Trump suggests Cohen hearing contributed to failure of North Korea summit

webfact

54 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The article doesn't say or imply that the military will support Trump to stay in power.

Sooooo, how else would Trump stay in power- just stay in his chair and refuse to leave?

Where in the world has any president/ PM stayed in power without the backing of the military? The Guardian is just doing what the Guardian does and stirring, IMO.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, how else would Trump stay in power- just stay in his chair and refuse to leave?

Where in the world has any president/ PM stayed in power without the backing of the military? The Guardian is just doing what the Guardian does and stirring, IMO.

What a "highly intelligent" awareness/knowledge :cheesy:!!!

To name only a few countries in "the world" - not in your vivid imagination  - :

GB, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Australia .... and don't forget your own world, the USA, where the president/PM stay(s) in power "without the backing of the military".  The list goes on.

3 minutes ago, puck2 said:

What a "highly intelligent" awareness/knowledge :cheesy:!!!

To name only a few countries in "the world" - not in your vivid imagination  - :

GB, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Australia .... and don't forget your own world, the USA, where the president/PM stay(s) in power "without the backing of the military".  The list goes on.

I believe you may have misunstood the chain of postings. That happens sometimes when posts get removed and therefore context.

• Like 1

Of course blame for the collapse of the VN summit can be squarely put at the feet of the Democrats who chose the timing to have Cohen regurgitate his lies once more. 

Shabby political theater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Boon Mee said:

Of course blame for the collapse of the VN summit can be squarely put at the feet of the Democrats who chose the timing to have Cohen regurgitate his lies once more. 

Shabby political theater. 

What does one have to do with the other?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be a tad contrarian here and suggest that it would have been better if the Cohen testimony had been delayed one day so as not to coincide with the Hanoi so called summit. The 45 excuse is pathetic as usual but I don't see a reason to give him ammunition for any kind of excuse. Politically speaking. 

11 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

There is no excuse. Period. There is no nexus or connection of any sort between Cohen testifying and Trump being prepared and ready to produce results in a summit on the other side of the world regarding completely unrelated subject matter. What is the angle? Little rocket man was so disturbed by the Cohen testimony that he refused to deal? 

Well, I watch right wing media just to know what they're up to and they squawked quite a bit about the democrat's timing for the Cohen testimony. Remember, 45 does not (yet) control the media but certain right wing media (Fox and Friends, Rush) feed him messages which he then directly adopts. Again, did they absolutely need to do it on the same day? Why give the "trump" fans any ammunition at all if it can be easily avoided? In any case, water under the bridge.

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm going to be a tad contrarian here and suggest that it would have been better if the Cohen testimony had been delayed one day so as not to coincide with the Hanoi so called summit. The 45 excuse is pathetic as usual but I don't see a reason to give him ammunition for any kind of excuse. Politically speaking. 

With all due respect that's silly and just plays into a bullshit narrative.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"For the Democrats to interview in open hearings a convicted liar & fraudster,

The only difference between Cohen and Trump in that regard is Cohen has been convicted, and Trump hasn't been yet.

Of course, it continues to always amaze me that Trump can go out and make these kinds of public statements about a guy HE hired and retained as his personal attorney for many many years...  and the news articles don't even explicitly mention that point.

So Trump must have seen something in Cohen's performance and character all those years that he could appreciate. Birds of a feather and all...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

You know very well that Trump has an excuse for anything and everything.  Most of it is BS, but his idiot base will believe it.  So even if Cohen hadn't testified at that particular time, Trump would have blamed the Democrats, Obama, Hillary, Mueller....just put a name in there. 

That is obviously true, but I still think it would have been better to not feed him this particular excuse. Take that for what it's worth, if you think nothing, fine. 

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That assumes there’s even an iota of good faith in the excuse. There isn’t. If it had been delayed, then “the potential hearing of a lying liar hanging in the air scuppered the summit” would’ve been the excuse, or “the Mueller witch hunt” or any number of things to blame on Dems/media/Rinos/whatever. 

The buck ALWAYS stops elsewhere with this guy.

• Like 2

Must be hell living in the US.The spineless reps of the Republican party have watched their party being hijacked by a self serving moron and done nothing.

Trump reminds me of a mafia head ,surround your self with "fixers" and yes men/women then watch them go down, one by one,like dominoes until you are the last one left standing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is obviously true, but I still think it would have been better to not feed him this particular excuse. Take that for what it's worth, if you think nothing, fine. 

I might agree to this if it was actually something that could be used an excuse without looking completely stupid. That wasn’t the case here; in fact, if he was fed anything, then it was another chance to show the world that he’s not only an under-achiever but also one that is incapable of owning it. 

The POTUS goes to Veitnam,the dems reschedule their Congress committee  meetings for the same three days with a confessed lair.

The POTUS goes to Buenos Aries_G20 for the world summit  the  SDNY schedules a court appearance for Cohen to admit he lied to Congress

The POTUS goes to Helsinki ,Rosenstein  has a press conference and announces 12 Russians indited ,at the same time admitting no Americans were involved!

"The timing of the announcement raised questions about whether it will impact the president's overseas diplomacy".  

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/13/trump-faces-pressure-to-confront-putin-after-mueller-indicts-12-russia.html

The timing in all of these events above have impacted overseas diplomacy! 

President Trump- "Shame!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you're basically admitting that you can't think of any other way of Trump staying in power except by using the military and then using your own lack of imagination to claim that the article was saying something that it actually didn't do.

And the article wasn't written by anyone on the Guardian's staff of writers, it was penned by a former US Secretary of State and currently professor of public policy at the University of California at Berkeley, Robert Reich.

As to other ways Trump could try to stay in power, he's already shown no compunction in riding roughshod over the US Constitution when things aren't going the way he wants. He declared a state of emergency when by his own admission, it wasn't really an emergency, just something he wanted to do more quickly. He also claimed massive election fraud even when he won, so what makes you think he wouldn't claim massive election fraud again, and declare a national emergency if he lost?

• Thanks 1