Haze: What to do about corn without killing the golden goose?

webfact

"Government has limited forest monitoring and use-enforcement costs or agricultural extension costs at the rural fringe"

I thought this was a military government and had an army and air force at its disposal? Let's not let them get in the way of making money. 

It sounds like there could be some kind of a biofuel solution here. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Laws protect such lands,

Right there is the Thai problem because we all know that laws are not protecting the land. There are laws but not known, not enforced and easily bypassed. Making use of the 78% of the corn not eaten is the obvious solution and needs implementing as soon as possible and only means making the poor farmer understand he is burning a useful product that could add profit to his crop. Thai farmers may not be geniuses but if they can turn something into cash they will go for it. But they need teaching and so far no govt has stepped up to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is strange that corn is grown in many countries very successfully, however, very few of these countries have this problem. I wonder why that is?

Could it be because the farmers in other countries use the "waste" as biomass to improve the soil and reduce weeds through mulching? This reduces cash costs to the farmer. but it does not make the sellers of those "important" agricultural chemicals richer. Yes it takes time for the waste to break down but modern (and old) agricultural practice recommends putting a paddock to fallow after an intense crop, this diversifies the operation of the farm giving a range of income streams.

Nail on the head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vinniekintana said:

Is it me or do thais actually enjoy smoke/smog?

How else can you explain the usual dawn/dusk rubbish burnings only a short distance from a garbage bin?

We farangs can never learn (no matter how long time we've been in Thailand) how they think.

^^ exactly, I live in nan and the slopes are way too steep for machinery.  Planted by hand. harvested by hand. I don't know a lot about silage but back home when I saw the rows of it fermenting (?) in plastic rows it was for onsite use, don't know if would be feasible to ship/sell.

^ Fruit trees, tea, coffee, etc would be much better for air quality as well as curbing erosion on the hillsides. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

You can put fruit trees on those hills though.

2 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Sounds like most of you guys have not seen the mountains where this corn is grown.  There is no way you can put machinery on those steep slopes.  Here is an area which isn't very steep, near to where I live.

212860428_Favorites205.thumb.jpg.3f5918b1d1617add3883a53a9e415f7b.jpg

Coffee plantations would look good on those slopes... after the coffee bean harvest pick the young leaves to make tea.. year round crop..

5 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

The corn waste could be broken into the soil with rotavators

You would need a tractor obviously ...not many farmers have them

Is it me or do thais actually enjoy smoke/smog?

How else can you explain the usual dawn/dusk rubbish burnings only a short distance from a garbage bin?

Father did it, grandfather did it etc etc. They were older and wiser than me so that's why we do it.

Shouldn't be planting corn there.

One day "village farang" will wake up in a treeless hell hole...it looks like it is happening before his very eyes..about 50% gone I figure.

However,they might have acknowledged that the unsupervised growing of corn might be a problem but then again,it might not as who needs trees and natural forestation anyway?

Come to Chiang Mai..the Sahara oasis of SE Asia.

Edited by Odysseus123

7 hours ago, canopy said:

I come from one of the largest corn producing nations in the world. I have never seen a farmer burn a field. And I have never heard of needing do gooders to come in and evangelize farmers to make stinky, smoldering, 3rd world biochar in order to survive economically. In my country the stalks are beneficial economically and often go back in the soil or used as silage. The problem here is not corn at all. The problem is whatever a thai farmer grows, be it sugar, rice, or corn, he burns it. They enjoy burning their stuff and it's as simple as that. They also burn all their trash and plastics. In order to solve a problem you first have to understand what the problem is. Until people realize farmers burn for enjoyment rather than economics the solutions offered may not work. The article got one thing right "burning is easiest"--it's perfect for lazy people who don't care about profits or the environment and love setting fires. There you have it.

Excellent summation, they love to burn stuff. They can't wait to burn stuff.

Every year our lychee trees drop millions of leaves and make a really great anti-weed mat, soil moisture protection, and provide nutrients for the trees.

until the day the burning ban is over. Out come the rakes and lighters and bye bye leaves. Later they are out there spraying and chopping down the weeds that sprout from their fire hardened soil. Such meaninglessness.

• Like 1

The article started out good, but it falters on one important point. No one is burning corn waste at this time of year. They are burning overgrowth to plant the next round of corn. The seasonal smoke is still corn related (aside from the burning forests for mushrooms) but the corn stalks left over in the field are not causing the smoke problems in March and April.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Those hills got planted with corn by machinery, they aren't out there doing by hand.

I grew up on a farm in Alberta Canada, until the late 60's we burned the stuble in the fields after harvest and the sky's in the fall looked like Thailand now. You did need a permit to do so

At one point the government stopped giving permits and my dad and other farmers went and bought a discer to chop up the stuble and plow it back into the ground.

The old the farmers here are poor and don't have the equipment is nonsense,

I've lived in Nakon Sahkon province in the sticks for 15 years now, There are more Kubotas than you can shake a stick at.

When they came out with the rototiller I bought one, the locals had never seen one and were amazed that you could prep rice paddies in one pass. Now in my village everyone with a tractor has one.

The problem is as everyone know, burning is the easiest, cheapest way to clear the land, And that fits Thailand to a T

All by hand, I have watched it dozens of times. The guy in front has a long bamboo pole with semi-circle chisel bit on one end. And the guy following is dropping seeds in the holes made by the guy in front. And they move along at an impressive pace. Usually, there are 3 or four pairs of planters covering a lot of land in a short time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is strange that corn is grown in many countries very successfully, however, very few of these countries have this problem. I wonder why that is?

Could it be because the farmers in other countries use the "waste" as biomass to improve the soil and reduce weeds through mulching? This reduces cash costs to the farmer. but it does not make the sellers of those "important" agricultural chemicals richer. Yes it takes time for the waste to break down but modern (and old) agricultural practice recommends putting a paddock to fallow after an intense crop, this diversifies the operation of the farm giving a range of income streams.

machines and flat ground. Cant beat picking by hand.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

All by hand, I have watched it dozens of times. The guy in front has a long bamboo pole with semi-circle chisel bit on one end. And the guy following is dropping seeds in the holes made by the guy in front. And they move along at an impressive pace. Usually, there are 3 or four pairs of planters covering a lot of land in a short time.

I stand corrected,

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

We farangs can never learn (no matter how long time we've been in Thailand) how they think.

this is a widely repeated narrative, but it is only true for most white folks... or Europeans, or whatever.  some of us are just as bright as the other “kohn tang chat”.  maybe it’s related to being able to speak the local dialect... whichever one it is, and living with Thai more closely than other white folks.

Edited by WeekendRaider