Abhisit the only Democrat candidate for PM

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does anybody understand how to solve the up-country problems?

What some politicians obviously understand is how to motivate the people to vote for them and their populist policies.

But did anybody, including Thaksin and his minions, actually solve many problems in the N and NE?

Farmers are happy to get some money. And middlemen and happier because they get even more money. And TRT politicians are happy that the people are happy because they got some money but still poor so that next time they will vote again for the corrupt with will give them a few crumbs of the cake.

I am sure the Democrats or any other party could have perfect solutions for NE and the people would still continue to vote for the corrupt...

Firstly, equitable distribution of wealth and services

Secondly, autonomy.

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What some politicians obviously understand is how to motivate the people to vote for them and their populist policies.

But did anybody, including Thaksin and his minions, actually solve many problems in the N and NE?

Farmers are happy to get some money. And middlemen and happier because they get even more money. And TRT politicians are happy that the people are happy because they got some money but still poor so that next time they will vote again for the corrupt with will give them a few crumbs of the cake.

I am sure the Democrats or any other party could have perfect solutions for NE and the people would still continue to vote for the corrupt...

All good points.

IMHO farmers will continue to be poor no matter how the overall current situation is structured and yes they urgently need much better education etc., to understand the big picture and understand other possibilities.

I'm convinced that the picture should be very different; farmers grow the food we all need and cannot survive without, they feed us all, but they are dirt poor. It's wrong!

I believe strongly that the whole picture is wrong and unworkable and that farming / food production should be subsidized. Also much better education so that farmers and their kids have other employment options.  I believe this approach needs deep and urgent discussion and what should never be allowed to happen is rich people drive farmers off their land. Unthinkable. 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Many think he is responsible for the taking of innocent lives.   He's hated.  He is lack luster in his speeches and a liability to his party, not an asset. 

And no doubt the red brigade, the 'red democracy schools' etc etc will keep that notion alive and well into the future. 

It would be interesting right now to get a clear picture of what the red brigade is doing in villages right now. I can't possibly believe they are silent and home watching Thai TV soaps etc.

Abhisit is definitely NOT the answer.  He has little political acumen much less so than his far less educated opponents. He's never won an election outright, only forming a coalition gov years ago.

Land grab issues also plague this dope.

Thaksin or little sister would wipe the floor with him.

He should retire to his family manor in England.

15 hours ago, anchadian said:

Abhisit had an excellent education having attended Eton college and also has bachelor's and master's degrees from Oxford AND of course he can speak fluent English.  Unlike the current puppet.

And despite that education abroard, he is a ghost puppet of the jaunta, was a total failure when appointed by a previous military coup and is really just such a whip.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

All good points.

IMHO farmers will continue to be poor no matter how the overall current situation is structured and yes they urgently need much better education etc., to understand the big picture and understand other possibilities.

I'm convinced that the picture should be very different; farmers grow the food we all need and cannot survive without, they feed us all, but they are dirt poor. It's wrong!

I believe strongly that the whole picture is wrong and unworkable and that farming / food production should be subsidized. Also much better education so that farmers and their kids have other employment options.  I believe this approach needs deep and urgent discussion and what should never be allowed to happen is rich people drive farmers off their land. Unthinkable. 

It seems a big problem with many farmers is that they have not even basic business skills. I hear all the time that after the harvest they collect money and then many of them spend that money like there is no tomorrow. And then, not too long later, they need money for the next crop. What now? How could anybody foresee that could happen? So they have to borrow money. And how about some fertilizer? Borrow more money! Lets wait for the harvest and we are rich...

18 hours ago, anchadian said:

Abhisit had an excellent education having attended Eton college and also has bachelor's and master's degrees from Oxford AND of course he can speak fluent English.

Just like David Cameron. But that didn't make him a good PM either.

54 minutes ago, Basil B said:

He would be the best choice for PM but I think corruption will win as usual.

Lets not forget that corruption wins because the majority of the voters vote for corrupt politicians.

And then these voters are somehow surprised when they get a corrupt government.

TiT

Just like David Cameron. But that didn't make him a good PM either.
Indeed Cameron was one of the worst PMs ever and is potentially responsible for the destruction of the UK. Mark also bears much responsibility for Thailand's current desperate political situation. The sooner they are both out of politics for good the better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, anchadian said:

Abhisit had an excellent education having attended Eton college and also has bachelor's and master's degrees from Oxford AND of course he can speak fluent English.  Unlike the current puppet.

So what? He had all these gifts, these opportunities of birth and privilege. And he blew it. He negotiated a government in a military barracks. He could have refused to take the poisoned chalice form that bit of chicanery. He is a democrat who boycotts elections. We have the pictures of him whistleblowing with that paragon of virtue, Suthep. He could a been a contender. But he's not. He's a pretender. And the years have made him less handsome which was a primary claim to fame. Years and years ago,

But he speaks nice. Oooh, such alovely accent

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's obvious that Abhisit is a better choice the many of them - maybe all of them.

But somehow Thai voters can't see that...

Absolutely not obvious. If it was so obvious, the people (as despicable, stupid, lumpen as they are) would have voted for him. They don't like him much. Yes, I know, handsome, Oxford, nice voice, good manners... but...

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Well yes, Thaksin did solve some problems. Like the problem of we can't afford Grannie's disease. And death. It's called universal health care. It increased waiting time for others at the hospital but ...

On 2/1/2019 at 9:54 PM, anchadian said:

He also meekly stood by and let the military shoot dead 100 Thais during his tenure as unelected PM.

I wonder which achievement carries more weight in the minds of the average Thai voter?

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

http://faculty.nps.edu/relooney/Rel_JSPES_04.pdf

https://www.newmandala.org/how-bad-is-thaksinomics/

9 hours ago, tomta said:

Absolutely not obvious. If it was so obvious, the people (as despicable, stupid, lumpen as they are) would have voted for him. They don't like him much. Yes, I know, handsome, Oxford, nice voice, good manners... but...

I live 6-7 km outside BKK city border, in the NW.

In my soi, there are plenty blue collar / low earner workers,

some fairly well off, no rich ones.

When I mention Abhisit they mostly give me a blank stare and shake their heads.

My take is that most of them would be very comfortable if the junta leader 

continued as PM after the elections.

They are not much interested in democracy/freedom of speech etc,

but very keen on piece and quiet.

They perceive that there is piece and quiet, to a large extent, today,

and they want that to continue.

I live 6-7 km outside BKK city border, in the NW.
In my soi, there are plenty blue collar / low earner workers,
some fairly well off, no rich ones.

When I mention Abhisit they mostly give me a blank stare and shake their heads.

My take is that most of them would be very comfortable if the junta leader 
continued as PM after the elections.
They are not much interested in democracy/freedom of speech etc,
but very keen on piece and quiet.
They perceive that there is piece and quiet, to a large extent, today,
and they want that to continue.

Regrettably I think you're right. The only hope is possibly with the next generation but I fear they too are unlikely to show the courage of their Hong Kong counterparts. Very sad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived