List of Unforseen events that could result in an invalid retirement extension

Rumors about a possible bank run cause you to panic and withdraw all your money. A few days later the government reassures the public and you redeposit the money, but you get kicked out for violating immigration requirements.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

With respect Sheryl, too complicated. Not everyone is as smart as you.

Thais authorities and banks will never handle the logistics and the average retiree punter wont understand the details.

A simple solution is to just let us use the 800K to purchase a property or a business in our name. And make it retrospective. 

That is, anyone who has already purchased a condo (worth more than 800K) in their name need only show their chanote to get their extension.

But such a policy would make it easier for many retirees and we all know that that is not the intended outcome of these recent changes.

EDIT:

I have just started a new thread on this idea as I think it is worth exploring.  If the Thai authorities want us to lock up our money all year why can't we lock it up in a the purchase of a condo or business. Your comments and thoughts are welcomed:

Edited by Khaeng Mak

7 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

EDIT:

I have just started a new thread on this idea as I think it is worth exploring.  If the Thai authorities want us to lock up our money all year why can we lock it up in a the purchase of a condo or business. Your comments and thoughts are welcomed:

Another new topic to add to all your others....total value zip.

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, overherebc said:

You missed the worst and all too common nowadays, being mauled by your neighbours hamster or budgie, or god forbid, both of them at the same time.

Don't forget being 'ex-Thai wifed!!!' That is the biggest expense and loss!!!! Trust me on that one!!

On 2/2/2019 at 9:42 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Many people think so, but there are in reality many cases for which insurances will refuse to pay. A frequent one is a road accident when the driver is drunk or under drugs... Depends of course of Your insurance, but many people got very bad surprises (big bills) after such accidents...

I have no love of insurance companies, they are among the biggest crooks on earth, but if the insured person is drunk or high on drugs, and in an accident, then they do not deserve any pay outs.

• Like 1

This list could apply to the vast amount ( if not all) desirable retirement locations. Some of the items on the list could well happen in your home country. Retirement requires a lot of planning and "what ifs". Sure can't plan for everything but if you did you would never leave your fall out shelter.... Clearly the most vulnerable to the changes are those that have been living on the edge for a while or those that have purely falsified their income for obtaining Embassy affidavits. 

I think this is just scare mongering...

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Everyone seems to be making out that 800K is all they have to live off and that’s it, nothing more.

If that’s the case I’d be more concerned about the rest of my life than a visa extension. 

Clearly, Immigration believe that ex-pats need an income of 800,000 per year to survive in Thailand.   In addition to that yearly income, they now also need a minimum of spare cash (400,000) for the whole year and a minimum of spare cash of 800,000 for six months of the year.  If the idea is that non-insured ex-pats here would then have cash available for emergencies such as hospital treatment, that simply does not make sense, since they would only have 400,000 available for six months of the year and then that sum would have to be replaced prior to their renewal application and left there for a total of 6 months again.

It seems that it is a plan to increase deposits in Thai bank and that is all.

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Everyone seems to be making out that 800K is all they have to live off and that’s it, nothing more.

If that’s the case I’d be more concerned about the rest of my life than a visa extension. 

Thanks for your helpful input.

I am not broke.  I just need to manage my money carefully to take care of me and my family. The strategy I was using was perfectly fine up until a week ago. Now because of this recent change I am exposed to a risk of being on more then 6 months overstay which could result in me banned from Thailand for 5 years.

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Now because of this recent change I am exposed to a risk of being on more then 6 months overstay which could result in me banned from Thailand for 5 years.

How would that happen? It would only happen if you did not renew your extension and did not leave the country.

You would declared you on overstay if your money went below 400k baht. There is no mention of that in the order.

What I fail to understand is they want you to have all this money in the bank tied up whereas the far easier option is to transfer the equivalent of 65,000 baht per month by doing this my transfer fees would be £120 for the year far cheaper and easier than tying your money up long term in a Thai bank account . I would of thought that anyone who has the monthly income in pensions , property rental would be much better to go down the monthly route and my understanding is that those who will be using this route for 2019 will be dealt with sympathetically due to the short notice given by embassies and the immigration burea.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, overherebc said:

Once again wrong on so many points.

The whole subject on the 800,000 is being applied to one year extensions of stay based on retirement.

I've always had a visa ( from places outside Thailand )

An O-A long term visa is only valid for one year and then becomes an extension of stay/permission to stay for one more year, at which point if you go on holiday and return you require a re-entry permit, which you didn't need while the VISA was valid.

See attached.

1. visa 1 year multi entry.

2. short extension of stay.

3. Retirement extension of stay. 1 year.

1. Does not require a re-entry permit.

2 and 3 require a re-entry permit to stay valid.

(NB: 2 and 3 do not have the word 'visa' on them anywhere except as printed on the passport pages )

1298184577_images(43).jpeg.0809203cd6b2f9202522b952b4df1f77.jpegpost-210278-0-83293200-1435222640_thumb.jpg.4c235223e5d7f6c3f3c2ce08dc402695.jpg

images (18).jpeg

See the word RETIREMENT. But actually, I dont give a stuff what is called, I just like to give the experts on all subjects something to occupy their minds. Truth be known, it actually called a Stay Permit , as per IO law book. 

20 hours ago, Spidey said:

I live in East Pattaya. I have visited many parts of Thailand and, on balance, find Pattaya the best place to live. When I first came to live here, I already had a preference for Chiang Mai, however my wife preferred Pattaya. Now, a few years down the line, I know that her choice was a wise one.

You have probably only experienced Central Pattaya and the bar scene. There is much more to Pattaya than that.

So, please change the record, it's very boring......and inaccurate.

Amen. I live North of town and of course it is substantially different that living in a dump on Soi Buakhao. I went all over Thailand before settling and decided on Pattaya area. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

The corruption and mafia are legion. Immigration problematic at best.

Up until recently, renewing a retirement ext based on cash in the bank has been simple for over a decade. 90 day  reports 2 minutes, and what's a TM 30? If you wanted immigration hassle, you went to Chiangmai or Chiangrai.

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

My wife has never been taken fore, or treated as a prostitute.

She has been 'looked down on' for being with a farang in places far from Pattaya. If anything it is more accepted and normal here. Bigots everywhere. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, indepth said:

See the word RETIREMENT. But actually, I dont give a stuff what is called, I just like to give the experts on all subjects something to occupy their minds. Truth be known, it actually called a Stay Permit , as per IO law book. 

Good save.  ????

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One can fully meet that description and still have problems when the rules keep changing so rapidly and are issued in such an unclear manner.

There are a host of un-thought-through  issues that the new rules create. To name just a few: 

- How to document that funds that came from abroad, actually did (not at all straightfoward as anyone who has followed the relevant threads can attest).

- Excessive and unnecessary financial transaction fees due to the way requirements are structured (e.g. have to do monthly transfers, will cost 4 times as much as sending the same amount of money in quarterly)

-Thai banking rules and procedures that make opening accounts diffcult for many people and make getting money out after someone's death difficult for all.

etc etc etc

And above all the uncertainty created by the constant change and vague wording of directives. Even if we think we can decipher the intent, no may will all Imm offices nationwide do so and in the same way. We already saw a wave of IOs telling people the income method was no longer allowed, only to now have new rules that appear designed to discourage any other method. Many telling people no more combo method (and the latest issuance, which does describe combo method, does it in a manner that is open to multiple interpretations).

Actually it is those of us trying to follow the rules that have the biggest problem. The  rule benders simply rely on agents who operate dishonestly, and nothing that has been done will interfere with that. Those people don't even need to try to figure out the new rules, just ask their agent how much they have to pay.

Ah look, I agree that it isn't easy and some things like local interpretation are a nightmare. There are others you mention like the cost of transferring funds and the proof of origination. Sorry, but if the cost of a handful of bank transfers is a deal breaker, then you are not yet ready to retire in LOS. Also, there is always documentation to prove origination of funds. If however the IO wont accept it then that is another matter altogether. Re opening Bank Accounts. Not so, if all is legit - just go the the Bangkok Bank website that sets out exactly what you need to do. Finally, transferring funds on death. Just make a will, lodge it and have done with it.

Too many people looking for excuses and reasons why not. Start to look for the positives. Tens of thousands have and still do make it work here by following the rules.

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Amen. I live North of town and of course it is substantially different that living in a dump on Soi Buakhao. I went all over Thailand before settling and decided on Pattaya area. 

What about living in a non-dump in Bukhao? Or are you inferring they are all dumps?

1 hour ago, rott said:

What about living in a non-dump in Bukhao? Or are you inferring they are all dumps?

I existed in Patts for many years,  now Im living at Patong Beach. Aaaaand loving it, as Maxwell would say. Beautiful beaches, plenty of chinese eye candy, an Oz consul.