Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reading many posts on here it's like someone blind from birth trying to tell sighted people what a sunset looks like.

If one has never had faith, how can one even begin to understand it?

Great analogy!

I like what Ekhart Tolle said in 'The Power of Now". 

"The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Great analogy!

"The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying."

And you can be sure that the louder they shout, the angrier they raise their fists, the less they know. And that goes for both sides.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Ignored this thread up to now. Time on my hands this morning

Like most things, I am prepared to believe anything  if given adequate proof

There is no proof of the existence of God, nor any of the other dieties  or their ability to seemingly hold power over those that believe in them and pray continuosly to them. None of the "Gods" are ever around to assist when they should be, since they are only imaginary beliefs. Remember Aberfan and now the Turkish earthquake!  WHERE WERE THEY???

If you have time on your hands, I suggest you study the 'Wheel of Life' as known by half the world's population and then you won't be so ignorant of simple spiritual truths. This would be better than trying to argue the existence of about something you have never experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Great analogy!

There are a lot on here that don't know the difference between God and gods; faith and religion, but write as if they do.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

And you can be sure that the louder they shout, the angrier they raise their fists, the less they know. And that goes for both sides.

I am always amazed at how angry Atheists are, especially as it is about something they don't believe in. I advise people like Dawkins that it is better to be happy that right. 

In  one episode of Star Trek, the locals, on a far off planet, worshipped Vger (pronounced VeeGer). Turned out that it was 'Voyager' with a few letters missing.

People who believe in 'God' are like those who thought Vger was an all powerful entity. In that they cannot believe in themselves, but need a 'superior',  something or other, to worship.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

In  one episode of Star Trek, the locals, on a far off planet, worshipped Vger (pronounced VeeGer). Turned out that it was 'Voyager' with a few letters missing.

People who believe in 'God' are like those who thought Vger was an all powerful entity. In that they cannot believe in themselves, but need a 'superior',  something or other, to worship.

That hasn't changed. Now, instead of god(s) they worship money, fame, celebrities, sports people etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

People who believe in 'God' are like those who thought Vger was an all powerful entity. In that they cannot believe in themselves, but need a 'superior', something or other,to worship.

Not quite correct. 
There are people who, for whatever reasons, believe in a God, based on faith.
Then there are people who, based on personal experiences, know there is more to the story than what we are led to believe. 

You are free to put all of them in the same basket, but you should know that you're doing them, and (more importantly) your own intelligence, a great disservice.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently you think "science" has all the answers, when it obviously doesn't.

Get back to us when non believers achieve something of real worth, like world peace or elimination of poverty.

I love blind optimism.  I never said science has all the answers, but what answers it does have are based on empirical proven data and hard evidence , not mystic BS and blind optimism. If your wish for World peace and the total alleviation of poverty are to be realised, worthy if impossible dreams, it will be done with science, not praying to a nobody. If your 'God' could have done it, he would have done it already. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Not quite correct. 
There are people who, for whatever reasons, believe in a God, based on faith.
Then there are people who, based on personal experiences, know there is more to the story than what we are led to believe. 

You are free to put all of them in the same basket, but you should know that you're doing them, and (more importantly) your own intelligence, a great disservice.

They are all in the same basket. They believe in something because of faith; not evidence.

I'm not doing anyone, or myself a disservice. Just posting what I think. I'm not saying they are wrong. Not ridiculing them. And as long as they don't do too much harm; they can get on with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I love blind optimism.  I never said science has all the answers, but what answers it does have are based on empirical proven data and hard evidence , not mystic BS and blind optimism. If your wish for World peace and the total alleviation of poverty are to be realised, worthy if impossible dreams, it will be done with science, not praying to a nobody. If your 'God' could have done it, he would have done it already. 

"My" God has no interest in "saving" humans, and likely is leaving it to nature to consign us as a species to oblivion, given what we are doing to the planet.

Perhaps you can provide some "empirical proven data and hard evidence" regarding faith, to prove you have more than just opinions.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"My" God has no interest in "saving" humans, and likely is leaving it to nature to consign us as a species to oblivion, given what we are doing to the planet.

Perhaps you can provide some "empirical proven data and hard evidence" regarding faith, to prove you have more than just opinions.

Balance is the key word where every dominant specie will create unbalance! 

Edited by Hummin

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

They are all in the same basket. They believe in something because of faith; not evidence.

