Theresa May to ask EU for further Brexit extension

webfact

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Completely agree. Never, and never, the hearts of the British were at the EU. Only "MY money back". 

So, let them, throw them out. Let's see how soon they will regret it an apply for a new membership whent their export is wrecked, and over a 100.000 jobs migrated to continental EU.  And then… no priovilegdes, accept Schengen and €uro + right lane traffic.

The British forget: their export goes to the EU (43%) and associated countries. see in google with "import export uk to eu". Look especially how much of imports from non-EU members = oil and gas.

In figures released in the second calendar year after the EU referendum, exports to non-EU countries amounted to around £342 billion in 2017, showing the worldwide demand for British goods and services remains. Exports to EU countries were around £274 billion in 2017.

The fastest growing export market for the UK since 2010 was Oman, with exports increasing by 354% to £3 billion ( so 1,1% of EU trade) . This was followed by Macedonia (FYROM) with UK trade growing by 318% to £1 billion ( 0,366% of EU)  and then Kazakhstan which was up by 210% to £2 billion ( 0,73% of EU) .

Facts, facts and logical thinking, that is just not how leavers tick.

And that link gov.uk Who would trust them if you can get all the wisdom you need from the tabloids? ???? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

That would mean a possible exit probably in a couple of years, because the extension would not be granted only for a few months if taking part in EU elections.

I would say June 1st next year, one year on from when the new MEP's take office at the earliest, but given where we are after nearly 3 years I think we need a lot longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

When you have a first past the post rule that that is what it means.

When you have yes/no....leave/remain vote, that is what it means.

You poll 52% vs 48% you win, they lose - that is what it means.

It is what democracy is built on .......it is not bl00dy complicated.

I love the way that referenda are irreversible.  Make a decision, implement it, find out what it means, plan it.  

DECIDE - DO - LEARN - THINK

Its not WE Demming but in the post-quality world, it's as good a philosophy as any other.

SC

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

Juncker rejects May appeal for a further short Brexit delay

European commission president says 12 April ‘ultimate deadline’ for MPs to pass deal

Theresa May’s appeal for a short Brexit extension has been rejected by Jean-Claude Juncker, who said that unless the withdrawal deal was passed within nine days the UK would crash out of the EU or have to sign up to a long delay.

Less than 24 hours after May had spelled out her new strategy from Downing Street, the European commission president dismissed her request for an extension of article 50 to 22 May.

Speaking to the European parliament, Juncker instead set an “ultimate deadline” of 12 April for the Commons to approve the withdrawal agreement.

“If it has not done so by then, no further short extension will be possible,” he said. “After 12 April, we risk jeopardising the European parliament elections, and so threaten the functioning of the European Union.”

Juncker said that at that point the UK would face a no-deal Brexit but that the EU would not “kick out” a member state, in a reference to the certain offer of a lengthy extension of article 50.

Juncker said: “Yet I believe that a no deal at midnight on 12 April is now a very likely scenario,. It is not the outcome I want. But it is an outcome for which I have made sure the European Union is ready.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

Juncker rejects May appeal for a further short Brexit delay

European commission president says 12 April ‘ultimate deadline’ for MPs to pass deal

Theresa May’s appeal for a short Brexit extension has been rejected by Jean-Claude Juncker, who said that unless the withdrawal deal was passed within nine days the UK would crash out of the EU or have to sign up to a long delay.

Less than 24 hours after May had spelled out her new strategy from Downing Street, the European commission president dismissed her request for an extension of article 50 to 22 May.

Speaking to the European parliament, Juncker instead set an “ultimate deadline” of 12 April for the Commons to approve the withdrawal agreement.

“If it has not done so by then, no further short extension will be possible,” he said. “After 12 April, we risk jeopardising the European parliament elections, and so threaten the functioning of the European Union.”

Juncker said that at that point the UK would face a no-deal Brexit but that the EU would not “kick out” a member state, in a reference to the certain offer of a lengthy extension of article 50.

Juncker said: “Yet I believe that a no deal at midnight on 12 April is now a very likely scenario,. It is not the outcome I want. But it is an outcome for which I have made sure the European Union is ready.

It's called political rhetoric ... a bit of pressure to get May over the line.

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

We shall know 12 April  for sure, as 10 the special 27 members meeting so technically it could already be decided short after 10 april ….

24 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Here some super rhetoric from comments page The Telegraph ….. fun to read :clap2:, spitting fire ….

