Songkran carnage: Seven deadly days becomes 21 as 10% accident reduction targeted

webfact

Last songkram was a sad time for me. I went to the farm as usual, on the last day, to feed my koi carp. I thought there was something wrong as soon as I went to pond 6. It was almost as though there were no fish in there. I threw in some food and watched. Gradually, the koi started to show. It was obvious something was amiss. They had been shocked*.

I lost about 20 big koi. All the big whites and a few all-red were missing. And my favourite; a gin rin yellow and black (about 75cm)

Carp are not one of the better tasting fish, so I think it must have been an act of lao khow spontainiosity. Sort of good idea at the time, while downing the local rice wine.

This year I'm gonna stay at the farm. I reckon they (whoever they are) will be back for some more fish this year.

* It actually took about a week for them to return to normal.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So extend it from 7 days to 21 days, sounds like one bigger reason for an extended pi$$ up to me, with at least the doubling of deaths on the roads, another Thai genius idea with little thought gone into it, brilliant !

The longer the counting period for the road death toll, the more diluted the end number should be. However if you were to take UN estimates the Songkran period compares as favourably lower than the average over the other week's of the year. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AI5AASIA said:

The longer the counting period for the road death toll, the more diluted the end number should be. However if you were to take UN estimates the Songkran period compares as favourably lower than the average over the other week's of the year. 

Yes you are right.Why not expand the period to 365 days and hope for 5% less victims?

• Haha 2

"Thaivisa notes that if past years are anything to go by somewhere between one thousand and two thousand  people are likely to lose their lives in that 21 day period. 

An average of about 70 people die on the nation's roads every day not just at Songkran. "

So over the 21 days the road death rate is about average.... ???

10 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"Thaivisa notes that if past years are anything to go by somewhere between one thousand and two thousand  people are likely to lose their lives in that 21 day period"

"An average of about 70 people die on the nation's roads every day not just at Songkran. "

According to those figures...no extra deaths over the Songkran period...just the same as all year round?

Dang beat me to it! 21 X 70 = 1,470... almost dead center twixt 1 & 2 thousand. These guys are genius level at accident prevention. Like "take this medicine and you'll be cured in a week. Don't take it and get well in 7 days"

• Haha 1

Invoke special powers? What, like those of the members from The Avengers? Aren't you idiots tired of the moronic drone - year in, year out - about the 7 stupid days? Oh, now you've extended it to 21. How about adding 344 days to it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every year a news article regarding reduction of road deaths during Songkrahn. Every year TVF posters spewing the same comments. Anyone on either side got anything original?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1