Mueller probe 'close to being completed' -acting U.S. attorney general

webfact

Mueller probe 'close to being completed' -acting U.S. attorney general

2019-01-28T222057Z_1_LYNXNPEF0R1Q9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-JURY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Special Counsel Robert Mueller departs after briefing the House Intelligence Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 20, 2017. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein/File Photo/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The probe of possible Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, is wrapping up, Acting U.S. Attorney General Matthew Whitaker told reporters on Monday.

"I've been fully briefed on the investigation and I look forward to Director Mueller delivering the final report," he said at a press conference on U.S. charges against China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd."Right now the investigation is I think close to being completed and I hope that we can get the report from Director Mueller as soon as possible."

The investigation most recently ensnared a long-time confidant of President Donald Trump, political operative Roger Stone, and has led to the conviction of Trump's former campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

Mueller has been tight-lipped about when the months of closed-door grand jury sessions and plea deals will conclude, leaving questions over how far into the White House his probe will reach and what will happen to his findings. Trump's nominee to fill the attorney general post permanently, William Barr, recently pledged to make public as much of the report as possible, saying Mueller is required to file it confidentially.

Russia denies any wrongdoing in the 2016 election. Trump has repeatedly said he was not involved in any collusion with Russia and has often referred to the probe as a "witch hunt."

(Reporting by Andy Sullivan and Sarah N. Lynch; Writing by Lisa Lambert; editing by Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-29

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The probe of possible Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, is wrapping up, Acting U.S. Attorney General Matthew Whitaker told reporters on Monday.

Sounds familiar, hasn't this been said before? 

Actually someone (I think Rosenstein) said, back before the holidays, that it should be done by mid-February.

But then there is still the ongoing monkey business, will that be a separate case?  If so, there will still be redactions so as not to show their hand for the new case.

• Like 2

I doubt that any of the unsealed indictments are for Trump do to the existing DOJ policy.  But others in his family and immediate circle should be worried.  The Stone indictment was sealed an just unsealed last week when Mueller got tired of listening to his BS.  I suspect that the judge will putt a gag order on him tomorrow!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I think Muller is basically an honest man trying his best to do the job he was hired to do. The problem may be the pressure to find something or anything to justify more than two years of investigating and millions of dollars. Simply concluding that there is no evidence for collusion, for example, would make is seem like the time and money were wasted. That's why the investigation has started to branch out into very peripheral areas and involving peripheral players like Roger Stone and his ilk. He's gotta have SOMETHING to show for his efforts, even if it is just a very minor scalp or two.

Do you think they are waiting for Barr to be confirmed to present it(report)?

Edited by riclag

28 minutes ago, wayned said:

That's total BS, he is a federal employee and the expenses are tightly controlled, especially in this case.  It is estimated that it has cost a total of 25 million so far, that's  0.43859% of the 5.7 billion that trump wants for his wall!

yep

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/trump-tweet-mueller-probe-usd40-million-fact-check-paul-manafort.html

• Thanks 1