Pattaya wants new garbage hauler, but no one applies

Rimmer

Pattaya wants new garbage hauler, but no one applies

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya hopes to have a new company picking up garbage around the city March 1, ending a long-running problem with old trucks leaving behind a snail’s train of smelly wastewater in their wake.

Somjai Attapol, who runs a food stall on Soi Paniadchang, was the latest resident to file a complaint to city hall about garbage trucks spilling noxious liquid as they make their way down the street every day.

She said the smell is so bad, it cannot be washed away. She scrubs the snail trail with bathroom cleaner to keep her restaurant area smelling nice.

Pattaya Deputy Mayor Manote Nongyai noted the problem is not a new one. For years on end, people have complained about the water discharge from trucks, a result of the longtime contractor failing to properly maintain its vehicles.

Every few years the contractor’s contract comes up for renewal and Pattaya has been unable to find another company to take its business.

The contract ends again Feb. 28, Manote said, and the city is hopeful it will get a bid by a quality firm to replace the old trash hauler. So far, none have been accepted.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-wants-new-garbage-hauler-but-no-one-applies-247738

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-01-03--

I am no rocket scientist but I do know a little about manufacturing and service. My feeling is that if the new trucks have not been ordered yet (4-6 Months delivery) and a new service provider selected (No crews of people) a change ain't gonna be happening anytime soon. 

• Like 1

its about time they organised new rubbish collectors.

the existing ones, always leave a trail of rubbish behind them. in cosy beach area, they never clear ALL the bags from rubbish piles...

its so filthy...i cant understand why thai people cant take more pride in where they live.

if local councils paid people to pick up rubbish,  from the roadsides, im sure more visitors would come to pattaya...this would pay for extra cost of cleaning up..

its such a disgrace, im embarrased when i have overseas visitors...

Used the same company in my gated estate. The biggest problem is that they would stop outside my house , put my black bags in the back, then proceed to open and root through the contents, leaving a good percentage of the contents on the road. I complained to them one day and they picked a few of the bigger pieces up but still left a mess on the road.

After many complaints to the committee, from residents, they binned the company and gave the job to a small husband and wife team using a glorified pickup. No problems since.

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Used the same company in my gated estate. The biggest problem is that they would stop outside my house , put my black bags in the back, then proceed to open and root through the contents, leaving a good percentage of the contents on the road. I complained to them one day and they picked a few of the bigger pieces up but still left a mess on the road.

After many complaints to the committee, from residents, they binned the company and gave the job to a small husband and wife team using a glorified pickup. No problems since.

this happens all the time. they make more mess than soi dogs

The walkover bridge at centre Suk intersection gets copious amounts of litter. 

I think where are the bins and where are the police fining offenders?

There is a sign that says don't litter. I'm saddened.

Need more people complaining. Good luck Thai citizens. I hope you don't give up and get a tidier environment. 

14 hours ago, Spidey said:

gave the job to a small husband and wife team using a glorified pickup.

Our moobaan has the same set-up.  Three times a week rubbish is carted away; streets swept spotless. They dump the rubbish legitimately and have the receipts to prove it.  The committee is 50% farang.  There are no roaming dogs.

• Like 2

Why not try advertising internationally there are many large well known companies with the capacity to fulfil the councils contract and also bring more innovative thinking to the table ie: recycling, composting just to name 2 new ideas. 

13 minutes ago, a977 said:

Why not try advertising internationally there are many large well known companies with the capacity to fulfil the councils contract and also bring more innovative thinking to the table ie: recycling, composting just to name 2 new ideas. 

The Thai government and, more importantly, local authorities, won't pay anywhere near the kind of money such a contractor would demand.

You do realise that most Thais pay directly to the garbage collector for the service. It's a pittance but many Thais refuse to pay even that. They prefer to load up their pickups and dump their rubbish on the nearest plot of waste land. Your scheme would just exacerbate the problem which is the primary reason that Thailand sometimes looks like a tip.