Went to the waterfalls for Songkran but only Thais get in free, not foreigners.

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Have you guys lost your marbles...?

Many countries have free access to their attractions for their citizens yet charge foreigners (tourists) including Japan & NZ

Stop Thai bashing , just pay the 200 Bht & keep your blood pressure under control

I know its an incredibly technical subject and is clearly just too difficult for some to get their head around, I'll try to put it in simple words....

These other countries mentioned offer residents of any nationality a residents rate.

If you are unable to understand the difference between a National and a Resident - then I'd agree, just sit back, enjoy the ignorance of a simple life and keep the blood pressure under control. 

10 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Have you guys lost your marbles...?

Many countries have free access to their attractions for their citizens yet charge foreigners (tourists) including Japan & NZ

Stop Thai bashing , just pay the 200 Bht & keep your blood pressure under control

A tenfold surcharge .please say where!!!!

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I've got one, didn't help a bit. 

A fact that you know very well.

If you had a Thai ID card you would get the Thai price

You probably got a non-Thai ID card, which is basically the opposite of a Thai ID card because it shows that you are a foreigner and supposed to pay the foreigner price

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:
15 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I've got one, didn't help a bit. 

A fact that you know very well.

You probably got a non-Thai ID card, which is basically the opposite of a Thai ID card because it shows that you are a foreigner and supposed to pay the foreigner price

Oh dear... the same rubbish is being regurgitated by folk, who, 31 pages into a thread think they have the answer but instead presenting the same rubbish posted in the first few pages... 

"Foreigners regardless of their official Status in Thailand are obliged to pay the foreign price"

The Chief of Tourism Promotion office of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, Wanlapha Yuttiwong :

•     She insisted, stipulate that foreigners, regardless of their official status in Thailand, are obliged to pay the foreign price.
  •     Foreigners even do not qualify for free entry if under 3 or over 60 years of age.

•     Asked why she thought the fees were so high, Ms Wanlapha remarked “We don’t get enough budget from the government to maintain the parks, and lately the number of foreign visitors to national parks has declined.”

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

It took me a little time to find it, but for those interested the my stonehenge example:-

A nice example but it is a true localized thing for those living near the attractions, I would say that is acceptable. And if that is practized here in Thailand. I will accept that too.

Great for the shepherds and their sheeps, local childrens and schools.

People from London pay the tickets as they are not local to the stones.

The same practize is done everywhere on the world.

Back at home I had a city-discount for the Zoo as I was living in the city of the Zoo, I ended up with a unlimited entry for a year, and visited every day on the way back to home from work.

For other Zoos in other citys I have had to pay the regular price. Fair.

In this thread, it is about nationalism, citizen, non citizen and visitors and the line between them.

If the National Parks has the same fees for both nationals and non-nationals, I even grant the locals ner these parks, free access to the National Parks as it is their area.

And many could even donate to these park if they want and which is really not unthinkable.

Rgds,

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, richard_smith237 said:

When did you last go to a National Park and pay the Thai Price, which park was it ?

For me the last park was Koh Samet, in Nov 2018 - I was charged the Foreigner Price.

It was about 8 or so years ago when I last got away with paying the Thai Price with a Thai DL. 

It may be that the quieter National Parks are more flexible with the charge which explains the differences. 

It was Khao Yai in 2013 I believe.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:02 AM, uhuh said:

Are you a factory worker?

Foreigners don't earn "quite a lot more money than the Thais do" in a similar job. Foreigners just like to think so. And foreigners like to compare the amount written on the pay slip, they forget all formal and informal perks a Thai has (like free health care for the parents, side line businesses not open to foreigners, tea money).

(BTW the times a factory worker makes 8000 are more than 10 years gone.

It is approaching 20000 nowadays. ) 

Ok. The Thai English teachers at my old school got 8000 a month until Thailand raised the minimum wage for people with a university degree to 15000. They were at school 8 hours a day. I taught 20 hours a week and got 35000 a month. That’s considerably more. Anyone without a university degree might make 10000 if they’re lucky.

11 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I usually pay the Foreign price then tip them just to piss off the tight wads. 

Edit. Not tight apologies, principled. 

Tip them all you like...  Pay the Foreign price, smile when you are over charged, leave big tips...  I'm sure they all love you long time....    

..... Meanwhile the principled types join in with the Thai's laughing at you behind your back.

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Tip them all you like...  Pay the Foreign price, smile when you are over charged, leave big tips...  I'm sure they all love you long time....    

..... Meanwhile the principled types join in with the Thai's laughing at you behind your back.

They can laugh all they like, it’s nice to see people happy. I’m inside with the kids who are also laughing and having fun. 

You're outside with your principles and miserable kids. Go figure. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

So now its no longer about the dual pricing right or wrong, it is about how a handful of expats are managing to get into parks without paying the surcharge?

Seems to be a very egocentric standpoint.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, stevenl said:

"management makes no good use of the money as seen by the damage sustained by these parks."

There been a real change in the past years. The money from these marine parks is used to protect the marine life, and the general situation has improved considerably.

It most certainly has not improved the parks at all are you unaware of the danage issues and the fact thry are now legislating retroactively to reduce numbers as well as closing some areas.??

On 4/15/2019 at 12:19 PM, donim said:

No wonder.

