UK's May under pressure to rule out long Brexit delay

rooster59

UK's May under pressure to rule out long Brexit delay

By Elizabeth Piper and William Schomberg

800x800 (7).jpg

British Prime Minister Theresa May speaks at the House of Commons in London, Britain March 29, 2019. ©UK Parliament/Mark Duffy/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May is facing a new push by members of her Conservative Party to lead Britain out of the European Union in the next few months, even if it means a potentially damaging no-deal Brexit.

Conservative lawmakers urged May against a long extension of the Brexit process in a letter sent after her exit deal was rejected for a third time by the House of Commons on Friday, a lawmaker said.

The Sun newspaper said the letter was signed by 170 of the 314 Conservative lawmakers in parliament, including 10 cabinet ministers, heaping more pressure on May, who has offered to resign if she can get her Brexit deal through parliament.

Friday's vote, on the day that the country was originally due to leave the bloc, kept Britain in political turmoil.

May has less than two weeks to convince the 27 other EU countries that she can solve the impasse. Otherwise she will have to ask the bloc for a long extension or take Britain out of the EU on April 12 with no deal to soften the economic shock.

"We want to leave the EU on April 12 or very soon afterwards," The Sun quoted a Brexit-supporting minister as saying in reference to Friday's letter.

A spokeswoman for May declined to comment on the letter.

The Conservative Party's chairman Brandon Lewis said he was aware of it but had not seen it.

Many eurosceptic Conservative lawmakers have long demanded what they say would be a clean break from the EU.

By contrast, the 650-seat lower house of parliament has voted overwhelmingly against a no-deal Brexit although its view is non-binding.

On Monday, lawmakers will try to agree on an alternative to May's Brexit plan. The options that have so far gathered most support involve closer ties to the EU and a second referendum.

The BBC said government officials had not ruled out the possibility of a run-off vote in parliament next week between the most popular option proposed by lawmakers and May's deal.

Lewis, the Conservative Party chairman, said all options were on the table but that a customs union with the EU -- an idea backed by the opposition Labour Party and some Conservatives -- would be difficult.

"We've got to look at what we can do next and we have to do something different," he told BBC radio when asked if May might try to put her withdrawal agreement to a parliamentary vote for a fourth time.

"Parliament will continue this process on Monday and we've got to look at all the options."

A customs union would fly in the face of the Conservative Party's pledges before the 2017 national election and would not respect the outcome of the 2016 Brexit referendum, Lewis said.

When asked if a way out of the impasse was to hold a fresh national election, he said he did not think British voters wanted to return to the polls.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-31

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Well this ought to be another disaster in the making for her, she comes across as a bit of a masochist.

I am sure if she were a party whip the naughty boys would be lining up outside her office for a bit of S&M...

• Like 1

Dominic Grieve's must have been chuffed when his constituency secretary phoned friday afternoon to say They had a number of rejoiners and they had recruited a lot of new members who will be attending tonight's constituency meeting, ...so do be early as the meeting will be packed.

Dominic Grieve has blamed a former Ukip opponent for orchestrating an insurgency of his local association which has plunged his future into doubt after he lost a confidence vote.

The remain-supporting Tory MP is facing deselection from his party after the Conservative association in his Beaconsfield constituency said it no longer had confidence in him at a “rowdy” meeting on Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/30/grieve-accuses-ex-ukip-opponent-of-insurgency-after-confidence-vote-loss

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

My hopes are rising for the "hard Brexit" we voted for and won in the referendum. This is the first time there has been a glimmer of hope since the heady days following the incredible referendum victory. 

You are quite likely get the really hard brexit you wished for.

What happens afterwards is going to be interesting. 

EU side is quite fed up with UK's indecision.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Greenisland said:

You are quite likely get the really hard brexit you wished for.

What happens afterwards is going to be interesting. 

EU side is quite fed up with UK's indecision.  

Unfortunately I can not believe many of these Hard Brexiteers on this forum actually reside in the UK.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think some kind of "people's vote" is now inevitable. Either a General Election or a 2nd Referendum - or/and European Parliament elections.

Farage & Robinson would be as welcome in the EU Parliament as Homer Simpson (Pissup-in-a-brewery Greyling!) would as PM in Westminster.

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We already voted leave. How about vote on No Deal or Mays deal. Yes frequent elections but that is after the government have been in power,. The referendum result hasn't even been enacted upon. You do not have another election/vote because you didn't like the result.

It looks like the leavers don't believe themselves anymore since the future doesn't look as bright as described by lunatic populists as Farage. 

As the truth about UK's future is different as described by govt. it is good and fair to vote again because all facts are on the table now. 

It's not a problem for TM to say sorry to EU and to admit being a mistake to leave the club. 

• Like 2

It looks like the leavers don't believe themselves anymore since the future doesn't look as bright as described by lunatic populists as Farage. 

As the truth about UK's future is different as described by govt. it is good and fair to vote again because all facts are on the table now. 

It's not a problem for TM to say sorry to EU and to admit being a mistake to leave the club. 

8 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think some kind of "people's vote" is now inevitable. Either a General Election or a 2nd Referendum - or/and European Parliament elections.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree, and the bookies (broadly do also)

Chances of a 2nd referendum 11/5    (22/10)

Revoke Brexit or extend beyond 2019 3/10

No deal Brexit 12/5   (24/10)

In case of a 2nd referendum leave 5/1  remain 2/1

According to that left wing rag the Daily Seig Heil Labour is now 5 points ahead of the Tories, still not enough for an overall majority as - apart from anything else - they are forecast to lose all their Scottish seats. Corbyn may not be wise to demand a new election though, a week is a long time in politics, why not just let the Tories self destruct, it doesn't look like it will take long on current form.

Anyway I always have my doubts whether Corbyn actually wants an election for the good of the country, or if it is just an opportunity for his politburo to organize another Stalinist purge of the dwindling bunch of Labour MPs who have minds of their own, but that's another question.

The best option now seems to be Clarks Customs Union.

It solves the NI problem in one step

It stops us from destroying our economy 

We leave in name only (Wonderful)

We can toss some crumbs of comfort over immigration whatever, to the leavers before they start weeping and committing acts of civil disobedience. 

No deal is clearly the least popular option, in this poll for the Mail, a rock solid supporter of Brexit.

2068972149_ScreenShot2019-03-31at15_48_00.png.0fab2976714455ec82c353cb7ed82df4.png

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

You are telling other people what they thought and think ?

Not just one person, you are informing 17 Million people of what they thought 

Could you re read the minds of those 17 million people again and find out what they would vote for next time ?

I am doing exactly that. Quite like you are doing yourself. I am telling people how to think. 

17 million people, of which perhaps 10 million were Labour supporters who were eager to kick Tory government's nose in any way possibly.

Good riddance. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

We knew exactly what we were voting for. What new facts are these?  I suppose you mean the scare stories dreamt up by Project Fear. You can have another referendum in 40 years. We waited 40 years for this one.

May I remember you to the referendum of  5 June 1975

Results
  Votes %
14px-Yes_check.svg.png Yes 17,378,581 67.23%
14px-X_mark.svg.png No 8,470,073 32.77%
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79%
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.21%
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00%
Registered voters/turnout 40,086,677 64.62%