Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 hours ago, yodsak said:

2124125783_ScreenShot2019-11-30at13_49_39.png.b2025103ce92fa7e1f8434ba270fbd97.png

Religion has also evolved from one center of earth to everywhere, and easy to see the same structure and simular beginning, good and bad as heaven and hell! Everyone also have benefits if you stay true, or penalties if not! 

Hope we never meet any aliens, god sake ☃️ 

7 hours ago, Chazar said:

No gods, I'd  listen to Jim all day

Thanks... Awesome video & what a crime against humanity that the Judeo-Christian based laws at that time robbed the world of the talent that Turin was - He (41) was just getting into his stride, can you imagine what he'd have achieved if he'd been allowed to live his life without the "Instruction Book" (Bible) interference - Or maybe it was God's plan for him to not move the world forward.

Curious @CMNightRider on your views on this... Do you subscribe to Leviticus 18 & 20 

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." Chapter 18 verse 22. "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." Chapter 20 verse 13....

So what happened to a brilliant man was just?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm as "Straight" as they come so have no dog in the sexual preference fight, just  an admirer of Turin since I embarked on my career in IT (spent the 1st 3 years working in a building named after him) & it sickens me to know how/why his life ended

Edited by Mike Teavee

Seems like it's not possible to hold a decent conversation about real spirituality, so it's now back to the easy target of religion. Yawn

Zero response to the neuro-scientist who had a stroke and had a spiritual revelation, minimal response to the prominent scientists quotes that showed that science and spirituality are not mutual exclusives. 
I get it, radical materialists and intellectually deficient sceptics don't have the tools to explore such topics (apart from holding up a red card) so they conveniently blank them out, but imo, these are the subjects worth investigating because they can bridge the gap that divides material science from spiritual science.
They have been one and the same for thousands of years, separated during the age of enlightenment (very ironic actually ????) and I'm certain, will unify again in the future.

The only way to get to the Truth is to walk towards each other and start an honest dialog, and in this respect I would like to thank @VincentRJ, @canuckamuck, @thaibeachlovers and @mauGR1 who have kept this thread interesting and on a high level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks... Awesome video & what a crime against humanity that the Judeo-Christian based laws at that time robbed the world of the talent that Turin was - He (41) was just getting into his stride, can you imagine what he'd have achieved if he'd been allowed to live his life without the "Instruction Book" (Bible) interference - Or maybe it was God's plan for him to not move the world forward.

Curious @CMNightRider on your views on this... Do you subscribe to Leviticus 18 & 20 

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." Chapter 18 verse 22. "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." Chapter 20 verse 13....

So what happened to a brilliant man was just?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm as "Straight" as they come so have no dog in the sexual preference fight, just  an admirer of Turin since I embarked on my career in IT (spent the 1st 3 years working in a building named after him) & it sickens me to know how/why his life ended

I believe every word in the Bible is the word of God, and I believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.  I feel sorry for those who can't seem to figure this out but I don't loose any sleep over it.  

As far as the gender confusion issue, common sense should tell people who participate in this sort of behavior, they have serious mental problems but I don't loose any sleep over that either.

I do know for a fact, people have until they take their last breath to get right with God and accept Jesus Christ as their savior.  After that it is a done deal.  Non-believers can laugh about this and be in denial over it until the cows come home but those who do this will have eternity to regret their actions.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I believe every word in the Bible is the word of God, and I believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.  I feel sorry for those who can't seem to figure this out but I don't loose any sleep over it.  

As far as the gender confusion issue, common sense should tell people who participate in this sort of behavior, they have serious mental problems but I don't loose any sleep over that either.

I do know for a fact, people have until they take their last breath to get right with God and accept Jesus Christ as their savior.  After that it is a done deal.  Non-believers can laugh about this and be in denial over it until the cows come home but those who do this will have eternity to regret their actions.  

Why is it so absolute? Or would i say as I prefer, inabsolute! Should be at least one try one fail ok, second w t f, , and third go to hell!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I honestly feel pity for you...

Can I ask what you would do if your Son came to you one day & said "Dad, I'm Gay"???

I know my father took it hard when my brother came out, his words to my Mum were what was I (Big brother) going to think about it

My words were "It just leaves more rampant totty for us real men", which is a quote from Blackadder & a joke I knew would help my BROTHER to feel at ease during a very stressful time for him

If that's your "God" you're welcome to him mate.... He's no friend of mine

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I honestly feel pity for you...

Can I ask what you would do if your Son came to you one day & said "Dad, I'm Gay"???

