Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 minute ago, ravip said:

An amulet?

It's comments like that that drove the posters with something to contribute away from the forum. I see that I made a mistake thinking there might be some interesting comments and opinions to discuss. I was wrong, so I'm outa here.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We don't. We don't know what sort of life exists in other galaxies. Could be a cloud of intelligent gas, or a silicone like blob.

All humans know is what is on planet earth. The rest we guess.

Most likely life on earth travelled space, and not really created here. It evolved here, but travelled space to many earth like planets, for then travel to next, and next. Our Dna can transform in to anything required by the changing enviroment by time. Not just science <deleted>, but facts, but most people can not grasp the reality of life on earth. Science backs it up, but so far not enough evidence

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't have your problem. To me nature IS God, and God is nature.

But no one had ever fought any wars on behalf of nature - but this fella god had killed millions.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooooo, what is nature if not God?

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, why not an amulet? An amulet created nature.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's comments like that that drove the posters with something to contribute away from the forum. I see that I made a mistake thinking there might be some interesting comments and opinions to discuss. I was wrong, so I'm outa here.

Why get offended? Blind faith is destructive.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ravip said:

But no one had ever fought any wars on behalf of nature - but this fella god had killed millions.

Humans killed milllions and millions during its time, it is people who kills people, not god killing people. God made physical rules for coexistence, but humens braking all laws. We where not even ment to be 8 billions on this planet, but we did brake the physical laws, inventing things to quick to fast before we even knew how it would affect us.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We don't. We don't know what sort of life exists in other galaxies. Could be a cloud of intelligent gas, or a silicone like blob.

All humans know is what is on planet earth. The rest we guess.

Absolutely correct!

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Humans killed milllions and millions during its time, it is people who kills people, not god killing people. God made physical rules for coexistence, but humens braking all laws. We where not even ment to be 8 billions on this planet, but we did brake the physical laws, inventing things to quick to fast before we even knew how it would affect us.

Humans are the products of god - on behalf of this god people started killing each other. Even here, so much animosity for the people who reject this unknown object.

Two things got the Christian religion going in the west. The first is "the divine right of kings" that's why monarchy embraced religion . This has kind of faded out but the second one "pie in the sky" is going strong. It's important to the elite that the poor be content with their lot so the rich are not called upon to share . Telling people to be content with a life of misery because they are going to a better place when they die is the ultimate con. It beats me why people fall for it but they do.

• Love It 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every time I write.

Well done. There is a box of medals in the bottom left hand draw of my desk, come and help yourself.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Humpy said:

How have I managed all these 84 years without any invisible means of support ? Show me religion and I show you wars, strife and poverty, hunger  etc etc. 

Don't you see???.......it's a miracle you survived 84 years without any invisible means of support......so there must be a God after all......555

• Like 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Don't you see???.......it's a miracle you survived 84 years without any invisible means of support......so there must be a God after all......555

84 years on this planet could be a curse, and not a blessing.

Each and one have to decide. 

Religion in all its different forms has been responsible for the death and suffering of millions of people throughout history and will continue to do so.

What right does anyone have to think that because one person doesn’t believe in what he or she believes in they have the right to kill or harm them?

No there is no god and religious beliefs have only been invented by those that are scared of the fact that when you are dead you are dead with no form of afterlife.

2 hours ago, harryviking said:

There is no GOD! Only superstitious people afraid of death.

I find this as a good answer, and in another video, he state he do not know. 

Science do not rule out the existence of god, because we do not know 

2 hours ago, harryviking said:

There is no GOD! Only superstitious people afraid of death.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 3:13 PM, WDSmart said:

No, because the concept of "God" is a delusion we (humans) have invented to help us feel we are in control of our lives. 

Delusion? You mean like dark energy and dark matter? How many more ad hoc hypotheses will you need? Oh, it's matter alright, the overwhelming majority, and never mind that it neither emits nor absorbs radiation. Neither does my God.

Some of us instead have the no control model: 

Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 

Both those Galileans and the eighteen were dead, no changing that, and not because they were in any way worse humans than some others. Which is not to excuse many of the faithful, since you have heard it said, but for the grace of God there go I, which must mean that those on the receiving end of calamity/disaster did not enjoy the grace of God, right? Some well and truly do not understand what they say.

For more of that, did you know that the US was all sweetness and light until the Euros came? Is why the one gravestone at Little Big Horn reports that US Indian Scout Sgt. Bobtail Bull died defending the Arikara way of life.

