An open and shut case for Mazda lovers

rooster59

An open and shut case for Mazda lovers

By Kingsley Wijayasinha 
The Nation Weekend

8cd2186a7a4506dca19ced441aa03eca-sld.jpeg

Retractable Fastback version of the MX-5, replacing the soft-top offering, will add more fans to a series that is basking in its own aura in Thailand

The Mazda MX-5, the world’s best-selling open-top sports car, has long been the symbol for fun and freedom, and the fourth generation now comes with a Retractable Fastback (RF) version.

In Thailand the fourth-gen MX-5 was introduced back in 2016 with the soft top version, which was replaced by the RF last year.

Mazda says that there are few customers for the canvas-back MX-5 as customers prefer the RF, which opens and closes within 13 seconds (unfortunately only at speeds not over 10km/h).

The electrically powered retractable hardtop consists of front-, middle- and rear-roof sections and the rear window glass panel. When open, the rear roof remains on the body while the other parts are stowed neatly in the space behind the seats. 

Apart from the roof, there’s not much difference when compared to the ragtop, except for the transmission.

While the soft top was offered only with automatic transmission, the RF now has a manual gearbox version as well. It turns out that there have been customer requests for the manual, which shows that there are still people out there who enjoy driving the classic way.

So when distributor Mazda Sales (Thailand) Co Ltd organised a test drive for the MX-5 RF from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi last week, I pounced on the six-speed manual version, leaving others surprised as they prefer the lazy automatic.

Compared to the older-generation MX-5, the current model offers the highest level of refinement, both in terms of design as well as handling. It’s nowhere as raw as the first-gen car, but this would help make it appeal to a wider group of audience. After all, not all MX-5 owners are driving experts.

The MX-5 is a tiny sports car measuring 3.9 metres in length, and you must see the real thing to realise how small it is.

Nevertheless the new model is larger inside, and tall/large occupants have nothing to complain about except for the pedal positioning. There’s not much space in the trunk either – we couldn’t fit golf bags in there.

In the manual version, there isn’t enough space to put all three pedals in a linear fashion, and the driver finds them positioned towards to right side. This means the clutch is located where the brake pedal used to be and the accelerator is further right next to the front right wheel. The seats are positioned close to the ground, and getting in and out may require a small push for elders like me. Steering wheel position is better, since the telescoping reach adjustment has been added.

It takes a little time to get used to the driving position in the MX-5, but once you’re through, it’s time to rock and roll.

The 2.0-litre SKYACTIV engine has been tweaked to pump out 184 horsepower (up dramatically from 160 horsepower in the previous model) and 205 Nm (up from 200Nm), and the engine revs up to 7,500 (compared to 6,800rpm) for maximum excitement.

The six-speed manual gearbox is a little tough at low speeds and you need to shift rather slowly. But accelerate and keep the revs up high, and shifting becomes much slicker and quicker.

The gear ratio is super direct (1:1 in sixth gear) and the throttle is super lively. Whenever you apply pressure to the gas pedal the car responds without hesitation.

The only setback for me was the engine sound, which was pretty much boring like the standard Mazda3. A roadster like the MX-5, in my opinion, deserves a much sportier and livelier note that this. They should even have retarded combustion for engine backfires during gear changes like European sports cars - I think that’ll be fun.

Meanwhile, what is still strong, though, is the driving performance.

The weight distribution, steering precision and chassis of the MX-5 teams up to produce an addictive driving character.

The car feels light and agile, giving the driver loads of confidence. The steering provides a direct feel, and the 205/45 sports tyres on 17-inch black metallic wheels offer plenty of grip without much relaying much harshness from the road.

Take it to the track and the MX-5 can deliver thrills too. It is not difficult to get the rear wheels sliding, but more impressive is how easily the driver can catch the oversteer and get the car back into a straight line.

The suspension also takes up shock and vibration better than older models, offering a higher level of ride comfort. At cruising speeds, you can hardly hear the engine running – the hardtop also contributes to a quitter cabin.

Apart from the usual packaging, there are also a few new safety features such as Smart City Brake Support (automatic braking from 4-80km/h) and Driver Attention Alert.

The Mazda MX-5 RF, priced at Bt2.89 million, has a few competitors in its price range, such as the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (and even the Audi TT that’s priced not far above), but there’s always that strange aura with the Mazda that makes a strong following.

Mazda MX-5 RF 2.0 6MT specs

Engine: 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve

Displacement: 1,998cc

Bore and stroke: 83.5x91.2mm

Compression ratio: 13.0:1

Max power: 184ps/7,000rpm

Max torque: 205Nm/4,000rpm

Transmission: manual

Ratio: 5.087/2.991/2.035/1.594/1,286/1.000

Final drive ratio: 2.866

Average fuel economy: 14.9km/litre

City: 11.7km/litre

Highway: 17.8km/litre

Average CO2: 158g/km

Suspension (f/r): double wishbone/multi-link

Steering: powered rack-and-pinion

Turning circle: 9.4 metres

Brakes (f/r): vented disc/disc

Dimensions (mm)

Length: 3,915

Width: 1,735

Height: 1,235

Wheelbase: 2,310

Track (f/r): 1,495/1,505

Weight: 1,113 kgs

Wheels: 17-inch alloys 

Tyres: 205/45 ZR17

Fuel tank capacity: 45 litres

Price: Bt2.89 million

Distributor: Toyota Motor Thailand Co Ltd

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Auto_ADO/30364574

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-23

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Nearly 3 million baht, Jeebus!!!!!!!!!

