Digital Photography Workshop

lburry

I've searched the forum but was unable to find my answer. I hope you don't mind me posting my query here. I'm new here and have been lurking in hopes of learning about Chiang Mai for a holiday later this year. I will say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the wit and humor of the expats in Chiang Mai... it's been a pleasure to read the discussions. Thank you for that.

Anyway, my wife and I plan to visit Chiang Mai during October and we're looking for some activities to stimulate our minds. I've read many posts on activities and it looks like we'll enjoy ourselves. I've noticed that there are many classes offered (cooking, massage, etc) but I haven't seen anything on photography. I am hoping that there is a professional photographer in the Chiang Mai area who is interested in offering a training workshop (2 or 3 days) in digital photography. Do any of you know someone who might offer this or have interest?

Thanks in advance for your help. And thanks for letting me post here.

Regards,

Larry

I've spent a day or two trainging with Steve myself - he's great. Full of stories, years of experience, and great at explaining. He loves to teach. We spent one day where he took me out to a hilltribe market to take pix way north of CM - something that only somebody who lives here would know about, and also we spent a day or so delaing with tehcincal shooting things and with basic photoshop techniques.

I know other peole who have gone with him and they like that he let's you tell him what you need, and then he makes plans around that.

He has a few emails to reach him at. In addition to the one above, I have this one [email protected]

Good luck.

Contact PhotoEnvisions. I think maybe Steve Kramer offers what you are looking for and he seems to do quite a bit of business.

Wow, what fast responses! Thank you for the help. I've already emailed Steve and hopefully, he'll offer what I'm looking for.

His website doesn't state whether he offers instruction with photo editing software. Anyone know if that's so or perhaps another software instructor who might?

Thanks again for the very fast help. I'm impressed.

Ummm.... I'm not an expat so I hope nobody minds me posting here. I am located in northeast Oklahoma (USA) so if there are any expats who need assistance here, please let me know.

Larry

What do you want to learn .

I love digital photography

and had been doing so for many years and had been a photographer for about 18 years now .

was the chairman of my club at 14 . start at 12 . :o

first camera Eos10

Nikon FM2

Coolpix 5000

Nikon L4

Here is some photo i took and special edit

Note. - Photo had been digitally Reduce in size and pixel for posting online .

here something i had done 4 years ago 2003

Children_of_the_Bridge.jpg

Born_Evil_2.jpg

The_Rebirth.jpg

Just_flower.jpg

Sticky_rice.jpg

Old_Cat.jpg

Toilet.jpg

Grave.jpg

Market_Trip_III.jpg

Market_Trip_II.jpg

Red_Ant_.jpg

This is my personal Fav

my_lighter.jpg

Hope you like it .

Edited by Ta22

What do you want to learn .

I love digital photography

and had been doing so for many years and had been a photographer for about 18 years now .

was the chairman of my club at 14 . start at 12 . :o

first camera Eos10

Nikon FM2

Coolpix 5000

Nikon L4

Here is some photo i took and special edit

Note. - Photo had been digitally Reduce in size and pixel for posting online .

here something i had done 4 years ago 2003

(Photo attachments omitted in reply)

Hope you like it .

Thank you, TA for the response and your attachments. I enjoyed viewing them alot! Thailand seems to have so many colorful subjects to photograph.

I stated my desires in an earlier post about what I'm looking for. During our visit, we plan to enjoy a lot of great food and spirits but the best part may be the photos that we bring home... they'll last forever. It makes really good sense to improve my skills there. :D

I'm learning to update my profile here so I'll need to find some of my own photos to place there. Thanks again for the information and friendly response.

Larry

Software ?? You are coming to software paradise. If you don't have any qualms with unlicensed software like everybody else here does, you'll find you can get the whole Photoshop CS for about $5. There's also an easier photo viewing/editing program called Phto Canvas Lite by ACDSee. You just have to hit any one of CM's 4 computer ware centers. BKK has plenty too.

Steve will show you how to download and touch up, crop, color correct, or do fx on your pix using the computer and photoshop in his studio. What you do on your own is then up to you.

