Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

My point is that the holy books and the gospels might have most likely been misinterpreted, if not corrupted, during 1000's of years, so i take from them what i believe to be reasonable and true.

So what part do you choose to believe if the "holy book and gospels" have been misinterpreted or corrupted? Different sects and cults have interpreted the bible in whatever ways suit them, ie old men taking many underage girls as their "brides" purely for sexual gratification.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So what part do you choose to believe if the "holy book and gospels" have been misinterpreted or corrupted? Different sects and cults have interpreted the bible in whatever ways suit them, ie old men taking many underage girls as their "brides" purely for sexual gratification.

That would be a long story, but enough said that my choosing criteria have the respect of all human beings as a basic principle.

So, i believe that buying underage brides is immoral and shameful. Like any kind of slavery and exploitation.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That would be a long story, but enough said that my choosing criteria have the respect of all human beings as a basic principle.

So, i believe that buying underage brides is immoral and shameful. Like any kind of slavery and exploitation.

I didn't say anything about buying, I said that different christian cults and sects have interpreted the bible in whichever ways suit their own ends, Those underage girls often went willingly and with the blessing of their parents to please so-called prophets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I didn't say anything about buying, I said that different christian cults and sects have interpreted the bible in whichever ways suit their own ends, Those underage girls often went willingly and with the blessing of their parents to please so-called prophets.

What specifically are you talking about? 

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, at the time, given that life was shorter, and procreation seen as necessary, it was quite normal, but you are intelligent enough to notice that times have changed.

Yes, cults and sects interpret the bible in whichever ways suits their own ends.

So do i, and apparently so do you.

The difference is that i try to pick the best, and you try to pick the worst.

Edited by mauGR1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

Yes, at the time, given that life was shorter, and procreation seen as necessary, it was quite normal, but you are intelligent enough to notice that time have changed.

Yes, cults and sects interpret the bible in whichever ways suits their own ends.

So do i, and apparently so do you.

The difference is that i try to pick the best, and you try to pick the worst.

I don't interpret the bible at all, and I don't believe in god either. People can still choose to live a decent life without exploiting or causing harm to others without all that mumbo jumbo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

No, what story in the bible are you talking about? Underage girls going off to please prophets?

If you took the time to actually read what I said I wouldn't need to explain it to you. MauGR1 was saying that he interpreted the bible as he saw fit, I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Just now, giddyup said:

I don't interpret the bible at all, and I don't believe in god either. People can still choose to live a decent life without exploiting or causing harm to others without all that mumbo jumbo.

Surely i agree, but i think humanism has its origin in the endless search for a decent cohabitation among humans, and religion has played a major role in the history in unifying a fragmented tribal society.

If we have hospitals, schools, and, although far from perfect, a civil society, it's also thanks to religion.

That's my point, i would never support a holy book or any religion, i support your freedom to choose whatever is good for you.

I am interested in spirituality, which is inherently against any fanaticism, i think i'm not damaging anyone with that.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

That has been debated ad nauseam.

Now, if i pick a stick and beat you, you wouldn't blame the stick, would you ?

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you took the time to actually read what I said I wouldn't need to explain it to you. MauGR1 was saying that he interpreted the bible as he saw fit, I said that other sects and cults have done the same thing to suit their own personal evil agendas.

But I have read it. I am having trouble recalling this activity you describe. Surely you can give me some more info?

Edit: Oh I think I get it, you made that up and compared other groups to the Christians. I thought you said that was in The Bible

Edited by canuckamuck

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

That has been debated ad nauseam.

Now, if i pick a stick and beat you, you wouldn't blame the stick, would you ?

Goodness me, why do I have to explain everything? It was you who said that you interpreted the bible as you saw fit because of it's corruption by interpretation over the years, and I said that is no different that the various sects and cults (Waco, Jim Jones, etc) that have interpreted the bible to suit their own agendas. Everybody can interpret it differently is my point, get it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Goodness me, why do I have to explain everything?

That is entirely your choice. Nobody is forcing you.

Actually you have not explained anything which i didn't know already.

So for you the Bible is bad because some bad people have misinterpreted it.

Ok, got it.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But I have read it. I am having trouble recalling this activity you describe. Surely you can give me some more info?

Edit: Oh I think I get it, you made that up and compared other groups to the Christians. I thought you said that was in The Bible

Are you seriously asking me to name all the different christian sects and cults that have interpreted the bible to suit their own evil purposes? I can certainly name a couple of the more well known like the Branch Davidians and The Peoples Temple.

Just now, giddyup said:

Are you seriously asking me to name all the different christian sects and cults that have interpreted the bible to suit their own evil purposes? I can certainly name a couple of the more well known like the Branch Davidians and The Peoples Temple.

