Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Well started to pack ripped the jumper out of the frame and wooooo it's no 16 Travis Johnston wore it for a few years around that time number 1 draft pic fits me beautifully I might add he was off loaded to the Lions around 09..... leaving in a few days sad Sunday had begun...IMG_2869.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I will be a good sport to you after the power bundle you out next week funny guy...

Come on AlexRRR, If you give it out, like you have been all year, you've got to expect a bit back fella.

408222_a4376fcec59d1f4c153c2679c5e193df.jpg

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

The Tackle: Mark Robinson’s likes and dislikes from Round 23, 2017

1. Zach Merrett

Finals beckon for the Bombers but they wouldn’t be there if not for Zach Merrett. He sometimes misses out on the accolades dished upon Josh Kelly, Marcus Bontempelli, Christian Petracca and Jake Lever, but his numbers and impact are elite. This was finals or bust for the Bombers and Merrett delivered 32 disposals and four goals. It was a stirring game because Fremantle was up for the fight, although the romance for retiring greats Jobe Watson and James Kelly wasn’t the same as it was on Friday night. Still, the cheers were loud when Watson was carried from the ground at the final siren.

2. From so-called drug cheats to playing September

No one outside Essendon probably cares, but it is a sensational effort for the Bombers to play finals. The return of the suspended players, mixed with the remnants of last season’s patched-up senior team, put John Worsfold and his team in an unprecedented position. Would they gel? Could the returning group pick up the pieces? They were patchy at times, unlucky at other times, but they play football with real verve. Whether they stand up defensively is another issue, but for Bomber folk, finals is reward for four years of darkness.

3. So it begins
The Tigers’ season has been extraordinary, capped by a professional performance against St Kilda which earned them the double chance. Now they need to confront the bogeyman which haunts them in September. The double chance helps, but they still yet to win a final under Damien Hardwick. So much works for the Tigers. Intensity is high, forward 50m pressure is outstanding, Prestia is delivering, Townsend is a threat, they kick goals, Martin is a freak and, you know, Damien Hardwick could just be a genius depending on how you judge coaching. They can win it, the Tigers, because if they beat Geelong at the G, they get a home preliminary final at the G. Can’t wait.

4. Lewis Jetta and the Eagles

Sounds like a rock band and Jetta played like a rock star in the final quarter. His two run-down chases were outstanding, as were the Eagles who beat the top side to win a place in September. Talk about suspense. Eagles fans were delirious, Melbourne fans were heartbroken and the rest of us sat on the edge of the couch watching the percentage ladder move narrowly but decisively. Boy of boy, Jetta was superb, as was Jack Darling, and it was a fitting end to one of the best home-and-away seasons of all time.

5. Buddy Franklin

The footy world goes bananas when Buddy goes off, as he did with his 10 goals against Carlton. He is Exhibit A for what the game should strive to be, or at least regain. Bottleneck forward lines are what coaches want, yet everyone else wants to see big key forwards taking marks and kicking goals. Ablett, Dunstall, Lockett and Modra and, before them, Coleman, Coventry, Pratt and Wade, once did what Franklin did on Saturday every second or third week. Five goals now gets a best on ground. The AFL must introduce rules to help save full-forwards and if it’s starting positions at stoppages, then so be it. Games like Buddy’s are worth saving.

6. Sam Menegola

Not often you’d follow Buddy with Sam Menegola, but the Cats’ forward-sometime-midfielder has had a brilliant season. Against the might of the GWS midfield and defence, he had a career-high 34 disposals. He’s been one of the successful quiet changes in positions Chris Scott has made. Menegola played 57 per cent forward and 43 per cent midfielder against the Giants and created a record 17 inside-50s.

7. Emotional times

Wasn’t much to get excited about on Friday night — until the siren sounded. The Hawks and Dogs sent off Luke Hodge, Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd perfectly. It was hard not to have a lump in the throat. They were beautiful scenes. First Chris Judd and Luke Ball on the ground to interview Hodge. Then Bob and Boydy going to the cheer squad and both of them hugging the club doctors in the rooms and Bob with his daughter. It was magic. In the Hawks rooms after Hodge’s a lap of honor he took the kids into circle to sing the song and then to his presser. Everybody loved it, save for probably Sam Newman who would’ve thought it was too self-absorbing.

8. Can’t forget Jarryd Roughead

There’s no so such thing as the story of the season, but if there was, Roughead wins it. Kicked five goals and took 10 marks in Hodgey’s final game — and he would love that. Despite the Hawks not making the finals, naming Roughead as skipper was an inspired choice by Alastair Clarkson. Twelve months ago, Roughy was recovering from chemotherapy and then he played 22 games in 2017. What a lovely story. And best part? He got better as the season progressed.