I know my father took it hard when my brother came out, his words to my Mum were what was I (Big brother) going to think about it

My words were "It just leaves more rampant totty for us real men", which is a quote from Blackadder & a joke I knew would help my BROTHER to feel at ease during a very stressful time for him

If that's your "God" you're welcome to him mate.... He's no friend of mine

I encourage you to watch this 

and get a real perspective on life... 

There's none so blind as though that does not want to see (If that's not in your "Book" it's me, MTV C!, V1 here enduff the sermon  :)) 

Edited by Mike Teavee

28 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

There's none so blind as though that does not want to see (If that's not in your "Book" it's me, MTV C!, V1 here enduff the sermon  :)) 

Nobody cares about watching videos here, there is youtube for that, but i encourage you to say what do you think, well, if you can, of course.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The Roman Catholic Church is basically unbiblical and is not a good example of what is in the Bible.  As far as your comment about having pity on me, save all that for your brother and any of your friends who are into man love.  

Instead of wasting your time viewing videos of people who don't believe the Bible is the word of God, and those who reject Jesus as their savior, just read the King James Version of the Bible written in plain English.  It takes the average reader with a sixth grade education about 72 hours to read the Bible.  It may take you a little longer but will be worth your time.  

In addition, it might be a good idea to take an English writting course. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Nobody cares about watching videos here, there is youtube for that, but i encourage you to say what do you think, well, if you can, of course.

Are you having a giraffe Muppet???

So far I've been polite when replying to your posts, let's leave it there before I "Upset you" with what I can say.

[Deep breath... do not say, fckin Muppet]... 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The Roman Catholic Church is basically unbiblical and is not a good example of what is in the Bible.  As far as your comment about having pity on me, save all that for your brother and any of your friends who are into man love.  

Instead of wasting your time viewing videos of people who don't believe the Bible is the word of God, and those who reject Jesus as their savior, just read the King James Version of the Bible written in plain English.  It takes the average reader with a sixth grade education about 72 hours to read the Bible.  It may take you a little longer but will be worth your time.  

You sad little man, wasting your life believing in <deleted> & denying that your god loves everybody (Including Gays)...

SAD... SAD... SAD... Little man

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Are you having a giraffe Muppet???

So far I've been polite when replying to your posts, let's leave it there before I "Upset you" with what I can say.

[Deep breath... do not say, fckin Muppet]... 

As expected, you have nothing to say except insults.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Sorry... as an aside, care to pick up on my English literacy (Have A levels in Lang & Litt),,, 

Don't open the flood gates of the grammar police

Edit... OK I typed Though instead of those.... Sue me... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yeah right... I'm the one throwing insults... 

Yep, and commenting with sad little faces on other people's posts, without saying anything pertinent to the topic.

It does say something about you and your culture :whistling:

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, and commenting with sad little faces on other people's posts, without saying anything pertinent to the topic.

It does say something about you and your culture :whistling:

I've made my comments, you know my opinion & I feel I've been very polite up to the point where somebody tells me my brother is going to hell because he's gay.... Can I ask what you would do if that was your brother? Or your son (Had to live through it with my father who's an ex-rugby league player, made his living by being "a man")

You know nothing about me or my culture so please don't try to comment on it

As I've said, I've been very polite in my replies here (save getting a little riled about the "Gay" convo), I've appreciated your replies on this thread & for what it's worth I think we're in agreement (There's something there but it's not in the "Book"... favourite scene from a movie is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where the opening scene is something like they find the 1st page of the bible & All persons within are fictional)

Peace Out my friend, have a blessed Sunday ????

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've made my comments, you know my opinion & I feel I've been very polite up to the point where somebody tells me my brother is going to hell because he's gay.... Can I ask what you would do if that was your brother? Or your son (Had to live through it with my father who's an ex-rugby league player, made his living by being "a man")

You know nothing about me or my culture so please don't try to comment on it

As I've said, I've been very polite in my replies here (save getting a little riled about the "Gay" convo), I've appreciated your replies on this thread & for what it's worth I think we're in agreement (There's something there but it's not in the "Book", favourite scene from a movie is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where the opening scene is something like they find the 1st page of the bible & All persons within are fictional)

Peach Out my friend, have a blessed Sunday ????

Yes, i am open minded about everything, and i appreciate politeness in an open debate.

No need for insults, thanks, have a nice day too ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, i am open minded about everything, and i appreciate politeness in an open debate.

No need for insults, thanks, have a nice day too ????

Thanks & I apologise if I insulted you, I tend to be over protective to my baby brother (He's just turned 50 for God's sake.... probably not the best expression to use on this thread ???? )

Have a great day sir... 

