Private hospital in Bangkok lists Thai only price on website

orchidlady

I was checking prices/services offered from private hospitals in Bangkok for total knee replacement surgery, mostly to add questions to my list about specialized care after surgery services common in the west but not maybe here, for an upcoming consult with some orthopedic doctors. Was shocked to see at the bottom that one hospital with multiple locations openly states the price of 260,000 baht was only for Thai patients.  from the website:

"...Such price is for Thai people only.

From 1 January - 31 December 2019"

Shocked that they would openly advertise that in the English language version of their website. Going to ask a Thai lawyer if this is even legal.

Nothing unusual in a special price being available to Thai only - happens everywhere here.  Hotels have been doing it for decades - and sometimes the Thai price is higher (they want the foreigners to spend money at overpriced facilities).

image.jpeg.1b5bb6c53b32fa754d6ff71105b1890d.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you have 30,000 baht to waste on a consultation with a Thai lawyer, I suppose it's your money to do with whatever you want.

I have never paid anything for initial consultations with Thai lawyers. Only if one engages them to do something does one pay.

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

Hmm....how is it in the UK ?

Does anybody from wherever in the world get the same deal as a UK national fully paid up with NHS contributions ?

Just asking like.

All I know for Holland is that the prices are always the same and people without insurance / homeless / foreigners will always get treatment right away as that is a human right in International law (for what International law is worth knowing what happens elsewhere). 

10 minutes ago, tabarin said:

All I know for Holland is that the prices are always the same and people without insurance / homeless / foreigners will always get treatment right away as that is a human right in International law (for what International law is worth knowing what happens elsewhere). 

Interesting. When my Thai wife went to the UK and had cause to see a doctor , I had to pay for her visit whereas for me it would have been free. Of course , we were on holiday and she had no NHS number.

Where can I find this international law?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Does anybody from wherever in the world get the same deal as a UK national fully paid up with NHS contributions ?

Just asking like.

I read that if I return to UK having been here a few years, I must pay 150% of the NHS cost for anything other than emergency.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I read that if I return to UK having been here a few years, I must pay 150% of the NHS cost for anything other than emergency.

Only if you tell them you have been away a few years.

Makes sense to keep a foot in the door by telling them nothing of your travels.

45 minutes ago, Denim said:

Only if you tell them you have been away a few years.

Makes sense to keep a foot in the door by telling them nothing of your travels.

True. If I turn up at hospital with an imminent heart attack or terminal piles, will the first thing they ask, 'Can I see your Passport'

Answer.........'What Passport?'  lol

Please do not post "troll" accusations. Posts removed.

OP is a longtime member and not a troll.

it is quite common for hospital website promotions to specify applicability to Thais only, expats only etc.

The site she refers to is here, in Thai

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/th/fixed-pricing-thai-and-expert-hip-and-knee

If you switch to English language the prices change and the text then says applicable to expats only

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Uh, no it's not.  It doesn't include the text that she quoted "Such price is for Thai people only".

Of course, she could be (deliberately?) misquoting.

Actually it says exactly that using Google Translate of the Thai page.

image.jpeg.cba7b6f21e1ac56b250eeb542da5ff92.jpeg

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it says exactly that using Google Translate of the Thai page.

image.jpeg.cba7b6f21e1ac56b250eeb542da5ff92.jpeg

Interesting.  However, the OP also wrote "From 1 January - 31 December 2019".  That's not what Google Translate gives you.

She also stated "Shocked that they would openly advertise that in the English language version of their website."  (I.e. no Google Translate required.)

Unless the OP returns and gives a link to the actual page which states what she is claiming I for one will remain deeply skeptical.

I'd also be curious to know how Sheryl (for whom I have great respect) was able to go from a random statement with no supporting evidence to identifying Bangkok Hospital given that the phrase does not show up on Google.  Was there some sort of private communication?

21 hours ago, tabarin said:

Holland is a fair and equitable country though. and not known to be anything else  

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

True. If I turn up at hospital with an imminent heart attack or terminal piles, will the first thing they ask, 'Can I see your Passport'

Answer.........'What Passport?'  lol

Terminal piles, how unattractive, and from which medical service were diagnosed??:) 

On 2/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, Sheryl said:

Double tier pricing is very common in Thai private hospitals and even in some government hospitals (especially those located in areas with many foreigners).

There is no law against it.

Sheryl, how prevalent is dual pricing among the major private hospitals? Since the op is concerning Bangkok Hospital, can we assume the same policy applies at all BDMS hospitals?

Are their any major players that definitely don't apply different pricing based on whether the patient is a foreigner or a Thai?

The doctor's fee at Bumrungrad is up to the doctor.

The doctors fee is not necessarily expensive for Thais, may be half the price I pay. So outpatient treatment may be not more than Vejthani or even your average neighborhood clinic, if they buy the medicine outside of the hospital. 

Most lower class or lower middle class Thais would never dare to go to Bumrungrad. The ones that I sent there never found it much more expensive than what they were used to. I am talking about outpatient visits. 

Samitivej, on the other hand,  was very expensive for Thais. Same price as for foreigners. 

Bangkok Hospitals are very expensive for Thais too. Their pricing is a bit complicated,  but not everything is cheaper for Thais than for foreigners.  

On 2/22/2019 at 10:05 PM, Denim said:

Just asking like.

I don't know about the UK but in the US, foreign patients pay full rack rate on just about everything whereas US residents pay mostly discounted rates through insurance and Medicare. 

Several major Boston hospitals nearly went bankrupt after 9/11 visa restrictions because both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait sent almost all their surgical patients to Boston, providing almost 40% of the hospitals income.  Big business.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lacessit said:

If you have 30,000 baht to waste on a consultation with a Thai lawyer, I suppose it's your money to do with whatever you want.

Suppose the Thai lawyer says it's illegal. What then? You'll go to the police?

50,000 Baht in Phuket

I'd also be curious to know how Sheryl (for whom I have great respect) was able to go from a random statement with no supporting evidence to identifying Bangkok Hospital given that the phrase does not show up on Google.  Was there some sort of private communication?

Yes, that would be interesting to know, they probably know each other.

Archived