As for why my particular faith, recall the West Wing:

This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, Hey, you, can you help me out? The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, Father, I'm down in this hole, can you help me out? The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by, Hey, Joe, it's me, can you help me out? And the friend jumps in the hole.  Our guy says, Are you stupid, now we're both down here? The friend says, Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.

Now on to that other Paul, Christ died once for all. And so, since some complain about death, as in killing, do you think there'd be much of that if whenever one was in the presence of some other human, one recalled, Christ died once for all? We might want to go with telfillin, as in:

And it shall be a sign for you upon your hand, and for a memorial between your eyes, that the law of YH-H may be in your mouth; for with a strong hand did YH-H bring you out of Egypt.

What is Egypt? That iron furnace aka sin, that house of bondage aka captivity in that sin? Here I thought that Christ means born again. In other words, I too was in Egypt once. So gonna need telfillin. So I don't ever forget that Christ died for you.

By the way, I am admittedly an arch-heretic. Not a pride thing, simply how it turned out. Life would be so much easier if I was not that. The problem is otherwise not limited to religion but much else as well. As if it was Sunday school, taught by authority, and thereafter humans spend their entire lives never checking to see if what they were taught is true. Recall all of the continued racism after the US Civil War. Was no one listening to Howell Cobb? If blacks will make good soldiers our whole theory of slavery is wrong. Sadly, some never learn their lesson.

For the bonus freebie, did you know that the trifecta of disadvantage owns God?  Read Genesis 1, God called to the dry land, earth, etc. As in, the act of naming implies ownership. I am 'el-Shaddai, walk before me and be blameless. God naming God. Yet this certain human, a female, from Egypt, not free, aka the trifecta of disadvantaged, owns God...you are 'el-Roi, the God who sees me. Genesis does not report that God has any problem with Hagar staking her claim to ownership. There's a lesson there...

On 8/27/2024 at 10:23 PM, Humpy said:

How have I managed all these 84 years without any invisible means of support ? Show me religion and I show you wars, strife and poverty, hunger  etc etc. 

No, I don't think religions cause wars.

Although people can be and have been manipulated by religion.

But the media can manipulate people, anyone can manipulate people. And some people will find any excuse to behave badly. 

I have been too judgmental about religion. For some people, it actually does help them be decent human beings.

And it also has a sense of community about it, getting together on Sunday mornings.

One guy reminisced that he misses being an alter boy at church. And the sense of community is lacking in modern times. 

4 hours ago, SlappyMc said:
On 8/28/2024 at 8:13 AM, WDSmart said:

No, because the concept of "God" is a delusion we (humans) have invented to help us feel we are in control of our lives. 

Delusion? You mean like dark energy and dark matter? How many more ad hoc hypotheses will you need? Oh, it's matter alright, the overwhelming majority, and never mind that it neither emits nor absorbs radiation. Neither does my God.

Yes, @SlappyMc, just like our delusions of dark energy and dark matter or just plain old energy and matter. All our concepts of reality are delusions created by our (human) intellect. "God" is just one of the more crazy ones.

5 hours ago, WDSmart said:

Yes, @SlappyMc, just like our delusions of dark energy and dark matter or just plain old energy and matter. All our concepts of reality are delusions created by our (human) intellect. "God" is just one of the more crazy ones.

It's rather sad that the most people on our planet do not seem to understand the most basics processes of the 'methodology of science'.

This process begins with some questioning and research on a particular topic, followed by the creation of a 'hypothesis' which might appear to explain the observed phenomena, but which is not certain.

In order to reach a high degree of certainty, many experiments need to be done, and repeated by other scientists. If the results of numerous experiments are consistent and align with eath other, and the ypothesis is not falsified, then the original hypothesis becomes a confirmed theory.

However, this is not an 'either/or' situation. There are many degrees of certainty or uncertainty, and there are many examples in the history of science where confirmed theories have later been demonstrated to be incorrect.
The existence of a 'Creator God' is very much an uncertain hypothesis. However, the concepts of the 'Big Bang' origin of the universe, and the existence of 'Dark Matter and Dark Energy', are also hypotheses, despite ongoing research.
In fact, recent research on Dark Matter and Dark Energy suggests it doesn't really exist, or doesn't need to exist to explain the observations of an expanding universe. Here's a link to the research for those interested.

"The fabric of the cosmos, as we currently understand it, comprises three primary components: ‘normal matter,’ ‘dark energy,’ and ‘dark matter.’ However, new research is turning this established model on its head.
A recent study conducted by the University of Ottawa presents compelling evidence that challenges the traditional model of the universe, suggesting that there may not be a place for dark matter within it."

https://www.earth.com/news/dark-matter-does-not-exist-universe-27-billion-years-old-study/