Software ?? You are coming to software paradise. If you don't have any qualms with unlicensed software like everybody else here does, you'll find you can get the whole Photoshop CS for about $5. There's

I think that I'll enjoy shopping there!! Thanks. :o

I've spent a day or two trainging with Steve myself - he's great. Full of stories, years of experience, and great at explaining. He loves to teach. We spent one day where he took me out to a hilltribe market to take pix way north of CM - something that only somebody who lives here would know about, and also we spent a day or so delaing with tehcincal shooting things and with basic photoshop techniques.

I know other peole who have gone with him and they like that he let's you tell him what you need, and then he makes plans around that.

He has a few emails to reach him at. In addition to the one above, I have this one [email protected]

Good luck.

I just got back from some travels, and noticed this thread. While flying out in January, I noticed that about a dozen of Steve Kramer's photos were used in an article in the plane's January seat back magazine. When I returned yesterday, I found more of his photos in another article in the March issue of this plane's magazine too!!

I took his class last year and it was one of the best learning experiences I've had to date. Kramer was insightful enough to see when I was a bit confused, and worked with me until that confusion was cleared up. Completely patient with a technical dunderhead like me. He taught me not just the how of things, but the why as well. Now I 'understand' photography. I still may not be an artist, but at least I can now use my camera to 'its' full potential. He is a teacher, the way teachers should have been back when I was in school. It was a long day but well planned, so at no time did I feel bored, tired out, or my interest flagging. Kramer kept me motivated all day long. His enthusiasm for life is contagious! :o

The part that really impressed me was Kramer's last question as we were finishing up the class. He asked me "are you satisfied that you learned what you wanted to learn, or would you like your money back?" You don't hear that very often in Thailand.

The Fly Fisherman

I just got back from some travels, and noticed this thread. While flying out in January, I noticed that about a dozen of Steve Kramer's photos were used in an article in the plane's January seat back magazine. When I returned yesterday, I found more of his photos in another article in the March issue of this plane's magazine too!!

I took his class last year and it was one of the best learning experiences I've had to date. Kramer was insightful enough to see when I was a bit confused, and worked with me until that confusion was cleared up. Completely patient with a technical dunderhead like me. He taught me not just the how of things, but the why as well. Now I 'understand' photography. I still may not be an artist, but at least I can now use my camera to 'its' full potential. He is a teacher, the way teachers should have been back when I was in school. It was a long day but well planned, so at no time did I feel bored, tired out, or my interest flagging. Kramer kept me motivated all day long. His enthusiasm for life is contagious! :o

The part that really impressed me was Kramer's last question as we were finishing up the class. He asked me "are you satisfied that you learned what you wanted to learn, or would you like your money back?" You don't hear that very often in Thailand.

The Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman, which airline did you travel on? I'd enjoy viewing that if it's available online. I have been in touch with Steve Kramer and he's been very responsive to my queries. He's answered all of my questions with promptness and has been quite thorough. My wife and I plan to take his class when we travel to Chiang Mai in October. When done, we'll post comments on our experiences.

I want to thank every person here for all the good information. I think this is the friendliest online forum that I've read in years.

Regards,

Larry

The Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman, which airline did you travel on? I'd enjoy viewing that if it's available online. I have been in touch with Steve Kramer and he's been very responsive to my queries. He's answered all of my questions with promptness and has been quite thorough. My wife and I plan to take his class when we travel to Chiang Mai in October. When done, we'll post comments on our experiences.

I want to thank every person here for all the good information. I think this is the friendliest online forum that I've read in years.

Regards,

Larry

I was traveling One2Go airlines when I saw the articles. Here is this month's

http://www.one2go-magazine.com/specialfeature.htm

And this one is from January.

http://www.one2go-magazine.com/specialfeat...ature_jan07.htm January's is a lot nicer.

Having seen his other photos, I can't really say these are his best photos of Thailand. I suppose he get's told what to shoot for these articles. I prefer the ones in the "399 Digital Postcards" CD. THOSE are nice!

The Fly Fisherman (who now doesn't cut off the heads of his photo subjects any more)