New Rules- Has anyone asked senior immigration officials?

Do the new rules apply only to NEW extensions of stay based on retirement or does it apply to all?

If it applies to all then it is a big change in requirements, if it's not then it's a storm in a teacup.

Can't see any point in asking at your local office as there seems to be as much confusion with IO's as with expats.

Surely TV have the contacts to get the information from the big guns, "are the new rules all encompassing or only for new applications from 1st March?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I know no different than what the order states, I will go to a bit of a meeting Friday and perhaps hear some more. 

Only asking as I had heard different from a reasonable source but as it only appears that people have approached their local offices for information.

Somebody must have access to immigration bigwigs for a definitive answer to a simple but important question.

I did spoke to the IMO manager, of a southern province /Nakhon Si,  a couple days ago and asked about the new retirement & marriage visa regulations the answer """ same, same, wait and see """ he knew about the TV forum and knew people are not happy, thus '' same, same,"

So based on the answers to my original question so far there has been no contact with immigration bigwigs only interpretations of the police order?

Immigration would have a great get out clause if the foot shot turns ugly.

30 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Only asking as I had heard different from a reasonable source but as it only appears that people have approached their local offices for information.

Somebody must have access to immigration bigwigs for a definitive answer to a simple but important question.

I asked the top man at P'lok Imm last week, and he said 'As long as 800k come into bank from abroad I am OK. Lump sum or, monthly'

I am erring on the cautious and doing 66k a month, Transferwise, FTT in my Bkk Bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's for everyone applying for extensions after March. The only exceptions are people that were already grandfathered based on continuous extensions since 1998.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think that you are probably right but you don't know that for certain. Even the IOs don't seem to know.

In Chiang Rai today when I did my "800,00 in the bank" annual extension for retirement, they are using the new rules as effective today already.  I have to keep 800,000 Baht in the bank for three months from today, and 400,000 thereafter.  My extension wasn't due until March 3, so I extended early.

Edited by mojaco
clarificaton

3 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Goes to show they have no idea what they are doing, what a shower!

How could they really? These recent orders (and memos) are about as clear as muddy mud. Given such lack of guidance they're covered doing just about anything!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mojaco said:

In Chiang Rai today when I did my "800,00 in the bank" annual extension for retirement, they are using the new rules as effective today already.  I have to keep 800,000 Baht in the bank for three months from today, and 400,000 thereafter.  My extension wasn't due until March 3, so I extended early.

Maybe because your extension begins after 1st March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Of course not. There are no rules for implementation. Each fiefdom gets to do whatever it wants.

That actually may turn out to be true.

As time goes on and the IO's ask their boss what about this or that, a decision will be made for that office.

It may not apply other places which has been the case historically.

The monthly may be judged differently who knows as some may look at an average.

But, adding and dividing numbers will not be something they will relish.

I do think the clearest, easiest, cleanest way is the 800 k which is my plan.

Edited by bkk6060

Re the requirement of having to keep retirement bank funds on deposit, in another thread here today, there was one report out of Chiang Rai where the IO told the applicant the new rules took effect now with his newly issued extension, while a report out of Chiang Mai had the IO telling the applicant the new rules wouldn't apply until March 1 as stated in the order. Take your pick!!!

9 minutes ago, john ianson said:

Do the new financial rules apply to ALL retirement visa extensions or only to the four embassies who ceased issuing income letters ?

Good question.

The new rules about 800K bank account applications apply to all.

The new rules about required monthly import are only about income based applications for people that can't get embassy letters.

Combo method for people that can't get embassy letters is not mentioned at all in orders or memos, so those expecting to do that need to be warned that based on what we know now, there is an excellent chance of rejection. 

How people are supposed to make plans in this kind of unclear chaotic environment is beyond me. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, john ianson said:

Do the new financial rules apply to ALL retirement visa extensions or only to the four embassies who ceased issuing income letters ?

If you can get a letter use it.

There has been a new acceptable income method you can use, or an Embassy letter.

Also 1st March changes to using 800k in a bank account method. 

58 minutes ago, mojaco said:

So how do you prove the mone is still in the bank? Do you have to go back to immigration with another letter?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flexomike said:

So how do you prove the mone is still in the bank? Do you have to go back to immigration with another letter?

Based on what we have seen in the last few days there would be little point in asking the IO's as they will have no idea.

• Like 2