Asked to show onward ticket flying to Thailand on my retirement extension

20 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

Hi observer90210, I don't think they were trying to scam us I think they were just incompetent. We speculated that perhaps the $1000 was to cover them if they were fined for flying people in without onward tickets perhaps? I have emailed their complaints department in Cambodia and if they reply I will update the story.

Only thing to do really... agree it's down to ignorance and incompetence. As an aside, since the advent of cheap local simcards and much better smartphones in recent years, I don't think I've ever been at an airport check in without some data access on my phone, which means it's possible to book a 900 baht onward flight to Rangoon right on the spot. 

• Like 1

Some airlines ask passengers who don't have a return or onwards ticket to sign a waiver absolving the airline of any liability or responsibility if the passenger is refused entry at the destination because they don't have an onwards ticket. If JC International should provide passengers without an onwards ticket with a waiver which must be signed before they board.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks to the OP for the info on the cheating scammer airline - JC International Airlines....definately boycotted from my list of carriers.

Yes, that was a  scam. Not poorly educated or stupid airline staff. I had never heard of JC International Airlines , how much is their ticket PP-BKK?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Some airlines ask passengers who don't have a return or onwards ticket to sign a waiver absolving the airline of any liability or responsibility if the passenger is refused entry at the destination because they don't have an onwards ticket. If JC International should provide passengers without an onwards ticket with a waiver which must be signed before they board.

Your talking about travelers WITHOUT a valid visa to Thailand. In op case onward not required not is waiver.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Only thing to do really... agree it's down to ignorance and incompetence. As an aside, since the advent of cheap local simcards and much better smartphones in recent years, I don't think I've ever been at an airport check in without some data access on my phone, which means it's possible to book a 900 baht onward flight to Rangoon right on the spot. 

why would you? 

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op was RETURNING to bkk from pp. He is on retirement extension. You suggest bus trip? to border crossing los?  Why not go to Saigon by bus make a weekend of it.

Book a bus trip out of Thailand so that he gets an onward ticket.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:
47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The op was RETURNING to bkk from pp. He is on retirement extension. You suggest bus trip? to border crossing los?  Why not go to Saigon by bus make a weekend of it.

Or bicycle even. ????????

Or bicycle odd - probably make it a unicycle or tricycle...

33 minutes ago, Myran said:

Book a bus trip out of Thailand so that he gets an onward ticket.

There have been lots of treads about "onward flight" requirement. I as per op, am living bkk retirement extension. So to point. I fly Saigon every couple of weeks and back. Last trip at check in Saigon. The lady was flicking through my pp. I said..your looking for my Thai visa?

Answer Yes. I show her my visa and then asked her what if I didn't have one. Her reply ....you need show onward flight. I asked is bus ticket OK. Her answer... NO.

That was AirAsia 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Book online fly ticket to nearby country with insurance then cancel ticket. Bus ticket did not do it for me when I crossed from Poi Pet land border.

Yes true but this OP has a Thai visa. Does not require onward flight.

• Like 1

I used them a few weeks ago to fly to Phnom Penh from BKK, the check in was slow due to staff having passengers to sign a disclaimer form. When I came to check in he asked me about a visa, I assume Cambodia ! I told him you get one on arrival, he was obviously not aware of that, then asked about onward travel? I had a one way ticket, To were I replied, back to Thailand he said, I replied I may not go back to Thailand, anyway after a few more stupid questions I signed a disclaimer. Just sheer stupidity and ignorance by JC staff.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

A waiver is fine, but won't cover the cost of returning the traveller to the starting point if they are refused entry at destination. But your visa was good so either incompetence or a scam. Some time back my wife was refused check in by Thai Airways because she had no return ticket although she had a good visa to enter France, her destination, without one as my family member. Its too late to do anything by that time of course so you have no choice. In her case to rebook with a return ticket at huge additional cost. I always book returns now, even for myself!

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

A few years ago when returning to Thailand from Australia flying with an Australian airline, the person checking me in tried to insist that I needed a return ticket to Australia.

After spending nearly 15 minutes explaining that I lived here had a retirement extension etc etc and showing the extensions from previous years I insisted she call a manager.

The guy had a quick look at my passport, gave her a demeaning look, shook his head, told her to check me in and walked away.

I put it down to lack of trainining or the person not being very smart.

Had exactly the same thing a few years ago - with valid marriage extension & re-entry permit - but that was returning to BKK from Singapore on Singapore Airlines. Resolved by a more knowledgeable supervisor but I'd expect better from even inexperienced Singapore Airlines staff.

Edited by MartinL

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

Another thread about poorly informed/educated idiots that works on airlines.... Good on you, dont use that company again.

glegolo

Even happens in USA, I had a friend on retirement extension , came back to Boston,MA for a visit. When he tried to board the plane in Boston to go back to Bangkok the girl at counter said he needed a RT ticket. He had to ask for a supervisor who told the girl board him, he lives in Thailand, doesn't need a return ticket.

• Haha 2