temp was set at 26. Fat too chilly for him. 

5 hours ago, Poopyface said:

This is precisely why I like fan rooms. That, and I just don't like going back and forth from frigid temps to ambient.

I stay at a lot of hotels. I assume they all change/clean the filters on the AC units somewhere around the 12th of never.

Blasting air through filthy filters can't be good for your health. Constantly sucking in outside air all day and night long, in areas with poor air quality sounds pretty counter-intuitive.

Unless you own the AC unit, you've no clue how well maintained they are.

Probably not so much here in Thailand.

Switching my body temp back and forth doesn't feel natural or healthy to me.

Acclimating to my environment does.

I find it easier to stay hydrated when I am tuned into the local climate and not stressing my body with hot/cold fluctuations all day.

I've also noticed that rooms with AC often don't have serviceable windows or proper bug screens, thus no option other than the AC. Yuk.

Do I get joy when I notice how much I save long-term? Heck ya!

But it isn't the primary motivator, the savings is a welcome side effect.

To each his own.

You make a good point ,if your going to have a fan room whether it be in a guesthouse or your own you need a good open window for fresh air to come in,so check the room ventilation before renting one.

i recall seeing a thread on here many moons ago about a farang asking if he can get a refund as he had paid in advance and not inspected a Fan only room in a guesthouse, only to find it had a window that half opened not letting in much ventilation.

Edited by georgegeorgia

My first year only had a fan.

Even up north in Chiang Rai, the hot season Mar- May was miserable trying to sleep at night with only a fan. During the day, not so bad.

It's not necessarily more expensive. 

My wife found another place with AC for the same price.

Just pay more for electricity.

As of now near Chiang Rai, I don't need a fan - I need a blanket. Mostly use a fan. If it is really hot, I set the aircon at 27 C and sleep all night with it on.

I can afford to use the aircon more, but I don't like wasting money.

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

28 degrees ?  That would be too hot for some people i guess.

My aircon is always set at 28 degrees, and never need one when sleeping, but I

admit to always having the AC on when I use hotels, and would never use a fan room then.

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

My aircon is always set at 28 degrees, and never need one when sleeping, but I

admit to always having the AC on when I use hotels, and would never use a fan room then.

Why do you use them in hotels but not at home ? I use them whenever i need it. 28 for the one in the living room is good for me. 

When I lived in Burma some years ago, I got used to sleeping at night without even a fan, due to the regular power cuts every night.

Now back in Thailand, my rented house has no air-cons, I use a floor-standing fan to keep cool.

At night, I have the fan set to the lowest setting, but have to get up around 4 am to switch it off because I'm too cold!

As you can imagine, my electricity bill is low, around 900 baht a month for a 2 bedroom house.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Surely it's a matter of  "different horses for different courses"...?

That is for sure and the location of the house, build of the house. Then there are foreigners who adapt better then others. I never really adapted, give me an aircon I love it (not too low). Would be nice if i did not need it and save a few baht. But in the grand scheme of things its not a problem for me as of yet money wise. Who knows in 20 years.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Why do you use them in hotels but not at home ? I use them whenever i need it. 28 for the one in the living room is good for me. 

Sorry Rob, I printed a couple of paragraphs about my AC, then it all disappeared before my very eyes, and not for the first time.

56 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry Rob, I printed a couple of paragraphs about my AC, then it all disappeared before my very eyes, and not for the first time.

Perhaps your aircon temperature is set too high for your computer.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I do use the air cons at home, most times all through the day in my own little house. it's a small house which I had built on to my main house (a Thai style house) for my own private use. I use the aircon if necessary in the bedroom.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, owenm said:

I'm in a rental 3br 2 level townhouse in Nonthaburi which has one aircond in one smaller bedr. The master br is 3x larger and prefer using a large evaporative water air cooler instead. A large 30L Hatari, cost 4900thb and cools the temp by 3-4 deg with a 14in fan inbuilt, and keep the screened windows open at night for circulation.

In the living room a smaller water air cooler and an 18in floor fan keeps the room comfortable. Both air coolers have frozen water bricks to keep the water quite cool. The only disadvantage is having to fill them daily with water and clean the water tray monthly. 

We could move into the smaller br if we wanted, but don't need to. 

If we are away travelling in Thailand or SE Asia, most rooms have aircond, and the first thing I check is the filter. So many are black with fifth, cleaned maybe once yearly. So I pull the filter out, and if dirty a 2 min wash under the shower head or bum gun, let it dry out for an hour and refit it. And advise reception on checkout if was disgustingly filthy. I usually take a before and after photo to show them. 

Four years ago I was staying in a boutique hotel off Sukhumvit in BKK, with very stuffy aircond. Two weeks later when back home in Oz developed Pneumonia and Legionnaires Disease, in ICU for 10 days and was off work for 3 mths. Later found out from my doctor that I was extremely lucky to survive. 85% don't he said.. So I am now extremely cautious about aircond cleanliness. The airborne spores of mould and bacteria can be far more lethai than PM2.5.. 

How do you take the filter out?

It has 3 filters, 1 rear and 2 on sides. They clip out in seconds, then wash with bum gun monthly when they look dirty.. Very easy and the water storage box has a drain which also gets flushed monthly..

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They need good airflow, with windows open. A worthwhile investment that's portable. But you have to be able to roll it between bathroom to fill it.. Again using bum gun is best and fast.. 1548812415673.jpeg1548812560000.jpeg

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app