Seems to be a 100% import.

And for that price you could get a prestigious label like small BMW or Merc assembled in Thailand (or four small Mazda 2 from Thailand).

Must be a very special fan-base that spends almost 3 mill on a Mazda.

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

I have owned a couple of them....fun car, but that price is absurd. A Subaru Forester here is $10,000 more than America......how can they justify this price gouging?

It's the absurd import taxes.

Subaru Forester surely not built in Thailand.

do you think they have a good/reliable fuel injection pump? my 7 months old CX 5 fuel pump just went to the garbage and it's taking 3 weeks to get a new one from Japan, unbelievable in all Thailand there's not a single fuel pump available

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

do you think they have a good/reliable fuel injection pump? my 7 months old CX 5 fuel pump just went to the garbage and it's taking 3 weeks to get a new one from Japan, unbelievable in all Thailand there's not a single fuel pump available

Perhaps an item that "never" packs up.....Perhaps you were very unlucky...????

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Mazda is building a very good reputation in Australia. Hondas and Toyotas are considered better in Thailand. Does Thailand have any informed motoring writers, or have I just used an oxymoron?

Building? I would have thought Mazda has been a well respected brand in Oz for many years, in fact since 1964.

56 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps an item that "never" packs up.....Perhaps you were very unlucky...????

that's what the dealer said but it didn't make me feel any better..... am still without the car

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Building? I would have thought Mazda has been a well respected brand in Oz for many years, in fact since 1964.

Depends on what criteria you apply. My understanding is from about 2015 onwards, Mazda has got to the top of the tree in terms of reputation, among buyers and motoring writers.

1964 is drawing a bit of a long bow. From memory, Toyota hadn't even made the first Corolla then. I can remember Datsuns from then, but not Mazda.

Amazing how many experts on thaivisa do not realise not all Thai are minimum wage workers , and rich Thai make western rich look poor.

thai will spend 6 million on a car and 2 million on a house, because car is sign of prestige and face ie standing in society .

fact that it’s 1/3 in your home country is totally irrelevant because no one going to go there buy and bring it back.

no other car maker has a hard top convirtable sports car for 3 million, Benz or bmw is pushing 6-7 million .

call it poor mans rich car if you wish.

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

Amazing how many experts on thaivisa do not realise not all Thai are minimum wage workers , and rich Thai make western rich look poor.

That's the stuff that leads to revolutions.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

thai will spend 6 million on a car and 2 million on a house, because car is sign of prestige and face ie standing in society .

fact that it’s 1/3 in your home country is totally irrelevant because no one going to go there buy and bring it back.

no other car maker has a hard top convirtable sports car for 3 million, Benz or bmw is pushing 6-7 million .

Not only Thai buy expensive car and cheap house, most all SE Asia countries do, China is on top they beat Thais by far, they live in a shed but drive Ferraris, Benz, Lamborghinis etc

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Depends on what criteria you apply. My understanding is from about 2015 onwards, Mazda has got to the top of the tree in terms of reputation, among buyers and motoring writers.

1964 is drawing a bit of a long bow. From memory, Toyota hadn't even made the first Corolla then. I can remember Datsuns from then, but not Mazda.

According to Google that was the first year Mazdas were imported into Oz, and in fact I can remember a guy I worked with buying one around that time. Nissans had already been imported even earlier starting with the Nissan Cedric.

14 hours ago, BestB said:

The closest Benz to this - a hard top 2 seater roadster convertible, is the SLC 300, which is around 4 million.  You can get a low mileage used one, still under warranty, for around the price of the Mazda.  Each to his own opinion, but in mine, the Benz is a better looking car, both inside and out, has an extra 60 HP, and has more carrying space.  Also, while not affecting my decision, but no doubt playing a big part in many potential customer's, the Benz name carries far more 'face' than Mazda.

16 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The closest Benz to this - a hard top 2 seater roadster convertible, is the SLC 300, which is around 4 million.  You can get a low mileage used one, still under warranty, for around the price of the Mazda.  Each to his own opinion, but in mine, the Benz is a better looking car, both inside and out, has an extra 60 HP, and has more carrying space.  Also, while not affecting my decision, but no doubt playing a big part in many potential customer's, the Benz name carries far more 'face' than Mazda.

Indeed Portugal uses them as Taxies.!. Face is a Thai thing, my BM is about the same as a Civic RS in Europe, much the same price, and will get the new top Civic at next big Face lift. Variatey is the spice of life. You do it cause U CAN.!

On February 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM, ballpoint said:

Not to me. In Singapore in 1963 they were taxis/buses with a chicken and a goat etc. we would take one from the dockyard into the city for a Singapore dollar which was about two shillings. 

Archived