FamilyMart launches no plastic drive

webfact

FamilyMart launches no plastic drive

By The Nation 

d7785c4cd9ea7d1acfa25a3e1c489ade.jpeg

FamilyMart is showing its concern for the environment with the launch of a new “Green FamilyMart” campaign. 

Plastic waste is today considered a major environmental crisis, with much of the problem caused by the reliance on plastic bags. 

Plastic bags take almost 500 years to degrade and accumulate in landfills or the natural environment with severe negative impacts on the ecosystem. In Thailand, which is heavily burdened by plastic waste, both the government and private sectors are focusing on environmental campaigns that invite consumers to say no to plastic bags when buying goods from stores.

The situation has led FamilyMart employees to launch the “Green FamilyMart” campaign to promote awareness among Thai consumers of the need to protect natural resources. 

Chiranun Poopat, president of Central FamilyMart, says that environmental preservation and sustainability are among the key missions of Central FamilyMart and all other subsidiaries of the Central Group.

Activities include giving directions to employees to separate the garbage before leaving, as well as to reduce and stop the single use of plastic bags. The Green FamilyMart committees are committed to play a role in restoring natural resources and not create waste or pollution. 

“Over the past several years, we have worked together with our customers, the government sector and local communities on many campaigns, such as the sorting of wet garbage at Koh Samui. This has resulted in the reduction of up to 30 tonnes of wet garbage per annum and allowed processing of biogas for schools on the island.

‘Every No Bag’ is another activity and here we ask for cooperation from our customers to say no to plastic bags while also reducing the number of plastic bags given out at our stores throughout the country.

A ‘No Bag Store’ campaign has been launched at selected FamilyMart stores. Other activities include the campaign for reduction of plastic bags in Phuket in cooperation with local communities, and the company’s involvement in the government’s project encouraging people to stop using plastic bags on the fourth day of every month.

“We were able to reduce the amount of plastic bags by more than 30 per cent in 2018 compared to the previous year. For 2019, Green FamilyMart plans to expand its campaign in order to reduce plastic bags in many other areas in collaboration with other companies under the Central Group to underline its commitment to caring for the environment and building sustainability.

“We are also aiming to reduce the amount of plastic bags offered by the FamilyMart stores by another 30 per cent this year,” said Chiranun.

Today, to mark Earth Day, FamilyMart is launching an activity to show its involvement in environmental protection by not offering plastic bags to customers at its stores nationwide. The company has also organised an internal campaign to encourage staff to turn off the electricity for one hour. 

FamilyMart operates about 1,010 stores, half of them energy saving outlets. Over the past four years, FamilyMart has reduced its electricity consumption by 80 million units and reduced its carbon footprint by more than 80,000 tonnes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368102

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-22

Why not get paper bags. Just been to the Philippines, and the convenience stores and supermarkets near where i was staying had paper bags exclusively, and used boxes for shoppers with trolley loads of stuff.

While i admire family mart recognizing the plastic curse, their unwillingness to be bold and move to paper bags is just about profit margins.

They're a big enough company, they should lead rather than follow if they want to appear as responsible

The Philippine idea of using paper bags and boxes is great. I notice when these stores go "no Plastic" it is up to the customer to bring or buy a bag. What's up with that???? Companies years ago went to plastic for convenience and to save money. Now that the plastic game is winding up, it is the responsibility of the stores to supply the customer with bags, not to expect the customer to come up with something to save a corporataion like 7-11 money. Tesco, in fact, does supply the paper bags. Where are the entrepreneurs when we need them?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

‘Every No Bag’ is another activity and here we ask for cooperation from our customers to say no to plastic bags while also reducing the number of plastic bags given out at our stores throughout the country.

A ‘No Bag Store’ campaign has been launched at selected FamilyMart stores. Other activities include the campaign for reduction of plastic bags in Phuket in cooperation with local communities, and the company’s involvement in the government’s project encouraging people to stop using plastic bags on the fourth day of every month.

Just stop giving out plastic bags... stop sodding about with gimmick ideas!

Start using paper bags  at every store 100% of the time.

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I hope they figure out some kind of reminder system to tell me to be sure to bring the bag with me when I go into the store.    I have enough trouble remembering to put the recycle bags back in the car truck (boot)

Just go to Big-C. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Plastic bags take almost 500 years to degrade

I've kept stuff stored away in plastic bags I get from supermarkets, and when I've gone to get them several months later the bags have crumbled to dust. So where do the 500 years come in, and how have they tested that, bearing in mind we haven't had plastic bags for 500 years?

Speaking of Family Mart...it would be nice if ALL of their stores had “nose guards” or a plastic shield protecting their grilled hotdogs that are next to the check-out counter. /So unsanitary with customers standing in line coughing and sneezing over the exposed food. ????

5 hours ago, z42 said:

Why not get paper bags. Just been to the Philippines, and the convenience stores and supermarkets near where i was staying had paper bags exclusively, and used boxes for shoppers with trolley loads of stuff.

While i admire family mart recognizing the plastic curse, their unwillingness to be bold and move to paper bags is just about profit margins.

They're a big enough company, they should lead rather than follow if they want to appear as responsible

Exactly!!! Bags can be made out of rice stalks, hemp, banana leaves... 7-Elevens should be in the lead- not a late follower. 

Good start, but let's be honest they should just announce no more plastic bags from a specific date, and just get on with it. People will adapt and change their habits. If not, they will just have to lump it. 

The Kenyan method is the best I have read about so far. If Kenya can do it, Thailand can do it ... but can they be bothered to do it?

Also, stop using plastic cups and straws. It is not the hardest thing in the world to carry a flask or water bottle. They could easily have dispensers for drinks which release a certain quantity of liquid - for example 250, 500, 750, 1000 ml. It's not rocket science.

We all know that 'Educating' Thai people to do anything sensible is well nigh impossible; much better then if ALL the Supermarkets just publish a date when they will cease to provide plastic bags.    This is the only way you will get Thai people to do something usefull...force the issue on them !

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just stop giving out plastic bags... stop sodding about with gimmick ideas!

Start using paper bags  at every store 100% of the time.

A drop in the ocean, but a start. There is more plastic in a blister pack of pills than there is in a plastic bag.

And the paper bags will contain chilled drinks, yogurts, toothpastes, shampoos etc in plastic. Mama noodles and micromeals in Styrofoam. Biros, combs, raincoat, mobile phone covers, ice cream wrappers, spoons....on and on

So feel good about the paper bag by all means, but what goes inside it?

7 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Let's hope it lasts longer that the 7/11 one did ...

What?! You mean 7/11 has/had a similar campaign?!  I never noticed... ????

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Just go to Big-C. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Exactly!!! Bags can be made out of rice stalks, hemp, banana leaves... 7-Elevens should be in the lead- not a late follower. 

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Went to BigC Megga in Khon Kaen yesterday, no cut back on bags. Got 9 bags were 4 was enough for,our purchases.

They are not trained. The bags do come in handy in the rubish bin for the kitchen.

Archived