Info on Bangkok Bank Confirming Incoming Monthly Foreign Transfers

Back in post #10 I gave an interim report on trying to get the international remittance letter and/or Credit Advice for some an ACH transfer and several Transferwise transfer over the last 12 months.  First attempt was at a large full service Bangkok Bank bank here in western Bangkok....the bank told me I must go to my home branch which in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.   Ok, on the way back home I decided to stop at mall and check out the small Bangkok Bank branch there....once again I was told I must contact my home branch.

Today I was at another mall here in western Bankgok and I figure I would try the small Bangkok Bank branch in that mall.  But I decided I would only ask for one Credit Advice on a Transferwise transfer in late Jan 19...it was coded as FTT/International transfer in my passbook/ibanking. 

Took about 30 seconds to get the point across and saying Credit Advice several times then one of the reps knew exactly what I was asking for.  However, they could not give it to me but they did call my home branch, talked to them, then let me talk to them, and the end result was my home branch then faxed the Credit Advice to the branch I was at....took a total of about 20 minutes but I got it.  No charge.

Now the Bangkok Bank Credit Advice was nothing like the Credit Advice like Sheryl posted in some related threads....her credit advice was for a SWIFT transfer...and her Credit Advice was a full page report showing sending bank, intermediary bank, and receiving bank....dollar amount sent....baht amount posted.  But the Bangkok Bank Credit Advice for this "Transferwise transfer" was only a half page....never showed any foreign banks in the chain, only reflected me as the sender with my US address I have on file with Transferwise, did not reflect any USD amount...only the baht amount sent as Transferwise converts to/sends baht.   

I would post a copy but I would need to redact so much it probably would lose a lot for description purposes....plus it's a fax copy and a little hard to read so the scan would probably look even worst. 

But I'm sure the banking jibberish on it would just make an immigration officer throw it back at me....and maybe say it only shows my name, my US address and X-amount of baht deposited into my Bangkok Bank account.  Shows nothing about being sent by US bank so & so, original USD amount, maybe going thru an intermediary bank so & so, and then posting to by Silom branch with address so & so.  Of course it's a Transferwise transfer that is really all local so that why it doesn't show in US bank info.  I figure useless for immigration extension purposes.

Over the coming week or so I still plan to visit my home branch to ask for a Credit Advice on the one "ACH" transfer I did to see it gives more info compared to a Transferwise transfer and that Remittanace letter that supposedly show all incoming international transfers with codes.  Maybe the Remittance Letter would be more convincing at least for Transferwise transfers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Back in post #10 I gave an interim report on trying to get the international remittance letter and/or Credit Advice for some an ACH transfer and several Transferwise transfer over the last 12 months.  First attempt was at a large full service Bangkok Bank bank here in western Bangkok....the bank told me I must go to my home branch which in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.   Ok, on the way back home I decided to stop at mall and check out the small Bangkok Bank branch there....once again I was told I must contact my home branch.

Today I was at another mall here in western Bankgok and I figure I would try the small Bangkok Bank branch in that mall.  But I decided I would only ask for one Credit Advice on a Transferwise transfer in late Jan 19...it was coded as FTT/International transfer in my passbook/ibanking. 

Took about 30 seconds to get the point across and saying Credit Advice several times then one of the reps knew exactly what I was asking for.  However, they could not give it to me but they did call my home branch, talked to them, then let me talk to them, and the end result was my home branch then faxed the Credit Advice to the branch I was at....took a total of about 20 minutes but I got it.  No charge.

Now the Bangkok Bank Credit Advice was nothing like the Credit Advice like Sheryl posted in some related threads....her credit advice was for a SWIFT transfer...and her Credit Advice was a full page report showing sending bank, intermediary bank, and receiving bank....dollar amount sent....baht amount posted.  But the Bangkok Bank Credit Advice for this "Transferwise transfer" was only a half page....never showed any foreign banks in the chain, only reflected me as the sender with my US address I have on file with Transferwise, did not reflect any USD amount...only the baht amount sent as Transferwise converts to/sends baht.   

I would post a copy but I would need to redact so much it probably would lose a lot for description purposes....plus it's a fax copy and a little hard to read so the scan would probably look even worst. 

But I'm sure the banking jibberish on it would just make an immigration officer throw it back at me....and maybe say it only shows my name, my US address and X-amount of baht deposited into my Bangkok Bank account.  Shows nothing about being sent by US bank so & so, original USD amount, maybe going thru an intermediary bank so & so, and then posting to by Silom branch with address so & so.  Of course it's a Transferwise transfer that is really all local so that why it doesn't show in US bank info.  I figure useless for immigration extension purposes.

Over the coming week or so I still plan to visit my home branch to ask for a Credit Advice on the one "ACH" transfer I did to see it gives more info compared to a Transferwise transfer and that Remittanace letter that supposedly show all incoming international transfers with codes.  Maybe the Remittance Letter would be more convincing at least for Transferwise transfers.

