Card left in the ATM - do I need a police report?

The first thing is to report your card stolen and get it canceled. Report it to the nearest SCB you can find. Some one could possibly be honest and hand it in to a SCB BRANCH.

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT A POLICE REPORT FOR.  You cannot claim a refund if it is used as it was your fault leaving it.

6 minutes ago, shaurene said:

The first thing is to report your card stolen and get it canceled. Report it to the nearest SCB you can find. Some one could possibly be honest and hand it in to a SCB BRANCH.

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT A POLICE REPORT FOR.  You cannot claim a refund if it is used as it was your fault leaving it.

The machine ‘swallows’ your card up if you don’t remove it after a few seconds so unless someone uses the machine directly after you it doesn’t actually get stolen.

The banks in the UK use a ‘private contractor’ to operate the machines so will never return a card that has been ‘swallowed up’ although they will issue you with one free of charge. 

I am not sure who operates the machines in Thailand but they will not return a card which has been ‘swallowed up’ although unlike the UK they charge you for a new one.

Only on one occasion a few years ago when on holiday in Tenerife did a bank return my Debit Card when the machine ‘swallowed’ it.

Edited by Jumbo1968

6 minutes ago, shaurene said:

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT A POLICE REPORT FOR

There really is no need the SHOUT!!!!

I was simply asking for experience if the banks are asking for police reports for lost cards, like some immigration offices are asking for same if you lose a TM6 (most don't care).

Some SCB Q&As on SCB debit or credit card loss.  Doesn't address the issue of, is a police reported needed but I expect not.  In another area were they talk loss of your SCB credit card in a foreign country they recommend you get a police report.

I know when a Bangkok Bank ATM ate my Bangkok Bank Debit card a couple years ago I just went to my home branch and got a new one....no fee....no police report required.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/faq/card-faq.html

image.png.4f418b2a5cf482c9a9c9dc5d2745a534.png

image.png.32feaca87412f182a72bac4244e53d82.png

image.png.9dcf292d3b471c98a8859bc021fefaab.png

Last September I mislaid my ATM card .. and as I had used it in a machine the day before I went to the bank it was outside of, to enquire if they had it. It was not my bank.

They were a bit put out. They get many left each day they said.  It is on a busy corner of 2 busy roads.  The machines as a security feature devour the card after a time if left. But you all knew that. They opened the ATM and found 4 cards. Not mine though. 

They said they send the cards to the appropriate bank head office daily but I was not convinced they actually bother.  

I immediately went to my own bank .. they put a stop on the missing card. No money was missing and gave me a new card. Totally routine like they did it very often. It took a few minutes.

No dramas .. no Police report needed. The Police .. judging on 4 in one machine on one day (they said they open the machines daily) could not cope or be remotely interested.

But if money was missing I guess that would be a crime and a Police matter.

Edited by PAWNEESE

My original account was with Bangkok Bank in Patong Beach because of a timeshare I owned there. When I moved to Thailand I moved to Chiang Mai and opened another account here. A friend of mine could not get a bank account so I lent her the passbook and the card and gave her pin number to use as I did not need it. After a time we had a falling out so I reported the card and book lost to the call centre. Both were cancelled. I told her not to use the card but the first thing is she had to go try it, card taken. I then got  the passbook back from her and called the call centre to say I had found it. They told me I needed a police report. The account had less than 2000 in it so was not too worried. However sometime later I was on holiday in Patong Beach so I went to the bank branch account opened with the book and tried to close account and transfer balance to my main account. Part way through the process the teller said this has been reported lost. I said yes in moving house I had lost it and now found. Then I was told I needed police report. I asked what is there to report I lost book and found it? Bank policy police report needed. So I asked where I could go to do report. Reply was police station closest to where I reported lost. I said that is in Chiang Mai. Was informed that's where I had to go. A few choice words were said on my behalf as I exited the bank and account still exists (well maybe not as has been inactive a few years now.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shaurene said:

Maybe because the bank asked for it. Read my post #40.

