I got shafted by a taxi today.

I live in Bkk so I'm not a nubie. Today I got a taxi to go to the airport.  I told the taxi what route to take and he went the wrong way (he was on the phone).  We subsequently got stuck in traffic and I missed my flight.  7000 THB later to change flights and hotel bookings, as there were no open seats available on the later flight.  My visa expires today so on top of the 7000THB I'll have the overstay stamp in my passport.  I will complain to the Taxi company, however, can I make a police report to give to immigration?  It's not a matter of the 500tbhb overstay charge it's about the overstay stamp in my passport. 

Edited by forrwhat

I have never had one problem in 7 yrs living in bkk. When first here, yes I used to carry on when driver would ask for this or that price, then I learnt...."no thankyou".  Recently arrived DM late, maybe midnight. First driver asked me 400 to Thailand culture MRT. I said no. Next accepted meter. I gave him 200. I think it was 140 on meter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I’d commented then had to delete it inlight of the fact that you’d actually left plenty of time (3hrs).... 

Ouch.... !!!! An idiot of a taxi driver properly screwed you. 

I guess you’ll have to chalk it down to experience and rely on Grab or AOT next time.... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, forrwhat said:

I'm not a Nubie. I know exactly how to get to the airport in multi-directions.  I gave it 3 hours before my flight to get to the airport.  He went into the city center.  He was taking me on a ride at the point I realized it was too late to get out I was stuck in gridlock and after 90 min hadn't made it to the expressway.

Where were you coming from since you allowed 3 hrs. Which equates in my thinking to one hour of taxi transport.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have never had one problem in 7 yrs living in bkk. When first here, yes I used to carry on when driver would ask for this or that price, then I learnt...."no thankyou".  Recently arrived DM late, maybe midnight. First driver asked me 400 to Thailand culture MRT. I said no. Next accepted meter. I gave him 200. I think it was 140 on meter.

+50 baht airport surcharge +Toll fee ??? 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

+50 baht airport surcharge +Toll fee ??? 

Yes I paid 70baht toll on top. 50 surcharge not needed these taxi doing drop off. The first guy 400 was never going to include toll. It was only 160 baht diff. About half price. No big deal. My point is I find the taxi drivers in bkk pretty good given the crap they put up with. Just one persons opinion. Tuk tuk is another beast.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

9 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

I live in the Asoke area. Instead of Sukhumvit or Rama IX he went into the city center.  I know their is a way from Rama III but I am not as sure about exact directions. 

Now I am laughing. Asoke if swampy you go MRT to phetchaburi then train underneath swampy. 1 hour max. If DM. Fron asoke take MRT to jay jay MRT. Shuttle bus to airport. It takes toll. 1 hour all up. Taxi may have been aware of problem Ratchadaphisek rd

You live bkk?

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

OP - i know how you feel, although i have never missed a flight.  i often wonder if the taxi driver is offended by the passenger suggesting the route.  i also live near asoke and to get to BKK airport i always tell the driver to go to Rama IV, get on the tollway, and go via bang na.  but the drivers always want to go to sukhumvit and get on the highway near sukhumvit soi 1.  the traffic on sukhumvit is horrible most times of day.  it can take 30 minutes just to get to the toll entrance (i'm nearly at the airport using the Rama IV option in 30 minutes !!!).  i can only assume some of the taxi drivers don't know the route via Rama IV.  sometimes i just use the taxi mafia guys stationed on my soi as i know they are aware of the best route as they are familiar with the area.

I once took a taxi from bang na to an obscure location in don mueang district, somewhere around 6 pm on a friday. absolutely horrible traffic. Took 3.5 hours due to getting lost and stopping to go to the bathroom, asking people directions, etc. I was lucky the driver was very courteous though never upset and did not want a penny extra. Most other drivers would have thrown me and my belongings out of the car after 1 hour.

Edited by at15

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

All seems so stupid.

From anywhere go to MRT, Bts, then Airport link. You may not be a newbie but you made a newbie mistake..

I have a heavy work bag, an overnight bag, and a briefcase.  The rail sucks if you have to take baggage with you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surprising, they have an awful reputation.

Been to phuket in last zillion years?

That's why I always have my gf friend wait me. Her name Avis waiting me airport.

Edited by DrJack54

i travel light, a small backpack and small piece of luggage (not heavy).  but i can be on the tollway via Rama IV in the same amount of time that it would take me to get to the BTS or MRT.  i do take the airport rail link to get into the asoke area (or the MRT if coming from DMK).  i don't encounter much traffic leaving the city but it is rare to not have traffic coming into the asoke area.  unless it is late at night and at that time taxi is the only choice.

55 minutes ago, buick said:

i often wonder if the taxi driver is offended by the passenger suggesting the route.

Not only does most taxi drivers know the best route, they also have knowledge about traffic jams, construction works etc. So sometimes you'll get surprised when they go the opposite way to what you expected.  But then, you'll get surprised how fast it actually went.

And yes, i think many of them get annoyed when a smart falang tell them what route is the best.????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forrwhat said:

I told the taxi what route to take and he went the wrong way (he was on the phone).

I always get the airport bus, around 45 minutes from the town centre.

Or BTS/MRT.

I wanted to get to MoChit from the train station last month, 300bht tuk tuk, 250bht Taxi, or 21bht MRT (Senior fare).

Edited by BritManToo

27 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Not only does most taxi drivers know the best route, they also have knowledge about traffic jams, construction works etc.

Google maps, it has traffic data in realtime, and tells you the journey time for your destination as you travel.

No need for a cabbie and his local knowledge.

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Bangkok taxi drivers?

Yes, during the 20years i been in Bangkok, i've never experienced something like op.  Had lots of altercations though, about them driving like maniacs, or refusing to go to a particular destination. Got a car now, mainly safe reasons because i got 2 kids. But when i go to the airport, 3-4 times per year,  i always take a cab, sit in the front seat with seat belt and have a conversation in thai, to make sure he's awake.