Ex-immigration chief 'Big Joke' transferred to civil service

webfact

Ex-immigration chief transferred to civil service

1db6975981be202e90d1afed14fe11f7_small.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 April 2019 (NNT) – The announcement of the removal of Pol Lt Gen Surachet Hakpal from the position of Immigration Bureau Chief, to be based at the Royal Thai Police headquarters has been all over the news and has captured the general public’s attention over the past 4-5 days.

In the latest development, the Cabinet has adjusted the re-location of the former Immigration chief to be positioned as a civil servant in the Prime Minsiter’s Office, effective immediately as announced in the Royal Gazette.

The Royal Gazette’s website released a directive from the National Council for Peace and Order’s chief on additional positioning and rotation of civil servants based on articles 1 and 5 on the previous NCPO’s directive number 16/2558 dated 15 May 2013, on measures for government officials under ongoing investigation and temporary positioning management.

The directive says the NCPO has added the name of Pol Lt Gen Surachet Hakpal to the officials under investigation list, relieving him of his previous position as Immigration Bureau chief and salary, and transferring him to work at the Prime Minister’s Office as a high ranked executive civil servant and a special advisor to the Prime Minister’s Office.

The Prime Minister will inform His Majesty the King of this matter in connection with the release of royal appointment formalities. The transfer of Pol Lt Gen Surachet is effective immediately following the announcement of this order in the Royal Gazette today.

Prior to the announcement of this directive, the Assistant Government Spokesperson Col Thaksada Sangkhachan revealed to the news media that the Cabinet had already acknowledged the transfer order.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-11

there are still big opportunities for him for taking big bribes, as he was known to take in his previous service. He should be dismissed from police long time ago, but he is Pravit's man, so far had his protection. On order of junta investigation against him was stopped in 2016

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

And just like that, a cop who deed well and was good at his job, is removed, canned and relegated to be history now, it begs the question, what his replacement, or any other high ranking police will now do to avoid similar faith?...

Nothing of course.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Very much looks like Surachet became too powerful and influential to be tolerated any longer and that he might have stepped on somebody's toes a little too hard.

But then again, as chief of immigration he got himself involved in way too much policing and crime-busting business that clearly was not part of his assigned portfolio. Additionally, it may have irked some that he always put himself in the limelight so shamelessly with his flamboyant press conferences during which he appeared to take sole credit for pretty much every high-profile case uncovered in the recent past.

Not a good idea to be the tallest daisy in the field when the man with the sickle arrives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Are you joking? Under his tenure, 24 hour address reporting has been revived with foreigners taking the hit for aberrant landlords, a rewriting of extension rules is in place that's set to decimate many long stay retirees in the coming year (perhaps with families), airport denial on entry is at record levels regardless of people holding valid visas and meeting requirements, immigration procedures have become arbitrary and inconsistent across the country at a level never seen before, and all foreigners are considered as suspected criminals unless they can prove otherwise. 

We don't know that he is directly responsible for any of the new directives.....he wasn't even the top guy in immigration. Cut him some slack.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, londonthai said:

there are still big opportunities for him for taking big bribes, as he was known to take in his previous service. He should be dismissed from police long time ago, but he is Pravit's man, so far had his protection. On order of junta investigation against him was stopped in 2016

Please pass along any legitimate proof that Big Joke is/was taking bribes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaitero said:

So new PM has to be technically Civilian ? 

So maby he is a new compromise solution after election..

Prayut successfully argued before the EC that he was NOT a civil servant which would have otherwise to disqualified him as a PM candidate in the 2019 Election.

So how can Surachet become a "high ranked executive civil servant and special advisor to the Prime Minister's Office?"

Special advisors are not civil servants. The typical high ranked executive civil servant in Thailand is a Permanent Secretary of a Ministry.

Remember the words of the Bee Gees:

I started a joke which started the whole world crying
But I didn't see that the joke was on me oh no
I started to cry which started the whole world laughing
Oh If I'd only seen that the joke was on me

I looked at the skies running my hands over my eyes
And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said
'Till I finally died which started the whole world living
Oh if I'd only seen that the joke was on me

I looked at the skies running my hands over my eyes
And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said
'Till I finally died which started the whole world living
Oh if I'd only seen that the joke was on me
Oh no that the joke was on me

Just wondered if there is any relevance or prophetic connection?

'nuf sed.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Confirming the opinion that working hard, being successful and pushing new ideas isn't the way to progress in this authoritarian paradise. 

Hell that is no way to get ahead anywhere all they want is suckups and back clappers.