Edited by Dazinoz

I left my debit card at a Bangkok Bank ATM at an out of the way 7-11 on a Sunday afternoon.  The following morning I went straight to the bank and told them what I had done.  They said, if the machine has been opened and the money replaced, your card will be destroyed by the workers.  However, we will find out if that's the case now.

They made a quick phone call, and told me the machine was due to be opened in a few hours, and that they flagged the workers, who delivered it to a bank office at Ruem Chok (don't know if the spelling's right there), and I had my card back in hand at 6:00 PM just before closing time.

And that's how you get your bank card back from the bank.  Oh, and save your receipts.  I did not save my receipt, and it made it more difficult to get all this done, but I did get it done.  Everyone was very helpful, from the people who ran the 7-11, to both branches of Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

That's in the west - its the opposite here thus everyone is conditioned to walk away once they've got their money - sadly the card is still there.

Few months back I found a card still in the ATM on the 'how much do you want to withdraw screen' - 30,000 there for the taking ! 

party time :drunk:

Cancel it ASAP. And always travel with three or four CCs / Debit card plus local cash card AND hard cash. The police are not usually an issue. As a rule of thumb ...never involve the cops in the 3rd world..they cant help, wont be interested just like in Europe...But its vital to report it to your bank ASAP

51 minutes ago, Dolmance said:

I left my debit card at a Bangkok Bank ATM at an out of the way 7-11 on a Sunday afternoon.  The following morning I went straight to the bank and told them what I had done.  They said, if the machine has been opened and the money replaced, your card will be destroyed by the workers.  However, we will find out if that's the case now.

They made a quick phone call, and told me the machine was due to be opened in a few hours, and that they flagged the workers, who delivered it to a bank office at Ruem Chok (don't know if the spelling's right there), and I had my card back in hand at 6:00 PM just before closing time.

And that's how you get your bank card back from the bank.  Oh, and save your receipts.  I did not save my receipt, and it made it more difficult to get all this done, but I did get it done.  Everyone was very helpful, from the people who ran the 7-11, to both branches of Bangkok Bank.

How many people caught sight of your card with all your details and the the 3 number code on the reverse before it was returned to you ?

All the information on the card can be used for online shopping maybe not now, if it was me I would have destroyed it and got new one.

13 hours ago, mikosan said:

Thailand catch up with the modern world.  That makes me laugh when in Australia it still takes over 24 hours to transfer money between two bank accounts, whereas in the UK, Thailand and probably most of the rest of the world, it is instantaneous and has been for a long time. In my opinion and judging from the findings in the recent Financial Services Royal Commission into misconduct in banking in Australia, I would say that it's Australia that has a long way to go to catch up. 

With regards to the question asked by the OP.  With my Kasikorn bank I simply go to my bank with my bank passbook and passport, cancel the old card I left in the ATM and I have done it a couple of times, pay a 200 baht fee and they issue me with a new card.  No police report required. I'm happy enough with that.

Maybe you need to catch up with what's happening in Australia. Most of my bank transfers are now instant or close to it, using the Osko system, which has been operating since some time last year. Not all banks are signed up to it yet, but most are. 

37 minutes ago, dundas said:

Maybe you need to catch up with what's happening in Australia. Most of my bank transfers are now instant or close to it, using the Osko system, which has been operating since some time last year. Not all banks are signed up to it yet, but most are. 

Australian's banking system was once described to me as "state of the art" when compared to the US

• Like 1

There is a lot of research and online discussion of what I now know is called "ATM task flow" all of which shows that the Thai model increases left cards.

I'm curious why Thailand adopted the task flow it did.  

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/23462/why-dont-atms-give-you-cash-before-your-card

http://uxmovement.com/thinking/preventing-user-errors-in-automated-teller-machines/

Edited by ricklev

Maybe an ATM mchine that keeps the card is cheaper than the alternative; an ATM machine that retracts forgotten money and records the retraction.  Or maybe reporting forgotten cash isn't possible on the bank shared software and modification is complex. 

On 4/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, ThaiBunny said:

... They have implemented PayWave at their ATMs so I just touch the ATM with my iPhone, it retrieves my Apple Pay details and asks for my PIN. No card required.  ...