IMO saying there is a God or there is not a God actually means to give credibility to what God is or what God means. How can you believe or not believe in something unless that something is defined.  Believing in a God is something that Christians and Muslims and other Religious followers do - but they all claim to have the 'right view' of God. The logical position is that they are either all right and there is a God, or they are all wrong is there is no God.  But both of those positions still require that God is something that can be defined. Which of course leads all Religions to create/believe in their own definition of what God actually is and to then to define/state what God wants humans to do.  Sorry - but I dont buy that step.

Not believing in any 'view' of a God is something that Athiests believe, but for Athiests to attack or defend any Religion is IMO the exact wrong thing for them to do.  One does not need to attack the beliefs/morals/values of a Religion in order to state that one does not believe in a God.  The belief in a God, and the beliefs/morals/values of any Religion, are not the same thing at all. To state that one does not believe in God because of the preachings or behavior of the people who claim to represent God is an erroneous argument.  

The outcomes of both of those basic positions (Religious or Athiest) is that in order to believe or not believe in a God, means that one has to first define what God is.  And that is the core of the issue for us Agnostics - it cannot be done.  IMO human beings can no more understand God than a fly can understand glass.  It is easy to say yes God exists, and it is just as easy to say no God does not exist. But both of those positions mean having a view of what God is.  But what if that is not at all possible? What if that is like trying to explain glass to a fly?  What if all Religions are merely human being's explanations of something that seems to be 'there', but we human beings cannot see or understand it?  Is there really some divine being watching over each and every life on Earth?  Did God destroy the Dinosours?  Etc etc etc.

The Universe as we know it started 13.7 Billion years ago with what the scientists believe was the 'big bang' when both time and matter started. Many people believe that and some people do not - but most people accept it as the latest in scientific thinking (Hubble, Planck, etc.).  But does that mean there was nothing before the big bang and there is/was no God.  If God 'exists' now then surely he/she/it existed before the big bang. Did God make the big bang happen. Who or what created/started the Universe such that if less than 0.000001% of the 'rules' of matter and time (as we understand them) was changed, that there would be no Universe and no life within it. Was it all some massibe fluke and accident. I believe that Religion is humans attempt to explain the unexplainable, and the more we learn the less we know. Dark Matter and Dark Energy and The Expansion are just the latest in human's explanations for something we do not understand (yet). But there will always be more.

Some people think us Agnostics are having a 50/50 bet each way - but I think is seems a bit foolish to live one's life in the hope that God does not or does not exist - or that my/our 'version' of God is the right one - because that means having a view of what God is and I dont think humans can do that.  I think that something existed 'before' the 'big bang' and yet I know that time started with the big bang - maybe at some future time humans will learn what that all was - but I do not think so.  I think that believeing that a God as defined in the Religions created the Universe, or that the Universes started from nothing, are both false arguments that fail to see the reality of the human condition.

Charles Darwin was raised by a Minister and studied to be a Clergyman, and yet he put forward the single most profound and progressive scientific theory in our history.  To say that his theory started argument about the existencxe of God and the validity of Religions is a massive understatement.  To this day, many new scientific theories are used to futher that argument.  But as Darwin stated later in life:  "I have never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God. I think that generally ... an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind."  

Bertrand Russell once stated when giving a lecture and discussing non-anthropomorphic concepts of God:  "That sort of God is, I think, not one that can actually be disproved, as I think the Omnipotent and Benevolent creator can".

'non-anthropomorphic' means not having any human traits, functions, or attributes - meaning not defined by humans.

I do not believe in God as described and ascribed by any Religion, but I do believe in God.

Edited by AussieBob18
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

I do not believe in God as described and ascribed by any Religion, but I do believe in God.

Good post, thanks.

I agree with all of it, but why then define yourself agnostic ?

Actually, i had to ask myself if i am agnostic too, but then i'd guess that i'm a believer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

No worries mate, tbh i was more surprised than offended, and pls accept my apologies if my words did upset you.

As for the topic, i believe we are given infinite chances to evolve into better beings, so i don't buy the "eternal damnation" thing at all.

I also don't see being gay as a "sin", while killing, raping, stealing i see as not good behaviour.

I also don't think that the Bible is all nonsense, our innate common sense should make us able to discriminate between the real news and the fake ones.

Couldn't agree more... 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Good post, thanks.

I agree with all of it, but why then define yourself agnostic ?

Actually, i had to ask myself if i am agnostic too, but then i'd guess that i'm a believer.

I always thought I was Agnostic as my understanding was that an Agnostic is somebody who's accepted that they'd never know the truth about "God"... I got corrected and told that I was a "Negative" Atheist... 

• Like 1

I see in the papers today that the pope has a piece of Jesus'es original crib ,it was given to the church in the middle ages ,considering that Jesus was just one of dozens of Phrophets at his time and it was at least 100 years before the church recognized him as THE ONE,wonder why anyone kept the crib for all that time in the first place .?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1