Will the Thai baht hit 20 Aud ?

1 hour ago, dreaming said:

Must be a cheap house - $100K

3.8 mil baht, 2 bed, 2 br, 3 aircon, 100 sq. wah, closer to A$140,000 at the time. Not sure you'd call nearly 4 mil for Thailand cheap, could probably build the same house in a village for half that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Will Jesus come back tonight while I'm asleep.

Possibly but he would be holding Jerusalem shekels, they are down to the baht as well.

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Aussie dollar down, property prices spiralling downward, seems like a good time for overseas investors to look at Australia.

inspite of outrageous taxes? :sick:

• Like 1

Mate you've got it a bit arse about. Should be will the the $Aus hit or more like fall to Bt20. I'm sure I'll get hit again by the economic knowalls on here but I think the Baht is artificially inflated just like the Yuan in China. I hope it doesn't drop any further. Basically I've lost 30% of my money from 10 yrs ago. Have to feel for the Poms though. Gotta be around 45% for them. America was (or still is, not sure) investigating Thailand for currancy manipulation but currency manipulation is difficult to prove. The biggest <deleted> in all of this is China. THE most dangerous country in the world.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Aussie dollar down, property prices spiralling downward, seems like a good time for overseas investors to look at Australia.

You wouldn't want to be investing in Australia as a foreign investor, the taxes are a real killer, why do you think the government put all these extra taxes in, to stop the Chinese pushing the market up so high, a little late, although it is down 20%-25% over the last 2 years in Sydney & Melbourne.

Was travelling up for too long, the normal cycle is 1 to 2 years max, every 7 or so years, 5 years and you get an overheated market, remove the taxes for foreign investors and she might just fire up again, but would doubt that, because once that fish gets off the hook, it's gone.

Foreign investors would be better off putting their money into the stock market, no tax or capital gains tax on fully franked shares in Australia, makes you wonder why those Aussie's investing in the ASX are feeling that they are getting ripped.

Election time come May will be interesting, Labor wants to take away franking credits, and abolish negative gearing (grandfathered) of course, interesting times ahead for some.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deerculler said:

The biggest problem for New Zealand and Australia is because they are tied to whatever happens with China.

China is NZ and Aust. biggest trading partner.

If China goes down so do we.

If The world economy sneezes Australia catches a cold. I remember buying stock after the 2008 meltdown, when the unemployment figures were up in the US their market would open down strongly due to the volatility of the market back then. The OZ market would open as a blood bath

Edited by madmen

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You wouldn't want to be investing in Australia as a foreign investor, the taxes are a real killer, why do you think the government put all these extra taxes in, to stop the Chinese pushing the market up so high, a little late, although it is down 20%-25% over the last 2 years in Sydney & Melbourne.

Was travelling up for too long, the normal cycle is 1 to 2 years max, every 7 or so years, 5 years and you get an overheated market, remove the taxes for foreign investors and she might just fire up again, but would doubt that, because once that fish gets off the hook, it's gone.

Foreign investors would be better off putting their money into the stock market, no tax or capital gains tax on fully franked shares in Australia, makes you wonder why those Aussie's investing in the ASX are feeling that they are getting ripped.

Election time come May will be interesting, Labor wants to take away franking credits, and abolish negative gearing (grandfathered) of course, interesting times ahead for some.

Totally agree with your first sentence. Its a killer even for aussies living abroad now. Bloody absentee taxes etc. 

Re your comment on shares, also its tax free on gains on international shares. eg, if you have an aussie trading account and buy stocks overseas you don't have to pay any tax on the gains. Ive been lucky getting in and out of U.S tech stocks on nasdaq in the last 5 yrs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Totally agree with your first sentence. Its a killer even for aussies living abroad now. Bloody absentee taxes etc. 

Re your comment on shares, also its tax free on gains on international shares. eg, if you have an aussie trading account and buy stocks overseas you don't have to pay any tax on the gains. Ive been lucky getting in and out of U.S tech stocks on nasdaq in the last 5 yrs. 

Yeh, I had to sell my property before I became a non resident for tax purposes, otherwise I would have had to pay 32.5% on every $ earned, add all the other associated costs, like land tax at foreign rates, council/water rates, house insurance, tenancy insurance, maintenance, agents fees, advertising and any vacancy it would have ended up to be 50% or more, so in my case it worked out well, because if I held onto the property as I originally planned, I would be down 20%-25% on the gains that I made when I sold.

I haven't ventured out of the ASX yet as I have been averaging 12% return per annum tax free on the ASX and when converted to baht, it's a pretty comfortable lifestyle, but you have to be on the ball, suffice to say there is one to keep your eye on if you trade in the ASX, it's called Bingo Industries BIN, should be up 30% within the next 6 months, happy trading ????

6 hours ago, Naam said:

inspite of outrageous taxes? :sick:

Negative gearing and reduced capital gains taxes will ensure investors stay in the market. So it depends on whether the politicians add more incentive to prop up the market. If real estate drops another 10% I think it would be fair buying, especially in regional capitals.

34 minutes ago, Henryford said:

ALL western economies are only going one way - down.

That's about as sensible as the people who say: When I fall off my barstool here in Pattaya, I can't see much happening so obviously the Thai economy is rats...

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

3.8 mil baht, 2 bed, 2 br, 3 aircon, 100 sq. wah, closer to A$140,000 at the time. Not sure you'd call nearly 4 mil for Thailand cheap, could probably build the same house in a village for half that.

If it was $140K then the drop from 30 baht to 27 cost you $14K.

But you have done well with the continued falling AUD anyway - if you wanted to sell and move back to aus

21 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I think the Baht is artificially inflated just like the Yuan in China

methinks you think wrong as the Chinese currency is artificially DEflated and that's what the masters of the "Greatest Nation on Earth" think of the Thai Baht. i suggest to do a little homework.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Naam said:

methinks you think wrong as the Chinese currency is artificially DEflated and that's what the masters of the "Greatest Nation on Earth" think of the Thai Baht. i suggest to do a little homework.

Yes indeed. Undervalued. My bad.????

Canadian dollar same same.Going down against the baht.I was in Bangkok  December til feb 2019.I was in bakery downstairs at terminal 21 . I know it's a tourist place but a doughnut was selling for 24 baht.I was shocked.

Came back home and the supermarket selling same doughnut six for 2 bucks.These were fresh pastries.Yup,thailand is getting expensive.

4 minutes ago, cbc said:

Canadian dollar same same.Going down against the baht.I was in Bangkok  December til feb 2019.I was in bakery downstairs at terminal 21 . I know it's a tourist place but a doughnut was selling for 24 baht.I was shocked.

Came back home and the supermarket selling same doughnut six for 2 bucks.These were fresh pastries.Yup,thailand is getting expensive.

Big C sells them for 8 baht. same same

• 1 month later...

It seems like it will get there in a week or two.

I thought my Canadian dollar was bad until I had a look.

This seems to be a world wide trend. Hedging it with a condo purchase seems like a good idea. We need to face the fact that Thais are getting richer while we are getting poorer.