Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

24 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Who really know? 

Yes indeed,

There are alternative Jesus accounts that tell a different story.

In one alternative account  Jesus , following the biblical teachings of self defence, made a shiv and stubbed his roman guard in the eye then captured two woodchucks, tied their tails together , used them as  nunchucks  and escaped.

They said he lived the rest of his life as a buddhist monk caring for the poor,injured Woodchucks. who suffered lifelong emotional trauma from the Nunchuck incident.

Edited by sirineou

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

What about an unjustified war as started by GW Bush,is it OK to kill people then? BTW, the ten commandments say "Thou shall not kill" it doesn't mention any exceptions.

What does anything GW Bush, did or didn't do have to do with believing in God? 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Sorry, did we get away from the subject of your endless quotes from the bible? Tough.

The last time I checked, this topic was about "do you believe in God and why."  While you are pondering that, maybe you could spend a few moments thinking about the Bible and how it pertains to this topic. 

The Bible is great literature and the all-time number-one best-seller. It contains history, entertaining stories, poetry, philosophy, and personal letters. But, more than that, the Bible is God’s Word. If we have to speak of a single purpose of the Bible, it would be to reveal God to us. There are many things that we could never know about God unless He told them to us. The Bible is God’s self-revelation to humanity. The Bible also tells us who we are. It tells us of our sin and of God’s plan of salvation in Jesus Christ.

Second Timothy 3:15–17 may be one of the most comprehensive purpose statements found in the Bible. The apostle Paul writes to his young assistant Timothy, “From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” Some of the Bible is spoken directly by God Himself, and other parts are spoken by men whom He guided—but all of it is His Word, and all of it is beneficial and authoritative. Scripture shows us the way of salvation. Furthermore, it will teach us, rebuke us when we are wrong, and train us how to do right so that we may be ready to do God’s work.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The last time I checked, this topic was about "do you believe in God and why."  While you are pondering that, maybe you could spend a few moments thinking about the Bible and how it pertains to this topic. 

The Bible is great literature and the all-time number-one best-seller. It contains history, entertaining stories, poetry, philosophy, and personal letters. But, more than that, the Bible is God’s Word. If we have to speak of a single purpose of the Bible, it would be to reveal God to us. There are many things that we could never know about God unless He told them to us. The Bible is God’s self-revelation to humanity. The Bible also tells us who we are. It tells us of our sin and of God’s plan of salvation in Jesus Christ.

Second Timothy 3:15–17 may be one of the most comprehensive purpose statements found in the Bible. The apostle Paul writes to his young assistant Timothy, “From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” Some of the Bible is spoken directly by God Himself, and other parts are spoken by men whom He guided—but all of it is His Word, and all of it is beneficial and authoritative. Scripture shows us the way of salvation. Furthermore, it will teach us, rebuke us when we are wrong, and train us how to do right so that we may be ready to do God’s work.

Blah, blah, blah.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 7:11 PM, giddyup said:

What about an unjustified war as started by GW Bush,is it OK to kill people then? BTW, the ten commandments say "Thou shall not kill" it doesn't mention any exceptions.

LOL. The Bible God has no problems with killing. He even told the Israelites that they had a promised land ( that they had to remove the inhabitants from first ). The Bible is full of war and killing.

Jesus was no pacifist either.

Frankly, IMO there is something missing from the commandment, to decide the context in which it is set. Perhaps they meant Thou shalt not kill the priests, and the last bit got missed because Moses was a bit deaf or in a hurry.

To answer your question, soldiers are no more at risk of going to hell for killing in a war than everyone else is for not believing in "God".

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

As far as i know, the only time Jesus was angry, is when he went to the temple and scolded the priests for being greedy.

He didn't just scold them. Didn't he cast them out?

We don't know everything about the Christ as the editors of the Bible may have deleted certain things that went against what they were trying to portray.

We do know that Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Doesn't sound very pacifist to me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He didn't just scold them. Didn't he cast them out?

We don't know everything about the Christ as the editors of the Bible may have deleted certain things that went against what they were trying to portray.

Yes, apparently he was very angry, and he might have kicked one or two in the butts.

I just asked you how did you come to the conclusion that he was no pacifist.

Well, what we don't know is where he spent his time between 12 and his final year, but there are credible (imho) speculations about him travelling to Egypt and India to study and meditate.

I find him to be very close to Buddhism in his teachings, so he was certainly not violent or intolerant.

26 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, apparently he was very angry, and he might have kicked one or two in the butts.

I just asked you how did you come to the conclusion that he was no pacifist.

Well, what we don't know is where he spent his time between 12 and his final year, but there are credible (imho) speculations about him travelling to Egypt and India to study and meditate.

I find him to be very close to Buddhism in his teachings, so he was certainly not violent or intolerant.

You missed the bit I added to that post.

We do know that Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." Doesn't sound very pacifist to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You missed the bit I added to that post.

Yes, i know that bit, and it was prophetical indeed, whether we believe or not that Jesus said that.

