Trump overrides advisers, backs funding for Special Olympics after uproar

webfact

Trump overrides advisers, backs funding for Special Olympics after uproar

2019-03-28T220829Z_1_LYNXNPEF2R1X9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump waves as he departs for travel to Grand Rapids, Michigan from the White House in Washington, U.S., March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump overrode his budget team and backed funding for the Special Olympics on Thursday after his proposed cuts to the athletic program drew heavy fire from both Republicans and Democrats.

Trump's proposed budget for fiscal year 2020, which he released earlier this month, would have zeroed out funding for the Special Olympics, which has an allocation of $17.6 million this fiscal year.

There was no sign that Congress was going to agree to defund the popular Special Olympics program in spite of Trump's proposal. He had sought to cut funding last year as well and lawmakers added the funding back into the budget.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos had struggled to defend the proposal in testimony to Congress and both Trump's Republicans and opposition Democrats had denounced the move.

The Special Olympics is the world's largest sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities or physical disabilities.

Talking to reporters on the White House South Lawn, Trump said he had just heard about the controversy on Thursday morning.

"I've been to the Special Olympics, I think it's incredible and I just authorized a funding," Trump said. "I heard about it this morning. I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics."

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Editing by Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-29

26 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I was wondering how long it would take the Trump haters to find fault with this.

Considering trump is constantly cutting or attempting to cut funding for the less well off you believe the man's words? Bet someone close to him told him the optics don't look good. As for him attending handicapped events - LOL.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

It's Trump's budget and he didn't know the cut was in there? DeVos says been fighting for Special Olympics behind the scenes for years? With who? Shadow boxing?

Sorry Donnie, but ignorance is no excuse. You need some people on your "team" who know how to read and comprehend and somehow tell you about this before it gets submitted.

Congress smelt it and you dealt it. Surprise us all by taking responsibility. Like Truman said "The buck stops here"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I was wondering how long it would take the Trump haters to find fault with this.

Actually, I commend Trump for doing this.  It's one of the few correct decisions he's made.  And if he throws DeVos under-the-bus in the process, even better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Actually, I commend Trump for doing this.  It's one of the few correct decisions he's made.  And if he throws DeVos under-the-bus in the process, even better.

Agreed, I watched her being questioned by the budget committee yesterday, she's an utter disgrace. 

• Like 1

I might go out on a limb here but this is one type of go fund me that I think myself and many many other Americans and non Americans would support. Can a huge organization like the Special Olympics  do such a thing? Especially if the program is getting cut or reduced?  I can see just one or two celebrities urging their fans on social media to donate and EASILY raising a mere 17.6 millionUSD.

I guess others would want to do the same thing but then it might be a good trend actually.  

• Confused 1

President is an incredibly kind and forgiving man. After all the BS caused by Nancy Pelosi, he's still going to fund the games so ole Nancy can have her time to compete with all the other special people.  You go Nancy, chase that ball.

Edited by Peasandmash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cereal said:

As a trump supporter, do you not find fault with this? He already believes he could shoot someone, on 5th Avenue, in New York City, and his favorable support wouldn't change, at all. If he did and the "trump haters" reported it, I imagine you would criticize them, as well. 

Edited by skytrooper70
clarified "haters."

Interesting that the POTUS doesn't admit to knowing details of his own budget cuts and the Secretary of Education claims she didn't want to cut it and fought to keep it but, somehow, someway, somehow, someone overruled her decision, albeit, she is the head of the Education Department. Whatever happened to the old, "The buck stops, here," mantra of many a highly successful leader? This cut has been proposed, in each of trump's 3 years, in office, but his republican controlled Congress ignored the cuts, as nonsensical. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I might go out on a limb here but this is one type of go fund me that I think myself and many many other Americans and non Americans would support. Can a huge organization like the Special Olympics  do such a thing? Especially if the program is getting cut or reduced?  I can see just one or two celebrities urging their fans on social media to donate and EASILY raising a mere 17.6 millionUSD.

I guess others would want to do the same thing but then it might be a good trend actually.  

Which is it? Are you American or a non American?

Edited by mamypoko

4 hours ago, mamypoko said:

Which is it? Are you American or a non American?

I TEXTED both Americans and non Americans would support this type of go fund me if allowed. How does your question come into play? 

I proposed an idea. Governments of the world don’t necessarily have to fund many programs if the people of the world contribute to them. I actually don’t think it’s a bad idea. I bet over 17.6 million could easily be raised for special Olympics each year. 

What EXACTLY are you confused about? Since you left that emoji on my post. 

Edited by alex8912

The olympics in general are a tremendous waste of money. I don't see how this is any different. All of these little pet projects are exactly why the USA is $22 trillion in debt growing everyday. It would take somebody going through the budget with no emotion and cutting every single thing that is not essential to fix this.

We all need to sacrifice something we cherish if we expect to be able to fund social security and medicare past the best decade. However any cuts made should not be reallocated they need to go directly to the debt. 

I guess I am at risk of being unpopular on this issue. lol 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The olympics in general are a tremendous waste of money. I don't see how this is any different. All of these little pet projects are exactly why the USA is $22 trillion in debt growing everyday. It would take somebody going through the budget with no emotion and cutting every single thing that is not essential to fix this.

We all need to sacrifice something we cherish if we expect to be able to fund social security and medicare past the best decade. However any cuts made should not be reallocated they need to go directly to the debt. 

I guess I am at risk of being unpopular on this issue. lol 

How about we tax rich a holes like Donald and his cronies how about they make some sacrifices for the disadvantaged among us Donald could care less about thease people they are often used as fodder by him we all know what Donald is 

Just now, Tug said:

How about we tax rich a holes like Donald and his cronies how about they make some sacrifices for the disadvantaged among us Donald could care less about thease people they are often used as fodder by him we all know what Donald is 

You just can't help but be this rabid all the time can you? it's cute.

• Thanks 1

The 17 million from the federal government is just 15% according to the website.  Annual budget for 2017 was around $117 million.  

We need separate sporting events to somehow show we are a humane society when it comes to the "intellectually challenged"  ?  How about putting that money into Brain research?

Much more likely to benefit these human beings in the long run. 

Edited by Skallywag
grammer

23 hours ago, webfact said:

"I've been to the Special Olympics, I think it's incredible and I just authorized a funding," Trump said. "I heard about it this morning. I have overridden my people. We're funding the Special Olympics." 

Of course he will, why would he lie?

:cheesy:

19 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Bill Gates or George Soros could probably fund this out of small change.