I definitely would not ask for or use a credit advice for any transferwise transfers.

I would just use the bank statements that are coded FTT at that is what IM says it's acceptable.

Showing a credit advice would only open a can of worms in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For me, the most surprising thing about all that I recounted above was the part of #1, wherein at least according to this BKKB staffer, they thus far have received no info from the BKKB HQ re the new Immigration rule relating to monthly foreign deposits, and certainly have not received any letter format from BKK HQ that would show the branch how to meet the documentation necessary for this new Immigration requirement.

As usual with Thai banks and banking, YMMV from bank company to company, and even from branch to branch.

It don't surprise me at all.  Just because a few posters have indicated their immigration office said HQ Immigration is working with banks for a new type letter or just go get letter titled so & so was probably fake news (wishful thinking) from the immigration office...or the immigration office was just expressing the type of letter they expect to receive--that is, I expect to receive a letter/statement just showing international transfers for the past 12 months....don't show me some statement a mile long with domestic and international transactions intermixed or a bunch of foreign bank/money transfer service docs.    And/or maybe the English-Thai miscommunications thingie that happens frequently.   

Edited by Pib

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

It don't surprise me at all.  Just because a few posters have indicated their immigration office said HQ Immigration is working with banks for a new type letter or just go get letter titled so & so was probably fake news (wishful thinking) from the immigration office...or the immigration office was just expressing the type of letter they expect to receive--that is, I expect to receive a letter/statement just showing international transfers for the past 12 months....don't show me some statement a mile long with domestic and international transactions intermixed or a bunch of foreign bank/money transfer service docs.    And/or maybe the English-Thai miscommunications thingie that happens frequently.   

I believe, if memory serves, one of those past posters you refer to above was someone who claimed to have gone down to the BKKB HQ in Silom and spoken directly with some supervisor in the international transfers area... But hey, who knows.... I only made a trip to my local branch. But I would be interested to hear what the folks at BKKB HQ are saying on the same subject, i.e., how the branches are supposed to document the 65K monthly transfers for Immigration's satisfaction.

There also was, again, if memory serves, a past news report where BJ or someone senior in Immigration claimed they were working with all the Thai banks on some form of letter or other documentation to address the 65K monthly foreign transfers issue. Again, who knows...  What they say, and what they do, often are entirely disconnected.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

BJ also said/implied he was going to implement a 10 year retirement extension of stay (not to be confused with the current 10 retirement "visa") and also do away with 90 day reporting.  I'm not holding my breath.   Everything he has done so far has just tightened-up the extension system....making it harder on many folks.  

• Like 1

Pib I'm not sure that this wouldn't suffice given it shows you at US address as sender.

In a case like this as an added precaution could show the Credit Advice to the bank and ask them to include a paragraph in their letter stating you made transfers from abroad as follows (list date & amount).

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Also wondering how using the service offered by BB for transfers from UK will show. The service is that you transfer online within the UK from UK bank to BBL London in GBP quoting your Thai BBL account number, they for a £10 fee then credit your Thai account with them at the exchange rate of the day. No BBL London account needed

You might want to check that again Jo as I have had very recent confirmation from Bangkok bank in London, the same service that you posted about, that for it to show as an international transfer they have to send it in pounds and it is converted to baht in Thailand.

For that they charge £20 at the London end and a fee of anything between 200 and 500 baht at the Thailand end, and in my book that is a hefty fee for my small part-pension. If they convert it to baht in the UK, then the fee is £15 and not sure about any deductions at the Thailand end.

I believe, if memory serves, one of those past posters you refer to above was someone who claimed to have gone down to the BKKB HQ in Silom and spoken directly with some supervisor in the international transfers area... But hey, who knows.... I only made a trip to my local branch. But I would be interested to hear what the folks at BKKB HQ are saying on the same subject, i.e., how the branches are supposed to document the 65K monthly transfers for Immigration's satisfaction.

There also was, again, if memory serves, a past news report where BJ or someone senior in Immigration claimed they were working with all the Thai banks on some form of letter or other documentation to address the 65K monthly foreign transfers issue. Again, who knows...  What they say, and what they do, often are entirely disconnected.

Problem is, they would be working with bank HQs.

It is not only TI that does not communicate effectively with their branch offices. Seems to be endemic here among virtually all institutions.

I foresee a lot of phone calls to bank HQ in our futures when local bank branches have no idea....

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In a case like this as an added precaution could show the Credit Advice to the bank and ask them to include a paragraph in their letter stating you made transfers from abroad as follows (list date & amount).

