Thai central bank says it has acted on rapid moves in baht

webfact

Thai central bank says it has acted on rapid moves in baht

2019-03-04T085908Z_1_LYNXNPEF230GY_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ECONOMY-CENBANK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The Bank of Thailand logo is pictured in Bangkok, Thailand, August 5, 2016. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's baht is likely to remain volatile and the central bank has taken action on excessive moves in the currency to help the private sector adjust, the central bank said on Monday.

The baht's strength is mainly due to a weak dollar and Thailand's current account surplus, but its price moves are in line with the currencies of emerging markets, Assistant Governor Vachira Arromdee said in a statement.

"In certain periods when the baht's rise is fast and not in line with economic fundamentals, the central bank has closely taken care of it," she said.

The baht traded at 31.80 per dollar at 0830 GMT, its lowest in almost six weeks. But it has still strengthened 2.4 percent this year, making it the second-best performing currency in Asia after the Chinese yuan. The baht hit a five-year high against the dollar on Feb. 20.

Vachira said after a meeting with a shipping group that a slowdown in Thailand's exports has been caused by external factors amid concerns about a trade war, while there has only been a small impact on shipments from currency fluctuations.

The private sector should hedge against currency risks, she added.

(Reporting by Kitiphong Thaichareon; Writing by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Jacqueline Wong)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-05

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

I have friends in the markets in U.K. who tell me they will not touch the Baht until it goes back to where it should be, which, apparently is around 65 to a pound.......

I first visited Thailand in 2001/2002 then it was 65 baht to the British pound (GBP)

When I moved here in 2008 it was 55 baht to GBP

Now it's somewhere in the very low 40's... 45 baht if I'm lucky !!

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

The opportunity has been there for any of us to take advantage of the strong baht, whether buying stuff from overseas with baht or investing overseas. I certainly did. I bought GBP investments recently with THB when the rate hit 41 in anticipation of the pound strengthening soon. It fell to 40 three weeks ago, but today the rate is 42+. My expectation is that it will continue to rise.

I used to hold my money in baht - I now have a sterling account - it takes me 2mins to move money from one to the other, original exchange rate was 54baht - moved back into sterling at 42baht

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on Smedley.

I have friends in the markets in U.K. who tell me they will not touch the Baht until it goes back to where it should be, which, apparently is around 65 to a pound.......

current price should be about 45-47 once the uncertainty over Brexit is removed, depending on other normal factors sterling could reach 50 against the baht and 145 to USD, I see no upside in the Euro - in fact it could well have a melt down as the EU implodes

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Hmm, that would mean a 40+% rise in the cost of the school fees, university fees and the property in the West End!

There are some jolly influential people who won't like that.

Let's face it, if your son and heir is having to reside in London for the time being, until a little contretemps over a traffic accident is resolved, then the cost of maintaining him (and his "court") needs to be considered. A word in the right ears here and there...

I'm sure that is only one example - there will be enough others. I believe that there is quite a community of free spending well funded young Thais in the UK.

I think you have a point about a cadre of influential elites who might want to influence (and always have) exchange rates to take advantage.

But I doubt your example. More than enough in foreign currency earnings to maintain substantial investments in various currencies to hedge against forex movements.

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

current price should be about 45-47 once the uncertainty over Brexit is removed, depending on other normal factors sterling could reach 50 against the baht and 145 to USD, I see no upside in the Euro - in fact it could well have a melt down as the EU implodes

Not if Britain crashes out of the EU with no deal! Then expect the pound to plummet.

If you look at the pound baht, over the last several years, the pound as been weakening linearly. I keep a record of all my currency changes from 2004 time. The pound has gone down over the years from 71 to around 40 at the moment. Even without Brexit is was on a downward trend. The decline would be less steep without Brexit but still downward.

Most Banks were saying the 1.45-1.50 pound to dollar was too high pre Brexit and suggesting the range 1.20-1.25 was more realistic. 

But the markets don't do what the Banks think! So who knows?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Not if Britain crashes out of the EU with no deal! Then expect the pound to plummet.

The consolation being a boon to the manufacturers and a swing from dependence on its financial services. 

4 hours ago, sungod said:

'The baht hit a five-year high against the dollar on Feb. 20. '

Dont understand this part, looking at XE.com historical data I saw that it was it highest over 5 years in mid 2015 (36.4), in Feb it was 31.87.

I would have thought Reuters would be more accurate, or am I missing something here?

the 36.4 is the dollar being high and the baht lower i think

And how bot will weaken the baht now ? What option the have? In 2004 when I was first time here 1500€ was enough a month for 2 people living a good life!
Now i need between 3000 and 3500€ a month espassaly in the south and islands ! I not belive anything about the retirement international fakes statistics thailand is now to expensive for all !

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I think you have a point about a cadre of influential elites who might want to influence (and always have) exchange rates to take advantage.

But I doubt your example. More than enough in foreign currency earnings to maintain substantial investments in various currencies to hedge against forex movements.

Yes, to blame the Red Bull fellow is probably an exaggeration. That said, in the "Alice in Wonderland" world in which the most influential echelons in this country live, such behaviour (on the part of all of all of them) is both likely and credible!

8 hours ago, smedly said:

the baht is trading to suit certain people and companies who are moving and investing money overseas at the cost of exports and tourism

A strong Baht is very useful if you want to buy expensive imported items. For example, submarines, tanks, warplanes, weapons etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I first visited Thailand in 2001/2002 then it was 65 baht to the British pound (GBP)

When I moved here in 2008 it was 55 baht to GBP

Now it's somewhere in the very low 40's... 45 baht if I'm lucky !!

My daughter came to visit me in July 2008 and commented on how well the Pound was doing. On 15 July it was 67.114 THB to 1 GBP,

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-THB-2008