9. Bucks in post-match

Singing by himself behind the players, hugging family and officials and once again being expansive and respectful to any question asked at the press conference, Nathan Buckley was all class. What did it all mean? Some of it felt like it was the end of the road, most of it felt like a coach completely in sync with his team and his future at the club. He’s become quite spiritual in the second half of the season. “We care for each other more than we have in the past,’’ he said. It sounded like a coach who has changed and who likes the change.

10. Drew Morphett

Terribly sad Saturday in the MCG radio boxes where Drew was widely acknowledged as a giant of broadcasting. Close friends such as Mark Maclure, Sandy Roberts and Tim Lane were solemn yet superb with their words. The feeling of utter sadness, however, was replaced with story after story of Drew’s warm-hearted character, his love of life and his love of a red wine. His wife, Kaz, wants a roast-type funeral ceremony which, according to Sandy, is just how Drew would like it.

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE

1. Oh Melbourne, what have you done?

Round 23 will burn in the soul until the Demons can play finals again. Won respect this year, but not enough games, and in the end, they simply weren’t good enough. They were to decide if they played finals this year and Collingwood, and then West Coast, decided for them. Had injury, suspension and consistency problems throughout the season but, still, all they had to do was beat a young Collingwood team. They couldn’t. The only positive is Simon Goodwin can use it as a teaching tool and the players use it as a motivation tool. Their mantra this year was “fearless football’’, but there was nothing fearless about their footy on Saturday.

2. That first quarter will haunt them

Let’s try to imagine the pre-match. Goodwin finalises the strategy, how they want to play, how Collingwood will play and, probably, stresses the need to start with menace and authority. It was anything but. The Demons were emotionally feeble and while we all saw it, the numbers told the tale. They lost the lost contested footy by 11, laid just nine tackles and recorded a pressure factor of 164 when they rank No.1 for the season with an average of 185. At the death, 30 minutes of footy cost them a potential month of September.

3. St Kilda

As Alan Richardson noted recently, his team is not good enough or consistent enough and we saw that again in the final round. Deplorable early, worse in the second quarter, the better team in the third quarter, and the fourth quarter meant nothing. The Saints are average to good but not great in most areas other than their pressure. Need to work on their defensive game — they allowed eight 100-plus scores against this season — and need more class forward of centre. The pressure next year to play in September will be fierce.

4. Gazza debacle

A week ago it was getting ugly and a week later Gaz hides behind a van and gallops away from the cameras at his final training session at the Suns. It’s not an ideal time for him because he wants out and back to Geelong, but a few quiet words with the media instead of bolting would have taken some of the heat out of the commentary. What a mess.

5. My Kingdom for a forward line

The review at the Bulldogs will uncover many areas in need of improvement, particularly personnel. There are questions for Tom Liberatore and Jake Stringer and where they think their football is heading, and little things like why Luke Dahlhaus goes to ground so often. There’s one area of the ground, however, which needs urgent attention. The Bulldogs generated a goal from just 21.6 per cent of their inside-50s the season (ranked 18th). It was a stunning return and the question is: Is it delivery into the forward 50m or the personnel which roams the forward 50m? The answer is probably both.

6. Tanking discussions

North Melbourne was supposed to be tanking and was supposed to lose to Brisbane to gain the No.1 pick. Well, that debate is over. Clearly no one told Trent Dumont. This has been his breakout season. Has played 19 games and has improved his output in disposals, contested possessions, clearances and pressure acts. He’s almost the perfect run-with player. Played on Dayne Beams for 36 minutes, according to Champion Data, and the Brisbane skipper had just six disposals to Dumont’s eight. Finished with 26 touches and a game-high 15 contested possessions. He will be a mainstay in the Kangas’ midfield next year, if he isn’t already.

7. GWS midfield

The midfield pack wouldn’t be able to look the alpha male (Callan Ward) in the eye after the game. Dylan Shiel (24 disposals), Josh Kelly (23), Lachie Whitfield (18), Steve Coniglio (18) and Tom Scully (13), were embarrassed against Patrick Dangerfield and his lower-profile teammates in Menegola, Mitch Duncan and Scott Selwood. The Giants didn’t want it enough. If not for Ward, the margin would have been five goals. Add that Shane Mumford was beaten by Zac Smith and concerns at the back about the impact of Heath Shaw and the urgency of Adam Tomlinson, and no wonder the Cats were too strong.

