Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Getting pretty close to it in Isaan as a National park as the closest neighbour ????

Well, pls forgive me, but i guess you're still using money to buy food, instead of hunting snakes or picking roots and berries in the wild, and use internet instead of smoke signals, thanks to civilization. 

Agree with the rest of the post, it seems a well balanced view.

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Well, pls forgive me, but i guess you're still using money to buy food, instead of hunting snakes or picking roots and berries in the wild, and use internet instead of smoke signals, thanks to civilization. 

Agree with the rest of the post, it seems a well balanced view.

Sometimes you have to read with a less serious mind, and just smile when a poor joke is presented.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Nature is beyond good and bad, just ask any victim of a natural disaster.

But if you want to blame everything on humans, just carry on.

Honestly, i would expect anyone who has such a rosy picture of nature, to go live in the wild, like our ancestors used to do, but that would be too hard, i guess.

Nature is beautiful. It can also be devastating, dangerous and unpredictable at times. But never ugly. It is we humans that are the ugly side of nature.

Our wonderful earth is all we need. Thoughts of a god are unnecessary.

But, as I say; each to his own. I'm OK with that.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Our wonderful earth is all we need. Thoughts of a god are unnecessary.

Not for me. 
The questions of who I am and how it all connects, are more than necessary for me. They're imperative. And I can't be the only one, given that the thoughts of God or Spirit have been central to humankind for thousands of years.

But you're right, to each his own. New questions will arise sooner or later, at the appropriate time, and will need to be answered. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i personally don't feel like I'm " the ugly side of nature ", but I'll take notice of your opinion.

So who is dumping the cr@p into the oceans? The Honey Bees?

I've read recently, that there is an idea to send our nuclear waste into outer space. Dear me! What will our neighbours think of us?

As far as I'm concerned, we have two main functions on this Earth. One is to keep it in pristine condition. And the other is to ensure that it remains so for future generations.

Edited by owl sees all
Took out <deleted> and put in cr@p

There are no more important questions than the ones you raise. If there is a god and we fail to believe (as I fail to believe) then we are condemned to eternal pain and torture with no parole.

Since and early age I was suspicious about how religions were used as tools of control.....with doctrines abandoned and invented to meet the need for control. I was raised in early life as a Catholic and now I look back on the history of the religion as one of almost total hypocrisy and of doing much harm and little (or no) good in the world. That is not to say that there aren't many good Catholics.....my grandmother was one....but she followed the doctrines of Christ, not the warmonging doctrines of the awful Old Testament God (the 10 Commandments, which Jesus preached should be discarded).

Despite the awful future in the event that I am wrong about religions and life after death, I cannot subscribe to the superstitious nonsense that is fed to children in order to make them pliable and amenable to control by the hierarchy in later life. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Not for me. 
The questions of who I am and how it all connects, are more than necessary for me. They're imperative. And I can't be the only one, given that the thoughts of God or Spirit have been central to humankind for thousands of years.

But you're right, to each his own. New questions will arise sooner or later, at the appropriate time, and will need to be answered. 

How do you see the connections with fungi, if any? 

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

There are no more important questions than the ones you raise. If there is a god and we fail to believe (as I fail to believe) then we are condemned to eternal pain and torture with no parole.

pliable and amenable to control by the hierarchy in later life. 

There is not necessary any eternal pain or any torture demons. If any pain and demons, it is temporary in this life

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've read recently, that there is an idea to send our nuclear waste into outer space. Dear me! What will our neighbours think of us.

As far as I'm concerned, we have two main functions on this Earth. One is to keep it in pristine condition. And the other is to ensure that it remains so for future generations.

Of course 

9 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've read recently, that there is an idea to send our nuclear waste into outer space. Dear me! What will our neighbours think of us.

Well, i accept my part of responsibility for the nuclear waste in the sea and in the space, but i have faith in the "reset function " of our planet. 

Apparently it has happened before, and it will happen again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How do you see the connections with fungi, if any? 

I think they are fascinating and I'm sure there is a lot we don't understand yet about the role they play in the ecosystem.
I also believe that they (among other psychotropic substances) were humanity's first spiritual teachers. 
Even today, I think they can play an important role in our spiritual evolution and physical wellbeing. Thankfully, science is slowly re-discovering and researching these proprieties, and implementing them in consciousness research and as a cure to mental health issues.

does anybody remember The Avengers? 

When those things come through a portal in the sky?

what is CERN in Geneva?

are they creating "the God particle" which is attempting to split the veil between the supernatural and natural realm?

possibly opening a supernatural portal to the underworld?

23 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

does anybody remember The Avengers? 

When those things come through a portal in the sky?

what is CERN in Geneva?

are they creating "the God particle" which is attempting to split the veil between the supernatural and natural realm?

possibly opening a supernatural portal to the underworld?

