Songkran drink driving: 202 vehicles seized on first day

rooster59

Drink driving/riding you should automatically gets 6 months in the local barracks... attitude adjustment.

Should be enough time to dry-out & think about your actions!

Cause an accident without injuries it should be a year.

Injure or kill anyone it should be attempted manslaughter or actual manslaughter charges !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, Old Man River said:

Take the cell phones in use away.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

How about taking away the cell phones from all police at roadside checkpoints and they may actually start doing their job.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Day 2

Vehicles 202 : Fatalities 105

BiB need to pull their finger out. ????

Which is less than the WHO figures of ~24300 road deaths per year in Thailand... 

Which is 67 per day.... 

Over the 2 days that’s 29 less than the national yearly average... 

Is Songkran Safer??????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which is less than the WHO figures of ~24300 road deaths per year in Thailand... 

Which is 67 per day.... 

Is Songkran Safer??????

Yes. And this is not a one off either. It's happened every Songkran for the last 5 years that I've been here. Interesting topic for speculation as to why that is so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which is 67 per day.... 

Is Songkran Safer??????

Is not the 105 confirmed dead a scene, I would say another 210 DOA and died or will die due their injuries.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, rooster59 said:

Songkran drink driving: 202 vehicles seized on first day

Only 202. Just image how many they would have got had they stepped outside their roadside tents.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There needs to be a complete cultural shift in attitudes towards drink driving. 

I don’t know any Thai male who doesn’t drink drive. 

Just last night we were at my friends house drinking with 7 Thai men. Each respected in their positions - each drinking, each driving. 

We even had the drink driving discussion... the response is always the same that they would drive carefully and slowly.

Until it becomes the norm that society genuinely finds drink drivers socially and morally wrong there will be little change. As it stands the majority of the population simply doesn’t care about drinking and driving, they never expect anything could happen to them.

yeah and worst thing is many of these drunks are driving taxis, motorbike taxis, boats, etc.

If the Police actually caught 202 drink drivers, then its fair to assume that this figure is only probably 10% or less of the actual number who were drink driving and were not caught.

Horrendous thought that there were at least 2,020 ( MIN )  people out there drink driving on just one day.

• Like 1

There needs to be a complete cultural shift in attitudes towards drink driving. 

I don’t know any Thai male who doesn’t drink drive. 

Just last night we were at my friends house drinking with 7 Thai men. Each respected in their positions - each drinking, each driving. 
We even had the drink driving discussion... the response is always the same that they would drive carefully and slowly.

Until it becomes the norm that society genuinely finds drink drivers socially and morally wrong there will be little change. As it stands the majority of the population simply doesn’t care about drinking and driving, they never expect anything could happen to them.

You mention Thai males. You do not know any foreigners who drink and drive?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app