...But the fact that he foresaw the "Christians" colonising half of the world does not make him a war monger imho.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

As far as i know, the only time Jesus was angry, is when he went to the temple and scolded the priests for being greedy.

He also gets angry at a fig tree for being out of season and not bearing fruit when he is hungry. He curses it and it withers and dies. Shouldn't he have KNOWN the tree was barren? Couldn't he have just conjured up a snack?

Just a myth or certainly just a man...IF he ever even existed at all.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Honestly, you are not adding very much to the discussion :coffee1:

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Honestly, you are not adding very much to the discussion :coffee1:

Probably not, it's all been said before ad infinitum, but neither is cmnightrider with his endless copying and pasting of bible passages. I might add that your comment isn't adding anything either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

He also gets angry at a fig tree for being out of season and not bearing when he is hungry. He curses it and it withers and dies. Shouldn't he have KNOWN the tree was barren? Couldn't he have just conjured up a snack?

Just a myth or certainly just a man...IF he ever even existed at all.

Lol, later i will search the fig tree bit, it is in some very dark and dusty corner of my memory.

As he was using parables to describe spiritual realities ( i know that you don't believe they exist, so pls spare me the insults), those parables need to be understood and meditated, and not criticised at face value.

Some of those parables took me decades to understand.

I definitely think that Jesus existed, but i can concede that details of his life could be exaggerated, distorted and possibly totally made up.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Probably not, it's all been said before ad infinitum, but neither is cmnightrider with his endless copying and pasting of bible passages. I might add that your comment isn't adding anything either.

You are welcome to discuss the topic, i think you know that very well.

Yes, i criticised your post, it's like playing chess with some unruly child who thinks that overturning the table is a good strategy.

A bit annoying if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You are welcome to discuss the topic, i think you know that very well.

Yes, i criticised your post, it's like playing chess with some unruly child who thinks that overturning the table is a good strategy.

A bit annoying if you ask me.

Here's a bit of christian advice, turn the other cheek, or in this case ignore my comments.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The myth-man also okays beating servants (slaves). Luke 12:47-48

Is that a parable too? 

Slavery was considered normal 2000 years ago, i am glad that you are against it.

So, after having dismissed all the religious things as fairy tales, now you are citing the gospels ?

Can you explain this apparent contradiction ?

Just before you get to excited, i'm reasonably skeptical about any religious script, i made it quite clear, but, as the Latins said, "repetita juvant" (repetitions help)

• Like 1

Yes Jesus did speak some hard messages about the days to come. A time when the atheists and other religions will hate the Christians and the Christians will have hard choices to make. He was correct of course. Today Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world. They are the victims of 80% of all acts of religious discrimination.  LINK Amazing that he knew he would have a global effect.

Not Peace but Division (Luke 12)

49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Edited by canuckamuck

13 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Slavery was considered normal 2000 years ago, i am glad that you are against it.

So, after having dismissed all the religious things as fairy tales, now you are citing the gospels ?

Can you explain this apparent contradiction ?

Just before you get to excited, i'm reasonably skeptical about any religious script, i made it quite clear, but, as the Latins said, "repetita juvant" (repetitions help)

There is no contradiction. I know u r more intelligent than this, so why play the Strawman move and divert everytime you've been had? I only cite from these silly books and superstitions (and spiritual mumbo jumbo) for the sake of the discussion. 

Slavery was acceptable back then, but that is not the issue. Shouldn't the pacifist and all good, loving, caring, peaceful, fair and wise prophet have advised AGAINST beating them??? 

THAT is the point and u totally missed it...or did u? 

(Also referencing the gospels shows that this lifelong atheist knows at least as much...and usually more...about this holey book of BS than those whom claim to believe in this particular superstition)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

There is no contradiction. I know u r more intelligent than this, so why play the Strawman move and divert everytime you've been had? I only cite from these silly books and superstitions (and spiritual mumbo jumbo) for the sake of the discussion. 

Slavery was acceptable back then, but that is not the issue. Shouldn't the pacifist and all good, loving, caring, peaceful, fair and wise prophet have advised AGAINST beating them??? 

(Also referencing the gospels shows that this lifelong atheist knows at least as much...and usually more...about this holey book of BS than those whom claim to believe in this particular superstition)

Please show where he was advising beating. He was only stating that if a trusted slave broke that trust, It was well known that slave was going to get beat. Slavery was a reality in the whole world for almost 1900 years after he made that statement.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

No, sorry, my point is that you are 'cherry picking' from the 'holey BS', to prove that Jesus was in favour of slavery.

So apparently, "for the sake of discussion" you choose to believe a little part of the gospels to be true.

My point is that the holy books and the gospels might have most likely been misinterpreted, if not corrupted, during 1000's of years, so i take from them what i believe to be reasonable and true.

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Please show where he was advising beating. He was only stating that if a trusted slave broke that trust, It was well known that slave was going to get beat. Slavery was a reality in the whole world for almost 1900 years after he made that statement.

... And still a reality nowadays in some part of the world.

• Like 1