I'm not doing anyone, or myself a disservice. Just posting what I think. I'm not saying they are wrong. Not ridiculing them. And as long as they don't do too much harm; they can get on with it.

The only reason you can write like that is because you, personally, have never experienced "faith".

If you have no faith the following applies ( substitute 'faith" for "charity" )

1 Corinthians 13:1, KJV: Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't do 'faith'. I think you have the wrong person here. I'm the science dude, not the deluded dude 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Do you believe in "love"? There is no proof that "love" exists as it is an emotion. "Love" is just a chemical reaction to stimuli in the brain.

Do you believe in "hope"? Likewise.

If you really believe that God does not exist because there is no evidence, then how can you believe in love or hope?

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course you are free to think that, even if it's wrong. It's easier to think that way, but still wrong.

Not everyone who believes in a greater reality does so based on faith alone. 
Then there are others who look for evidence to support their beliefs.

The problem is that you are looking for evidence in the material world, because that is the only evidence you've learned to trust.
However, there are other sources of evidence that are infinitely more adequate. 

It's like you are expecting an old tape recorder to take pictures. When you realize that it's not possible, you deduct that there is nothing to take pictures of, when in reality, all you need to do is to use the appropriate tool for the job. Use a camera.
Do you see what I mean? 
If you're looking for evidence of a spiritual reality, don't expect a machine to do the detection for you. It simply won't work.

Use your inner tools to get results. That's what all spiritual traditions teach at their core: to go within.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you believe in "love"? There is no proof that "love" exists as it is an emotion. "Love" is just a chemical reaction to stimuli in the brain.

If you really believe that God does not exist because there is no evidence, then how can you believe in love or hope?

If love is just a chemical coctail in your brain, then faith and belief can be the same! 

So many times I have stated self manipulation as well manipulation from outside  will dilute our minds and will distract us and lead us the wrong way. The more sure you are, the often more wrong you are when you base youre answers on guts, feelings, being intoxicated and so on. Some mental illnesses also comes with clear mind experiences 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think @hummin put it nicely in his earlier post.

We have everything we need around us. Nature is the key. It gives us understanding. It gives us beauty. It gives us love. And it should give us respect. Instead we fowl up nature at seemingly every opportunity.

As I said earlier; if someone wants to believe in a non-earth entity, then that's up to them. As long as they don't do any harm. Which unfortunately has not often been the case down the centuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

We have everything we need around us. Nature is the key. It gives us understanding. It gives us beauty. It gives us love. And it should give us respect. Instead we fowl up nature at seemingly every opportunity.

I doubt @Hummin would mistake fowl for foul.

I may be wrong!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

We have everything we need around us. Nature is the key. It gives us understanding. It gives us beauty. It gives us love. And it should give us respect. Instead we fowl up nature at seemingly every opportunity

Perhaps you might consider the fact that humans are part of nature as a whole.

People who respect nature are part of nature, and people who destroy nature are part of nature too.

Perhaps human civilization has failed, but you might consider it as a fair attempt to improve the life of humans. 

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps you might consider the fact that humans are part of nature as a whole.

People who respect nature are part of nature, and people who destroy nature are part of nature too.

Perhaps human civilization has failed, but you might consider it as a fair attempt to improve the life of humans.

We are all a part of nature. But it is we, the humans, that are seemingly doing our best to destroy it. This world that we live in has everything we need. But one of the things that it should give us is often missing; respect. Take care of nature and it will take care of us.

If the humans were more in-tune with the earth, and the beauty it has to offer, perhaps there would be no need for religion at all.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Take care of nature and it will take care of us.

Nature is beyond good and bad, just ask any victim of a natural disaster.

But if you want to blame everything on humans, just carry on.

Honestly, i would expect anyone who has such a rosy picture of nature, to go live in the wild, like our ancestors used to do, but that would be too hard, i guess.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Nature is beyond good and bad, just ask any victim of a natural disaster.

But if you want to blame everything on humans, just carry on.

Honestly, i would expect anyone who has such a rosy picture of nature, to go live in the wild, like our ancestors used to do, but that would be too hard, i guess.

Getting pretty close to it in Isaan as a National park as the closest neighbour ????

To make it clear, nature is there right in front of us with guidelines, but thats not good enough, only the chosen ones is able to see and understand the complexity of a god who gives and takes in unexpectedly ways, often with unfair outcome!

Humans choose unpredictable lives,  because of greed, and settle in catastrophe areas, because those places is rich on resources, unless they are outcasts and had no other choices.