8. What happens with Stevie J?

Another poor game, this time on the ground he knew so well. Coach Leon Cameron has a huge selection dilemma. Just as it is at Collingwood with coach Nathan Buckley, it will be a leap of faith at the Giants. Johnson can’t find the ball, can’t kick goals and the defensive side of his game — and he’s not alone there — is under scrutiny. Who would have thought it might be between the defensive Matt De Boer and the legendary Johnson for a forward flank in a final.

9. Gold Coast Suns

This was not cue in the rack stuff, this was a club on its knees. Devoid of confidence, young and the end of season in touching distance, the Suns had no edge or spirit in their performance. They created records — they kicked just 3.2 — and it’s a worry. If the same thing happens in 12 months under the new coach, the worry is a full-blown crisis. Why should Tommy Lynch stay? He was drafted to the new franchise and, if he stays, could play his whole career in a team which rebuilds after rebuilds.

10. Blues and Lions

Belted at the end and there’s accusations they haven’t improved. Don’t agree with that assessment. Both teams continue to blood youngsters. The Blues will have to improve their ball movement and goal kicking, but they do have Charlie Curnow. The Lions won the spoon, but they have to be the best 18th-ranked team we’ve seen for a long while. Bring on 2018 for both teams.

In sensational news this morning......coming just below the headline story that CBS USA will buy the 10 network Nathan Buckley resigned for 2 more years....yes folks you heard it here first in Thailand...Geoff Walsh the man leading the review of the club and  well known for hanging on to coaches that Ed made sure to hire rubber ducked the stamp on Nathan, well to be totally honest the blond bombshell has handled himself very well all season long and I do admire him for that, killed of the Dee's dream on Saturday with  polish remover and made us look pretty ordinary, wasn't to hard to do as they were looking like the season had gone on 6 weeks to long for them anyway...

Big questions over GWS and the Crows, Eagles can they win 4 in a row? hardly not dear WILL...who are the outstanding teams in the Finals this year? Blow me down with a feather I don't see one though I lean towards the Swans only because there a hardened finals team with close enough to the best win loss ratio of the last 14 weeks I guess.....

The Dee's....gee's Goods gonna have to get the knife out a few posers in there, in need a of defender big time, Big Mac is a clanger happy defender did it again on the weekend, if there to keep him his role is a big power marking forward which he has shown he can do...Watts out of sorts best came when played around the middle half back a mobile on the ball type resting on the half forward line, Bugg....was nice knowing you getting rubbed out for 6 and still not making the finals.....well...by by...Vince.....Bernie stop playing the man your a far better ball player than that a key who should get more on ball time...N Jones should be the sole captain, leads by example is a high quality mid my man Jack your time is close but not yet, not like your old man just yet, a few fringe players who don't get enough of the ball or make it count when they do....43 stands out in this area, got caught a lot as the shoulders expanded the legs got shorter and caught far to often, do we have any wingers? 

The 2 Bomber pick ups were outstanding for us and id hate to think how good had they and Carlile be if still over at Windy Hill...Frost and little Mac came of age though Frost wasn't selected last few weeks, quick and tall possible back bones of the defence next 7 or 8 years....in a nutshell what seemed to be missing was a tall forward in reality we didn't have many smart flankers either forward or in defense that could cut the game open when we need it...

Saints....if Nostrochooks is right a new coach might be whats needed, going now where fast with a tight comp now mightn't take much to move from 10th to 3rd in the modern era....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Come on AlexRRR, If you give it out, like you have been all year, you've got to expect a bit back fella.

408222_a4376fcec59d1f4c153c2679c5e193df.jpg

Dust in thy eye up there? I take it....dont you worry about a think dear WILLIAM...Im a good sport....Glad the Eagles WILL cop the pounding by Port next week that was reserved for us....By the way Cam is off contract and coming off his best season ever....only 30 right now and can get for free......

4. Lewis Jetta and the Eagles

Sounds like a rock band and Jetta played like a rock star in the final quarter. His two run-down chases were outstanding, as were the Eagles who beat the top side to win a place in September. Talk about suspense. Eagles fans were delirious, Melbourne fans were heartbroken and the rest of us sat on the edge of the couch watching the percentage ladder move narrowly but decisively. Boy of boy, Jetta was superb, as was Jack Darling, and it was a fitting end to one of the best home-and-away seasons of all time.

