So when does the water throwing start?

Jingthing

15 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Only thing you can do is go out very early in morning shirt distances to store and back. It us a scorcher right now. Drink plenty if water and stay indoors, especially if older and wiser citizen.

Cheers Doc

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

there's no annual Songkran end of the world thread.

... Or one lamenting the waste of water, most likely written by someone who spends his mornings playing golf on a course that uses unimaginable quantities of water to keep their grass green and who spends his afternoons sitting at one of thousands of largely unused swimming pools at private homes or hotels.

• Haha 2

On 4/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, Jingthing said:

Don't get too comfortable!

Got a report that spritzing into trapped baht buses has ALREADY started on Soi Buokaow.  

Just got home from Triangle Bar on my bike, no liquids 

Edited by MadMuhammad

This is my first Songkran and trust me this wasn't by design.  Question - if I don't like a taxi driver quoting me 200 baht for going 1 km am I allowed to soak him with my super soaker?  Can anyone be soaked anywhere?  I'll be pretty pissed if I just bought a kebab on Soi Diana and some ladyboy throws a bucket of dirty water on it.  Just need to know the ground rules for Songkran.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:12 PM, steven100 said:

It will start around lunch time friday and usually runs for 4 days.

It better not start around noon on the 12th.  I have some things to do tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

This is my first Songkran and trust me this wasn't by design.  Question - if I don't like a taxi driver quoting me 200 baht for going 1 km am I allowed to soak him with my super soaker?  Can anyone be soaked anywhere?  I'll be pretty pissed if I just bought a kebab on Soi Diana and some ladyboy throws a bucket of dirty water on it.  Just need to know the ground rules for Songkran.

Whatever ground rules are supposedly on place go out of the window once the foreigners get on the juice for the day. E.g, not soaking people after dark...........yeah right. 

Cruised this morning got hit with water on Soi 8 and BR.

Many places setting up the large tubs in front of their businesses/bars getting ready.

Soi 8 looks like a potential major soak fest if that is something you enjoy.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, balo said:

Good, so I do not have to cancel my bicycle trip tomorrow.  Maybe also most of Friday will be dry . 

There's nothing like a good old water soaking on a hot bike ride. It's the only thing to like at this time of the year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Rule of thumb, keep away from beer bars and you are fine until 18th Naklua, 19th Pattaya.

How is this possible in Pattaya?

Random bars already throwing buckets around town.  

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I love all this confidence from locals about the end of the festivities coming on 19th.  Hate to be a harbinger of possible doom but Terminal 21 were handing out Songkran Festival leaflets yesterday publicising events from 12-21st April.  With the 19th being a Friday I can quite see the terror continuing for an extra 2 days. 

IMG_0345.jpg

I went dry today , walking down beach road from Naklua. I did not see anyone with a water gun, but I did not enter the bar area. I took a baht bus from S-Pattaya to Jomtien and I did notnsee any water activity. I am still in Jomtien and will return late afternoon. We'll see if I can arrive home without getting wet.

BTW , a lot of Thais has arrived from Bangkok and especially from Jomtien soi 7 to Soi Chaiyapruek it's a lot of traffic.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

I love all this confidence from locals about the end of the festivities coming on 19th.  Hate to be a harbinger of possible doom but Terminal 21 were handing out Songkran Festival leaflets yesterday publicising events from 12-21st April.  With the 19th being a Friday I can quite see the terror continuing for an extra 2 days. 

IMG_0345.jpg

Irrelevant. They're just trying to sell more stuff. The end is the 19th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

I went dry today , walking down beach road from Naklua. I did not see anyone with a water gun, but I did not enter the bar area. I took a baht bus from S-Pattaya to Jomtien and I did notnsee any water activity. I am still in Jomtien and will return late afternoon. We'll see if I can arrive home without getting wet.

I think the haydays of Songkran ended with the mass exodus of farangs. Today is the official day but even my kids won't bother, it's old news, been there, done that.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

There was a bar on the bend at Jomtien where 2nd rd & Trappaya meet that was throwing water at 5pm.

It had no customers but the bars nearby did & they were not throwing.

I also got sprayed by people driving by in their car out of their back passenger windows on soi 5 Pratamnak just afterwards.

I had intended to head into town for for food & watch the football but decided against it.

My regular bars just lost a little bit of business that they can't afford to lose.