I figure the typical bank rep that prepares the letter pulls up the standard format letter within their computer system, prints it out, and signs it.  Now asking them to make a special letter to address your situation....trying to explain what is needed...is probably going to be met with a Deer in the Headlights look....or No Can Do response.  Sure, I expect some branches may do it, but I figure getting most branches to do it will be a challenge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

2. She did say, she could MAKE UP by herself a letter to Immigration that would summarize past credit advice

Actually this may be a good thing as you can negotiate any domestic vs foreign coding problems with the bank and not immigration.

Edited by sfokevin

3 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Actually this may be a good thing as you can negotiate any domestic vs foreign coding problems with the bank and not immigration.

I didn't even try to get into a discussion with her re all the variables relating to BKKB's handling of Transferwise sent xfers....  I'll save that one, for another day.... :tongue:

• Haha 1

There is absolutely no need to fret about whether immigration will accept a particular code in the bank account book as referring to money coming from abroad. With the new procedure, immigration is not interested in these codes, only in what the bank letter says and for an inward SWIFT remittance, the Thai bank knows exactly where the remittance originated and will include it correctly in the bank letter.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

There is absolutely no need to fret about whether immigration will accept a particular code in the bank account book as referring to money coming from abroad. With the new procedure, immigration is not interested in these codes, only in what the bank letter says and for an inward SWIFT remittance, the Thai bank knows exactly where the remittance originated and will include it correctly in the bank letter.

But everyone does not use SWIFT....some use ACH...some use money transfer services...and these various methods can cause different coding, to include coding that appears as domestic versus international.

12 minutes ago, Maestro said:

There is absolutely no need to fret about whether immigration will accept a particular code in the bank account book as referring to money coming from abroad.

With the new procedure, immigration is not interested in these codes, only in what the bank letter says and for an inward SWIFT remittance, the Thai bank knows exactly where the remittance originated and will include it correctly in the bank letter.

The issue of bank passbook coding isn't what I, at least, have been talking about. I'm talking about the supposedly accompanying bank letter that's somehow supposed to confirm or document the monthly foreign transfers -- except, at least at my BKKB branch, they know nothing about the monthly transfers rule nor any letter to support those.

And beyond that, given the fees associated with traditional SWIFT international wires, a lot of folks here are looking at other more economical methods like Transferwise and others similar for doing the monthly transfers. And the documentation or certification of those kinds of transfers is a whole lot less clear vs traditional wires.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If you already have an account and transfers showing them as a international transfer it should not be all the complicated.

In my case I already have years of transfers going into my Bangkok bank account showing the FTT code for international transfers.

I don't think immigration will not want to see anything more than the standard letter they do now do for the account that has the 800k or 400k baht in it. I think people are reading a lot more into what the order says about the letter. And then copies of a bank book showing the funds coming in or bank statements.

The complication at some banks may be the vague codes they use to show international transfers.

The change makes it easier for me since I do not need to make the annual trip to the embassy in Bangkok and pay for a income affidavit.

And in your case I think you are talking your US govt payments in ACH IAT format routed thru Bangkok Bank NY to your Bangkok Bank account.  Yeap, those show up as international transfers. 

But for other folks....more and more who are using money transfer services like Transferwise the coding is frequently being shown as domestic transfers.   And even some folks who use SWIFT or ACH when the the Thai bank head office relays the funds to the individual branch in Nakhon Nowhere the coding can end up as a domestic transfer.   Never an issue or concern before with this coding....but now coding is important for any immigration office that will want to see "international transfer" coding.   Time will tell as to what each immigration office expects to see/will accept.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think immigration will not want to see anything more than the standard letter they do now do for the account that has the 800k or 400k baht in it.

Except we're talking about a Thai bank letter to support 12 monthly foreign transfers, not a letter merely to confirm ownership and balance in an account.

The Thai banks have been issuing the bank account ownership and balance letters for Immigration for a long time, so they pretty much know what to do with those.  But for the monthly transfers, at least in some cases, they have absolutely no clue or instructions from their head office. That's not good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

And even some folks who use SWIFT or ACH when the the Thai bank head office relays the funds to the individual branch in Nakhon Nowhere the coding can end up as a domestic transfer. 

I think most banks are set up that when the international transfer arrives it is directly credited to the account as a international transfer not as a domestic transfer as if it was coming from another account. That is how Bangkok bank does all of the international transfers it receives.

I think the problem comes into play when the transfer is sent to a intermediate bank here instead of directly to the bank the account is at.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think most banks are set up that when the international transfer arrives it is directly credited to the account as a international transfer not as a domestic transfer as if it was coming from another account. That is how Bangkok bank does all of the international transfers it receives.

I think the problem comes into play when the transfer is sent to a intermediate bank here instead of directly to the bank the account is at.

Yeap...that could definitely be "the" or just "one of the reasons" why this sometimes happens. 