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/03/jean-claude-juncker-attacks-no-deal-brexit-supporters-urges/#comments

2 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Long delay it will be.

The real rulers of the UK (City Corp) want to remain

Everything else is theater

So our big contributor keep supporting us E.U. ….. o such a bunch of nice good guy's and girls....:wai:  :thumbsup: 

I couldn't help noticing this Miller-esque challenge in the news this morning....

A former appeal judge has said the legality of Theresa May's delay to Brexit should be tested in a court.

Sir Richard Aikens, who sat in the Court of Appeal from 2008 until 2015, spoke after the leader of the English Democrats political party launched a legal battle claiming that the UK has already left the EU. 

Britain was supposed to leave on March 29, but was granted an extension by the EU until April 12 at a meeting last in Brussels last month.

But the English Democrats leader Robin Tilbrook, as well as number of Tory Brexiteers, says the new exit date should have gone before the House of Commons and the House of Lords before it was approved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

The real reason why the U.K. joined the E.U. :

Now we still have to know the real reason why the U.K. wish to leave the E.U..

Marvelous series…., watching U.K. politics is like a "Deja vu " with this funny TV series.... they where decades ahead …., or was Englanders politics always already so ? :cheesy:

• Like 1

I may hope readers understand this preventing "no deal bill "works only on U.K. side …(!?) , as when E.U Juncker's plan sticks to it , that in case the A. 50 is not signed and so no extension is given , it is no deal by default , as in the E.C.J verdict in favor to U.K's unilaterally given right to revoke A50 , is not given a same right to  a unilateral EXTENSION...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/mps-pass-motion-to-debate-article-50-extension-by-one-vote

Bill to prevent no-deal Brexit passes Commons by one vote

Government fails to block draft law from Yvette Cooper and Sir Oliver Letwin

18 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Norway and Switzerland are defacto EU members, buit not a word to say ( of course.. Sweden & Denmark resp. Germany, Austria, France and Italy will do that for them ) 

No, Sir, they are not members - deal with the EU on bilateral/multilateral basis but kept the EU - for the time being - out of their domestic equation. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I’d love to see the EU not grant May’s next extension. I though it would happen last time, but there seems to be much more EU anti UK rhetoric now. Fingers crossed, as Stephen Barclay the (current) Brexit Minister says it could lead to an accidental No Deal exit anyway.

same is said on E.U. side by Barnier …. looks like the are moving to a "Pontius Pilatus  solution"  washing their hands in innocence :whistling:

Edited by david555

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

I’d love to see the EU not grant May’s next extension. I though it would happen last time, but there seems to be much more EU anti UK rhetoric now. Fingers crossed, as Stephen Barclay the (current) Brexit Minister says it could lead to an accidental No Deal exit anyway.

Here is Mr Verhofstadt giving his latest rant about the extension, he ends up getting a standing ovation, well in all honesty 3 people mildly clapped.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Blocking Brexit on the UK side is all that matters. Are you honestly suggesting that Junker is going to just hand the Brits what they voted for on a silver platter after working steadfastly for three years to prevent it? Of course the EU will give an extension! They will grant extensions until Christ's return if that is what it takes to keep the UK in the EU. 

Yes I do …, because they see it would harm the E.U. more with present U.K. attitude …. compare it to have a very beautiful   woman in the house who give you al the time hell !

the ONLY way he would like you in , is whiteout any say or voting right, and paying contributions …(read = A50 as vasal status...???? ) is that so hard to understand ….finnaly it just becomes to checks an balances of a situation avoiding the worst case scenario , and they see now must cut loose U.K. 

So who...,on which side..., go show a white rabbit out of the hat …? Let' wait ….Brexit is fun once in a while :biggrin:

Edited by david555

Every English and Welsh region outside the M25 is happy to leave the European Union without a deal if no agreement can be reached by the end of next week.

The study by YouGov asked voters “if Britain has not agreed a deal by April 12th, what do you think should happen?”.

The research found that only people living in London did not want to leave without a deal.

In London 48 per cent of voters agreed that “Britain should withdraw our application to leave and remain in the EU” against 26pc who backed leaving without a deal.

The picture was reversed outside London however. In the rest of the South of England 44pc were in favour of no-deal against 34pc who wanted to revoke the decision to leave.

In the Midlands and Wales the proportion in favour of no-deal was 46pc – 31pc, and 41pc – 34pc in the North of England.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/03/english-welsh-voters-outside-m25-back-leaving-eu-immediately/

• Like 2