For HKT:

Sweden left together with the peace,

Russian came and they don't giving a 'stool' about others with high level of xenofobia.

Except Garage54 and The riotting cats. ????

For that article at Nation

"Quoting the Tourism Department"

????

Anyway, tourism is not about foreigners. It consist of foreigners AND thais.

These numbers says nothing but better welfare with Thai people.

Nonsense, they break down the numbers into Thai and foreigner, and they remain at 2/3 Thai and 1/3 foreigner, both increased and are the result of increased disposable income in Thailand and also increased foreign visitor numbers.

12 hours ago, luis888 said:

I don't need anyone to make me feel better, as far as I'm concerned dual pricing is wrong, plain and simple. I've been charged more for a haircut just because I'm a foreigner. Is that so that the poor Thais can also have a haircut? Sure there's many locals that can't afford certain things, that is the same all over the world. Many foreigners work very hard the whole year so that they can have a week or two holiday in another country, to experience different cultures. This subject has been discussed so much and it'll never end. There are those that feel it's fine to take advantage of the foreigner and those like me that feel that the foreigner already does a lot for the economy just by coming here and deserves a brake and a "thank you" for generating billions of Baht every year. Not a kick in the arse and get screwed everywhere possible. This goes for any country that does or supports this type of thing.

Please, spare us the sob story, you are not hard done by, you are entitled.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh dear... the same rubbish is being regurgitated by folk, who, 31 pages into a thread think they have the answer but instead presenting the same rubbish posted in the first few pages... 

"Foreigners regardless of their official Status in Thailand are obliged to pay the foreign price"

Very simple stuff, you are not considered a foreigner if you apply for residency and then get a Thai ID card.

Many places write the Thai price at the gate in Thai numbers, foreigners are not supposed to see they pay more (the same does the English restaurant menu mentioned by another poster, different menus for different folks; many hospital websites do this too)

That's because Thais know very well how insulting double pricing is.

They would laugh about the Thai apologetics at TVF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, uhuh said:

Many places write the Thai price at the gate in Thai numbers, foreigners are not supposed to see they pay more (the same does the English restaurant menu mentioned by another poster, different menus for different folks; many hospital websites do this too)

That's because Thais know very well how insulting double pricing is.

They would laugh about the Thai apologetics at TVF.

Did you not realize that it was Thai's who made the dual pricing system?

I have no issue paying slightly more, eg - 80b instead of 40b.

What I do have a real annoyance to is some of the places charging 8 or more times the price. I was in Ayutthaya last year and was forced to pay 320b for a ticket to 4 or 5 of the temples when my wife paid just 40b. They rudely wouldn't accept my WP, DL or even my wife showing her Thai ID with my surname added on it.

I pay about 13,000b / month in tax so over the course of a year that is 156,000b Thailand gets from me working here. I am not expecting hordes of gratitude, but being treated fairly would be appreciated, as would an entry line at airports for people working here (like many other countries) and not being forced to queue with the hordes of tourists at immigration. 

You can get a fast track letter which allows you to use the priority lane at immigration at the same time as you extend your WP each year or you can apply online
Your Thai HR colleagues at your company should be able to do this for you
Email [email protected] for details

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, uhuh said:

These are interesting figures that certainly support your argument ( but you talk about fees for tourists,  which is not what this thread is mainly about).

May I ask where you get these figures from and what kind of "parks" they refer to? (I suspect it is Koh Samet, Similan and similar tourist traps, sorry, attractions... but I really don't know)

The figures are in a link a few pages back, it refers to the the parks which charge, there are only about 20 out of some 110 ish national parks which do charge, the rest are free  Overall, at fee paying parks, the numbers have doubled in less than 10 years raising an extra 2 billion baht.

38 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The figures are in a link a few pages back, it refers to the the parks which charge, there are only about 20 out of some 110 ish national parks which do charge, the rest are free  Overall, at fee paying parks, the numbers have doubled in less than 10 years raising an extra 2 billion baht. 

Some of your numbers are wrong, and when looking at the official numbers there are some numbers which don't make sense: http://www.dnp.go.th/statistics/2560/stat2560.asp

2007 there were 12 million visitors, in 2017 it were 18 million, so they didn't double, but increase by 50%

But the 2007 statistic counted only 61 national parks, while the 2017 statistic counts 129 national parks. For example the national park with the most visitors, Phi Phi, shows up in these statistics the first time in 2014, but probably it existed before.

If somebody here is bored he can count the number of visitors in 2017 to the parks which were counted in the 2007 statistic. Probably this will show more something like a 25% increase in visitors over 10 years.

Then we can look at the revenue of the national parks, which just doesn't make much sense.

From 2007 starting at 500 million, it slightly increased to 700 million in 2014, and then 900 million in 2015 (fees were increased beginning of 2015), 2 billion in 2016 and 2.4 billion in 2017.

You might now think this is because the earlier statistic only included 61 parks and not all 129 parks, as i said before. But since at least 2013 these statistics include 129 national parks.

So at least i wonder where these numbers come from and if they are in any way real, because from 900 million in 2015 to 2.4 billion over 3 years, while only having a slight increase in visitor numbers just doesn't make sense. Did the TAT need some impressive numbers and the department of national parks delivered?