Further inquiries needed on Songkran booze ban

webfact

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

They can, maybe, ban sales during Songkran, but as far as consumption goes, there are two hopes of stopping that.......................................... Bob Hope and NO Hope ! 

Bob Hope?  Not sure that's legal just yet.

• Confused 1

I am still mystified sometimes by the rubbish that comes forth from these mouthpieces.

Last weekend there was a ban on selling alcohol because of the election, and what happened..........A man was arrested for defacing his ballot paper because he was out of his tree, and admitted to having been drinking since 5 pm on the Saturday........the whole time of the sales ban !!!!

Edited by AhFarangJa

Ifthey really want to deal with problems, let them enforce the CURRENT LAWS 100%

Drink driving. Lose the car for one month

Drunken behaviour..Lock up for 5 days

having an accident on any form of motor vehicle while drunk..lose the vehicle for one month and PAY all expenses relating to injury of a third person.

If vehicle seized then they pay 300 per day for storage. 

Simple , but will never happen , the public know that and the police would lose financially. 

The cause of most traffic accidents is stupidity. I don't know how many times another motorcyclist has passed me with very little room to spare. Happened yesterday when I was slowing down to make a left turn with signals on and brake lights that work. Another driver clipped the right side of my bike and knocked me down as well as herself. She says she didn't have time to break but she had plenty of time if she had been paying attention to what is going on around her.

Makes my blood boil when I read this drivel. Everybody must suffer, not, with a booze ban that has absolutely no hope of working.

How about, effective immediately, all Police go out patrolling and anyone caught drink driving, immediate 2 years in prison and car/bike is crushed!! That might make people think twice about DD over Sonkran. Everyone else can enjoy themselves.

The authorities never look at the root of holiday carnage which is quite simply an ineffective Police force. 

• Like 1

Christmas is a farang celebration and Songkran is a Thai celebration therefore during those 3/4 days

I will lock the gate, mind my business and if I want to get drenched I'll take a shower, but take my

clothes off before hand. The days of gentle Songkran are long gone. 

• Like 1

Thailand. They seem hell bent on destroying their country as a tourist destination.  What they don't seem to understand is that Thailand became a favourite because of its natural charm, not because of laws passed by corrupt officials.

"If it's not %$@$, don't fix it" should be the governments motto.  Get out on the roads and start seizing the vehicles belonging to the lunatics.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

DRINKERS are being kept on tenterhooks after a ministerial panel on alcohol control has not yet decided whether to ban sales of booze during the upcoming Songkran festival.

No need to ban booze, let people enjoy the holiday festivities.

BUT:

Inform them, bad/lewd behaviour will get a stiff fine,

drink and drive you will get hammered hard.

Automatic mandatory one year ban, 100,000 baht fine!

No excuses.

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

From this one gets a clear picture on the level of priority the government places on road safety.

Or more accurately the dilemma they face in causing a serious loss of booze sales revenue to the big beverage companies.

1. Minister fails to show up for the meeting on March 15th. (initial pressure applied)

2. There is no new schedule to consider the proposal. (pressure intensified)

See the post directly above yours:-

"Politicians and police are practical people, they know to leave this well alone." (Not saying that I agree with it, mind!)

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am still mystified sometimes by the rubbish that comes forth from these mouthpieces.

Last weekend there was a ban on selling alcohol because of the election, and what happened..........A man was arrested for defacing his ballot paper because he was out of his tree, and admitted to having been drinking since 5 pm on the Saturday........the whole time of the sales ban !!!!

"Sales ban" Did it not cross your mind that he bought the alcohol the day before? And there are lots of people I know that did exactly that, as they probably learned their lesson the previous weekend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No need to ban booze, let people enjoy the holiday festivities.

BUT:

Inform them, bad/lewd behaviour will get a stiff fine,

drink and drive you will get hammered hard.

Automatic mandatory one year ban, 100,000 baht fine!

No excuses.

The thing is, most people can't pay that kind of fines.

7 hours ago, worrab said:

Makes my blood boil when I read this drivel. Everybody must suffer, not, with a booze ban that has absolutely no hope of working.

How about, effective immediately, all Police go out patrolling and anyone caught drink driving, immediate 2 years in prison and car/bike is crushed!! That might make people think twice about DD over Sonkran. Everyone else can enjoy themselves.

The authorities never look at the root of holiday carnage which is quite simply an ineffective Police force. 

A zero tolerance of drinking and driving as above would do the trick, designated drivers etc.

While they are at it, could be a zero tolerance of assaults or blatant scams on tourists by public service workers such as the Phuket taxi drivers, jet ski <deleted>, etc a minimum jail term and loss of licence or ban from the tourist industry.

But with lunatics running the asylum common sense is in short supply and corruption rules!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Face the Fact: There are never less traffic victims than over the Songkran days. 

Untrue. According to the World Health Organisation "Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day". This is higher than the figures given for the seven dangerous days of Songkran which are around 10% lower. 

17 hours ago, sambum said:

"Sales ban" Did it not cross your mind that he bought the alcohol the day before? And there are lots of people I know that did exactly that, as they probably learned their lesson the previous weekend!

I believe you may have missed the point of my post. There was a sales ban on due to the election, yet people were still drinking..........and turning up to vote drunk. .....as you say purchased beforehand..........so...to re iterate.........what is the point of a ban on alcohol as people will still get access to it.................