3 hours ago, Pib said:

But everyone does not use SWIFT....some use ACH...some use money transfer services...and these various methods can cause different coding, to include coding that appears as domestic versus international.

It is the OP who wrote that he is using SWIFT for all his inbound remittances, which makes this a topic about SWIFT remittances to a Bangkok Bank account.

The specifics of non-SWIFT remittances merit a separate topic and if there is not already one about it, somebody should start it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except we're talking about a Thai bank letter to support 12 monthly foreign transfers, not a letter merely to confirm ownership and balance in an account.

But I see nothing in the rules that states that is required. That is only what some people think is needed.

The rule mentions the letter and then bank a statement to prove the transfers.

56 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But I see nothing in the rules that states that is required. That is only what some people think is needed.

The rule mentions the letter and then bank a statement to prove the transfers.

I think some of us are struggling to understand what documentation Immigration might require when using the monthly income method, and what documentation our banks may need to provide. Then we need to layer on the timing (same-day, one day, five days?) of the 'official' bank document(s). And of course, account for variations in specific banks, branches, Immigrations offices and interpretations of "leniency" during this, the first transition year.

Personally, I don't think passbooks, and copies of them will be enough, even when accompanied by some bank letter. I'm guessing we'll need some sort of official bank statement, with multiple stamps and signatures, covering the previous period (12 months in year 2, some number of fewer months in year 1). But until some level of first-hand experience is built up here we're all a bit in the dark, and hence the questions.

I'm not certain that it is valid to compare the 400/800 method 'documentation' with the 40/65 method documentation given the lack of historical perspectives?

That said, the new requirements for the 400/800 method to remain stagnant for four/five/ six months, and not drop below some minimum during the other remaining months may lead to new forms of supporting documentation for that method as well?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Then we need to layer on the timing (same-day, one day, five days?) of the 'official' bank document(s). And of course, account for variations in specific banks, branches, Immigrations offices and interpretations of "leniency" during this, the first transition year.

I cannot see that the letter from the bank would be needed on the same day or within any time frame other than after your most recent transfer since you are not proving a balance in the bank like you need for the xxx amount in the bank.

My extension is not due until August and I will be able to provide over 12 months of international transfers in July. I still have plenty of time to wait and see and to ask my local office about it.

27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Personally, I don't think passbooks, and copies of them will be enough, even when accompanied by some bank letter. I'm guessing we'll need some sort of official bank statement, with multiple stamps and signatures, covering the previous period (12 months in year 2, some number of fewer months in year 1). But until some level of first-hand experience is built up here we're all a bit in the dark, and hence the questions.

I cannot see why a bank book or books would not be accepted if they have been updated to show every month of transfers since they are accepted for the money in the bank option. The only reason for the statements would be if the bank book does not show them. Not sure what you mean by multiple stamps and signatures.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot see

Yes, agreed. Your point(s) are valid and make sense, and hopefully, these hold up.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I cannot see why a bank book or books would not be accepted

In my case, shoddy kiosk printers have failed to clearly detail each line, due to over-printing and lack of ink. I no longer update my passbook at the kiosk printer.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean by multiple stamps and signatures.

This merely describes the process to obtain documentation.

At BBL, for me to get a new passbook, the process takes about 15 minutes, copies have to be made, then at least three signatures from me, and two from the rep.. There is also endless stamping, and keystroking. I imagine getting acceptable documentation will require a similar process, but maybe I will be proven wrong?

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

In my case, shoddy kiosk printers have failed to clearly detail each line, due to over-printing and lack of ink. I no longer update my passbook at the kiosk printer.

I have a special account for my transfers to come into that requires me to go to the bank in person to move my funds to another account. So no need to use the update machine.

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

At BBL, for me to get a new passbook, the process takes about 15 minutes, copies have to be made, then at least three signatures from me, and two from the rep..

Due to what I mentioned above the bank book I transfer my monthly income into gets full quickly so I have to go through the routine fairly regularly. No sure it takes 15 minutes to do it I think about 5 minutes or less for them to do it.

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

It is the OP who wrote that he is using SWIFT for all his inbound remittances, which makes this a topic about SWIFT remittances to a Bangkok Bank account.

The specifics of non-SWIFT remittances merit a separate topic and if there is not already one about it, somebody should start it.

Bangkok Bank uses the same international transfer code of "FTT meaning Foreign Telegraphic Transfer whether the transfer is actually or "considered" a foreign transfer whether SWIFT, ACH, or Transferwise transfers using Bangkok Bank as its partner bank....or I expect any other country specific transfer system like the UK BACS used by Bangkok Bank London.   I say "considered" since Transferwise transfers are actually local transfers unlike SWIFT and ACH transfers, but Bangkok Bank still codes them FTT if Bangkok Bank is used as the partner bank to relay into another Bangkok Bank account keeping it an internal Bangkok Bank final leg transfer.