I already noted my error.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

That is entirely your choice. Nobody is forcing you.

Actually you have not explained anything which i didn't know already.

So for you the Bible is bad because some bad people have misinterpreted it.

Ok, got it.

You really do have a way of only taking in what suits you and rejecting all other info. I'll leave this conversation to you and canuckamuck, you both seem to be on the same wavelength.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You really do have a way of only taking in what suits you and rejecting all other info. I'll leave this conversation to you and canuckamuck, you both seem to be on the same wavelength.

What other info ?

You can take away the Bible, and all the holy books, and the people will  still be obtuse, and evil in some cases.

But thanks for trying to discuss it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Please show where he was advising beating. He was only stating that if a trusted slave broke that trust, It was well known that slave was going to get beat. Slavery was a reality in the whole world for almost 1900 years after he made that statement.

By him not condemning it...he is pretty much condoning it. Please read my second paragraph again. He should have advised AGAINST it and he of all people should have known better. What he really should have said was that it is inhumane and against his holy nature to own other humans as property. Just because other a-holes did it...well I guess JC was just another a-hole. Amen! 

• Like 1

Just now, canuckamuck said:

To be fair you were trying to equate what mauGR1 was saying with Jim Jones and David Koresh. 

He was only explaining that he sees parts of the Bible he agreed with. So far as I know he isn't building a commune at the moment.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

By him not condemning it...he is pretty much condoning it. Please read my second paragraph again. He should have advised AGAINST it and he of all people should have known better. What he really should have said was that it is inhumane and against his holy nature to own other humans as property. Just because other a-holes did it...well I guess JC was just another a-hole. Amen! 

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

So apparently Jesus said that.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

At least I'm not copying and pasting most of my comments.

Since the Bible is God's word and contains information He wanted us to know, it is far better to quote from the Bible than trying to change what He said to my words.  I'm sure deep down you know God is the Creator of all living creatures, us, and the entire universe.

Anyone with a normal IQ who looks at the balance of nature, and has some basic understanding of DNA, can only come to the logical conclusion there has to be a Creator.  Furthermore, to read the Bible and come to the conclusion the Bible is not the word of God, and all of nature along with all living creatures evolved from some glob in a mud puddle billions of years ago, doesn't have the sense God gave a goose.

Please don't feel you have to respond with another silly or nonsensical comment to entertain your like minded friends.  It would be far better to quit drinking or ingesting mind altering medication you must be doing, and accept God's gift of salvation along with repentance.  The choice is yours.  You have until you take your last breath to figure this out.    

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I see, that most of you still think Jesus existed as a human. Makes me wonder because there is no proof of his existence. Same as Santa Claus. I think he does exist, but in our minds - not in history.

There is overwhelming evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ, both in secular and biblical history. Perhaps the greatest evidence that Jesus did exist is the fact that literally thousands of Christians in the first century AD, including the twelve apostles, were willing to give their lives as martyrs for Jesus Christ. People will die for what they believe to be true, but no one will die for what they know to be a lie.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Please don't feel you have to respond with another silly or nonsensical comment to entertain your like minded friends.  It would be far better to quit drinking or ingesting mind altering medication you must be doing, and accept God's gift of salvation along with repentance.  The choice is yours.  You have until you take your last breath to figure this out.    

What a hypocrite you are, anyone who doesn't agree with your silly philosophy has insults heaped on them, years ago you would have been party to burning people at the stake or torturing them into submission, fortunately all you can do now is huff and puff. Bye.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

There is overwhelming evidence for the existence of Jesus Christ, both in secular and biblical history. Perhaps the greatest evidence that Jesus did exist is the fact that literally thousands of Christians in the first century AD, including the twelve apostles, were willing to give their lives as martyrs for Jesus Christ. People will die for what they believe to be true, but no one will die for what they know to be a lie.

People died for Jim Jones and David Koresh as well, maybe they were both Jesus reincarnated?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

I see, that most of you still think Jesus existed as a human. Makes me wonder because there is no proof of his existence. Same as Santa Claus. I think he does exist, but in our minds - not in history.

Well, i was in Kashmir in 1980, no internet at that time, and a Brahmin (Hindu priest) told me about the (supposed) tomb of Jesus in some place nearby. Some say it could be the tomb of Mary, probably we will never know exactly.

He was adamant that since thousand of years, Christians were doing pilgrimage there, so there must be something true about the story.

You are free to compare Jesus to Santa Claus, but i think you are completely wrong.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

People died for Jim Jones and David Koresh as well, maybe they were both Jesus reincarnated?

555 Right on! And at least we KNOW these cult leaders actually existed with proof and evidence. 

• Like 1