Many Thai banks no offer "Cardless ATM". You can withdraw money at an ATM of the bank using the banking app on your smartphone without involvement of a third party, e.g. Apple Pay.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, JWRC said:

I made this mistake, went to the bank, who wouldn't do anything without a police report first. As with most things here. no one set rule, it will depend on your bank.

One or two times. My Bank made me get a police report once. Another time card snatched during business hours in front of my own home branch because I entered the wrong code. They would not retrieve it (policy). The only remedy buying a new card. Nice because I was able to dump Union Pay they had MasterCard then in stock.

Seriously how do people leave their cards in the ATM for whatever reason.  You walk to the ATM with one item your card....You leave the ATM with two namely the ATM card and cash.

I read this rubbish about the cash dispensed first and think are these people just simple. What does it matter for gods sake whatever comes out first its comedy gold.

It takes 30 seconds tops how can people become distracted

6 hours ago, ricklev said:

There is a lot of research and online discussion of what I now know is called "ATM task flow" all of which shows that the Thai model increases left cards.

I'm curious why Thailand adopted the task flow it did.  

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/23462/why-dont-atms-give-you-cash-before-your-card

lol as above what on earth does it matter !!  A 5 year old using an ATM would walk away with both cash and Card how is it adults can have such difficulty

I've had ATM cards sucked up by the machine more times than I care to admit and I always use them when I'm sober.  Sometimes it's because I get distracted counting the money and the time passes for grabbing the card and slurp, it's gone.  A couple times I just can't get it out because my fat little arthritic fingers are slippery with sweat or lotion and I just can't get it out of the machine it in time.  

Fortunately, I always use the ATM outside my home branch of Bangkok Bank or the one in our condo building, a stone's throw from the home branch.  Thus, I'm able to retrieve the card at the home branch.  Of late, Hubby has taken to getting the cash for us to avoid future drama.  His hand arthritis is worse than mine, so he just takes the passbook to the bank counter and asks for a cash withdrawal.  The nice staff people write the withdrawal slip for him. Problem solved for us old folks.

And no, I've never needed a police report to reclaim my ATM card.

26 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You do realise that you are now jinxed and will leave either the cash or your card (or both) in the machine next time you use one.

In XX years of using ATMs this was the only time I've left the card in the machine (had a couple eaten for various reasons mind). I have no idea what distracted me, to be honest I'm not entirely certain I left it in the machine but can't think of any other way I lost it.

Anyway, I need not have worried. Attended my home branch.  Passbook, passport, one photocopy, 4 signatures, two PIN entries, 20 minutes and 100 Baht later I have a shiny new MasterCard debit card and a 6 digit PIN to remember.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Seriously how do people leave their cards in the ATM for whatever reason.  You walk to the ATM with one item your card....You leave the ATM with two namely the ATM card and cash.

I read this rubbish about the cash dispensed first and think are these people just simple. What does it matter for gods sake whatever comes out first its comedy gold.

I wonder what it's like to be you ????

Must be awesome !!! 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

You ever pull a door and it won't open and then you see there is a sign that says push and you think that you made a stupid mistake?

I would bet you pulled instead of pushed because there was a handle on the door instead of a push plate.  Every good architect and designer knows that humans process information on the basis of certain kinds of cues.  

So when you pull instead of push it's as much a fault of the architect/designer as it is your fault. 

Edited by ricklev

Talking about workflows:-

UK :-  Card in => PIN => Cash amount => Card exit => Cash exit 

Thailand :- Card in => PIN => Cash amount => Cash exit => Card exit

Close enough that my brain works OK.

Then I go to the Philippines:-  Card in => Card out => Cash amount => PIN => Cash exit

(some machines have swipe readers so the card never leaves your hand)

Really threw me the first time.

17 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

How many people caught sight of your card with all your details and the the 3 number code on the reverse before it was returned to you ?

I write the 3 digit number down in a secure spot and scratch it from the back of the card. It is really only used for online purchases. No problems as yet.