Lol

YOU are the portal!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i personally don't feel like I'm " the ugly side of nature ", but I'll take notice of your opinion.

I hope you didn't think he was referring to you in particular, but he's right in that human kind in general is ugly ( greed, hatred and killing is not a beautiful characteristic ), and is destroying our environment as fast as we are able.

15 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

but she followed the doctrines of Christ, not the warmonging doctrines of the awful Old Testament God (the 10 Commandments, which Jesus preached should be discarded).

I know of no such preaching. Jesus was a Jew, and lived as a Jew. His beef was that the religious leaders were not in accord with the will of God as written. Hence, he called on people to live as God willed, by the commandments, but as that conflicted with the leaders corruption, they saw him as a threat to their power.

16 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Since and early age I was suspicious about how religions were used as tools of control.....with doctrines abandoned and invented to meet the need for control. I was raised in early life as a Catholic and now I look back on the history of the religion as one of almost total hypocrisy and of doing much harm and little (or no) good in the world. That is not to say that there aren't many good Catholics.....my grandmother was one....but she followed the doctrines of Christ, not the warmonging doctrines of the awful Old Testament God (the 10 Commandments, which Jesus preached should be discarded).

Despite the awful future in the event that I am wrong about religions and life after death, I cannot subscribe to the superstitious nonsense that is fed to children in order to make them pliable and amenable to control by the hierarchy in later life. 

You write about religious dogma and not about faith.

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I've read recently, that there is an idea to send our nuclear waste into outer space. Dear me! What will our neighbours think of us?

Dumping the waste in space would work if they sent it into the sun, but it won't happen because there is too much of it.

As for the second paragraph, mankind has failed, and not just failed, but is deliberately destroying the environment, and IMO Gaia will send us to join the dinosaurs for it.

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

We are all a part of nature. But it is we, the humans, that are seemingly doing our best to destroy it. This world that we live in has everything we need. But one of the things that it should give us is often missing; respect. Take care of nature and it will take care of us.

If the humans were more in-tune with the earth, and the beauty it has to offer, perhaps there would be no need for religion at all.

But one of the things that it should give us is often missing; respect. Take care of nature and it will take care of us.

IMO nature IS God. By respecting Nature, you respect God.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you didn't think he was referring to you in particular, but he's right in that human kind in general is ugly ( greed, hatred and killing is not a beautiful characteristic ), and is destroying our environment as fast as we are able.

Sure, but personally I'm not greedy, i don't kill and i don't  hate, so he's barking at the wrong tree, so to speak.

Nature is not equal to the Divine Consciousness (my definition of "God"). Nature is the material manifestation of the D.C., a partial aspect of it. 
Nature can be called divine, but so are we and everything in between, because we are all part of nature. 

In the Hindu philosophy, nature would be classified as "maya", or illusion. Maya is the veil that covers our real nature and the real nature of the world around us. So, while nature is built and permeated by the D.C., it's still just a smoke screen, keeping us separated from the unfiltered reality that is the Divine Consciousness. 

• Like 1

just thought of something.

maybe some places on earth have a more 'spiritual vibe' based on their geographical location.

a lot of spiritual types flock to sedona, arizona for instance.

sedona has 'vortexes' ie 'swirling centers of subtle energy'

maybe places like tibet and parts of india too are infused with some whiff of spirituality in the air?

never been to any of these places. 

but thanks neeranam. your posts inspired me to make a trek out to india. 

Edited by save the frogs

Might as well close this thread as it has gone nowhere and is going nowhere.

In its place could be one named; "Do you believe in Santa Claus and why".........one bunch of folk saying they do and another saying they don't. Either way the argument would be about something which doesn't exist/an imaginary being, so the end result would be the same as this thread, both arguing about something which doesn't exist......sorted!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, save the frogs said:

just thought of something.

maybe some places on earth have a more 'spiritual vibe' based on their geographical location.

a lot of spiritual types flock to sedona, arizona for instance.

sedona has 'vortexes' ie 'swirling centers of subtle energy'

maybe places like tibet and parts of india too are infused with some whiff of spirituality in the air?

never been to any of these places. 

but thanks neeranam. your posts inspired me to make a trek out to india. 

I have been reading about "energy lines", as a sort of an invisible grid of 'spiritual vibes", as you call them, but i remain a bit skeptical.

I was in Benares 40 years ago, holy place on the river Gange in India, and i was disappointed if not almost shocked, but it was rainy season.

In Vrindavan, despite the good weather and the good vibes, there was still something wrong.

Perhaps too much expectation..

..But whenever i see an old tree, especially if the sky is clear, i perceive good energy.