Yep and it says a lot about the Crows, says a lot about the Eagles too, I'm one Demon fan not to heart broken as mentioned before the North game in Tassie was a must win then all was on the last game of the season, just not mature enough as a group yet. 

. Gazza debacle

A week ago it was getting ugly and a week later Gaz hides behind a van and gallops away from the cameras at his final training session at the Suns. It’s not an ideal time for him because he wants out and back to Geelong, but a few quiet words with the media instead of bolting would have taken some of the heat out of the commentary. What a mess.

Knows what a good team is like, no trade will retire should anyway he is gone, made a packet not his fault even Rod was sucked in....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Dust in thy eye up there? I take it....dont you worry about a think dear WILLIAM...Im a good sport....Glad the Eagles WILL cop the pounding by Port next week that was reserved for us....By the way Cam is off contract and coming off his best season ever....only 30 right now and can get for free......

If you were a good sport, you wouldn't be hoping the Eagles lose.

I'm not glad that Melbourne missed out just to piss you off, I'm just glad that WC are in.

If Melbourne were playing Collingwood for example, I'd be hoping that your guys win it for you.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

If you were a good sport, you wouldn't be hoping the Eagles lose.

I'm not glad that Melbourne missed out just to piss you off, I'm just glad that WC are in.
If Melbourne were playing Collingwood for example, I'd be hoping that your guys win it for you.

Omg you shock me.... I'm not down on the eagles I just don't rate them highly at the moment... don't think much of the Dee's either.... or North, and about 10 others..... they might get over port as there all over the place to be totally honest the eagles are more likely to put up a better show than us, the Dee's thought the season stoped at round 18........

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

A lot of cries from the catery, Richmond get the home final even tho finishing below Geelong. 

I can see where the Cats supporters are coming from, but I don't think you can prevent 50 000 or so people

from going to the game.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

I can see where the Cats supporters are coming from, but I don't think you can prevent 50 000 or so people

from going to the game.

That's the problem when boutique stadiums are introduced.

However to put in perspective will the Swans get a bigger crowd.

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

That's the problem when boutique stadiums are introduced.

However to put in perspective will the Swans get a bigger crowd.

I think the SCG holds in the mid fifties.

And the Sydney sides don't have the drawing power of Richmond.

Plus, I think Geelong play the Gee 5 or 6 times per year anway so

it's not like they don't play there.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

I think at the end of the day the supporters are being screwed when you win the right to a home final.

It's only 10,000 less than the SCG and more than the Eagles got for the epic clash against Adelaide in the last round.

The AFL can't take it all,they do it already with the GF  with not enough seats for the teams supporters.

But they have.:smile: 

Edited by farmerjo

Did a quick tally up and Congratulations to RON :partytime2: on winning the Long Range Tipping Comp.

Ron 126

Farmerjo 125

Optad 124

Rip 122

Alex 120

Gazman 115

Thanks to Optad for organising it and hope he will be back next season. 

• Like 2

Brad Scott at North till the end of 2020.:passifier:

He will end up with a gold watch,just hope there's a few flags in there.

Having our own 2nd's team next year is a step in the right direction.

If we could pick up Martin or Kelly and say Allir from the Swans to improve Madjak's game things are on the up.

Next year my crystal ball says 9th or 10th.:smile:

• Like 2

On 29/08/2017 at 1:40 PM, Radar501 said:

Victoria's regional railway network, V-Line, operates scheduled trains between Geelong and Melbourne.   When the Cats play at the MCG, a special service runs from Geelong Station direct to Richmond Station, and return.  Time taken would probably be sub 60 minutes.

Richmond Station is only a Tom Hawkins punt kick to the Punt Road end of the G.

I checked V-Line's website today, but it must be too early for details of the upcoming service to be announced.

https://www.vline.com.au/Timetables/Additional-pages/Getting-to-the-grounds

Despite popular views, Punt Road was not named after a type of football kick.   A thousand years ago, or something like that, the cow track that ran past the MCG terminated at the Yarra River.   Back then, there was no bridge over the river, and a punt was used to get folk across the water.   There ya go.

The First Punt.jpg

For the folk out west of AU.....public transport equals that of BKK...though its car culture in Melbourne plenty of parking options as well...

Not sure why the Cats are carrying on, other than they obviously make lots of mula from a home game as all clubs would expect to, not to worry,  you could expect capacity to expand if they can get bums on seats, in Melbourne thats a flawed idea with 10 clubs here....the normal merry go round has started again, ground sharing along with the demise of the reserves was seen as the "way to go" once,  as I've always stated the AFL havent got a clue.....